• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Help me name my overgod

DonTadow

First Post
Drew said:
My homebrew world's cosmology includes a now dead creator deity. He/It passed his own lifeforce into the world, giving life to all things. I have been refering to him as "The Creator," but that's getting tiresome. I need help coming up with a name!

I'd prefer the name to sound exotic: like a word in an old language that means "creator." Other than that, I don't have any real specifics in mind. As long as its cool and keeps to a fairly typical D&D flavor. Help is appreciated.

Perhaps his name can't be produced by humanoid tounges so he is referred to as the creator or the nameless one. I have a demon god in my campaign that is such. His followeres attempted to name him once and he destroyed their temples because of the blasphemy.

Richards

Legend
In my campaign, one of my players wanted to play a cleric of an "Uber-god," but couldn't come up with an appropriate name. So we took to calling him "Oob" (short for "Uber-god," naturally.)

Johnathan

Drew

Explorer
DonTadow said:
Perhaps his name can't be produced by humanoid tounges so he is referred to as the creator or the nameless one. I have a demon god in my campaign that is such. His followeres attempted to name him once and he destroyed their temples because of the blasphemy.

I like the destroyed temples thing. That's very cool.

The problem with just calling him "The Creator" is the way it sounds when I'm writing up the creation myth. "The universe was created by the Creator" sounds stupid to me.

Templetroll

Explorer
Thornir Alekeg said:
Does your world have a name? If so, make The Creator's name the same as the world, or use part of the world name, the root if there could be one, as his name.

Yeah, the players knew my homebrew was named N's and about 8 years later I ran an adventure where they talked to a bardic god andhe told them the word of power was 'joh' which was to be used in conjunction with the name of the world. ;)

I almost got hit for that one.

Templetroll

Explorer
DonTadow said:

Along with the Clint Eastwood theme:

"I know what you're thinking. "Did he smite six temples or only five?" Well, to tell you the truth, in all this excitement I kind of lost track myself. But being as this is a Mighty Rod of Smiting the Apostate, the most powerful artifact in the world, and would blow your head clean off if you even think of touching it, you've got to ask yourself a question: Do I feel lucky? Well, do ya, Evil High Punk?"

Megatron

Explorer
the overpowers of Erthos are Dimn, Omn, and Falm, all of which serve the greater force of the Urpower(the dm) At one time they were known as the Aspects and before that was Essence The One.
I would try out some simple titles instead of names, because really how could a god that died creating the world have departed the knowledge of his name to said world? Just something I thought of.

The Mover
The First
All
Ur
Panthiss
I
Am

radferth

First Post
Steal from Lord Dunsany and go with Mana-Yood-Sooshy (or something like that) from his Pegana stories. MYS created the universe in his dreams while he slept. The lesser gods had to make sure he stayed sleeping or the universe would cease to exist. Sounds kind of like your overgod, except for the waking up part.

Remove ads