D&D 5E Help me pick my next level (and feat)!

Alomir

First Post
My wizard, Agar, is about to hit 18th level (he made it by 20 xp!). I'd appreciate any suggestions for what level to take, and what feat to select. I figure that there is probably a wealth of possibilities of which I am unaware...

I'm looking for 'that woulds be neat and fun to play' much more than 'that would be really powerful'.

I'd put in a link to his character sheet, but Sagiro's web site seems to be down due to attbi/comcast merger issues. Here's the summary:

Agar
Wizard (Diviner) 6/Alienist 7/Planeshifter 4

selected skills:
+20-and-over: concentration, knowledge(arcana), knowledge(planes), scry, spellcraft
+10-19: listen, spot

feats:
improved familiar, craft wonderous item, eschew materials, extend spell, persistent spell (toned-down version), repeat spell, scribe scroll, run, alertness, skill focus: concentration

Any thoughts?

Sculpt Spell (from Tome & Blood) is underrated, I think. It's also fun.

Spell Thematics (FRCS? I think) is the ultimate "not too powerful but really cool" metamagic feat.

Or you can peruse the magic item lists, find one you really like, and take the appropriate Item Creation feat. I'm rather fond of Craft Rod, myself.

Gideon

First Post
Demons

If I recall correctly, Young Master Agar is in some doo doo with a demon, I suggest spell penetration. But that is more focused towards mechanics. Another feat is repeat spell.

Just imagine Agar tossing down a big fire ball, lighting his pipe off the heat and smiling/waving at the still alive baddie...then POW, the repeated spell goes off. And really, you're gonna need good smelling pipe smoke to offset the burnt/charred ghoul smell.

Maybe you could talk PC into letting you take a feat 'incinerate bugs'....anytime a bug touches your magic spell that keeps them away it instantly incinerates! That would be a quality Agar feat.

Spatzimaus

First Post
His full character sheet is at:
http://home.comcast.net/~dorian.hart/agar.html

Gideon: he already has Repeat Spell. Although, I don't think we've seen him use it...yet...

I'm a big believer in Improved Initiative. Do unto others before they do unto you, after all. With only a 20 AC, you can't really afford to let those Rogue-types move before you.

It's a bit mundane, but Spell Focus and/or Spell Penetration might be a good idea. For style purposes, Spell Thematics is just plain FUN.

I'd stay away from adding more metamagic or item creation Feats. Down in the Underdark you won't have much time to make new items, and you already have four metamagics. This'll be your last non-Epic Feat, too.

Last edited:

Alomir

First Post
Spatzimaus said:
Hey, it's up - thanks for posting that link, Spatzimous.

Feat-wise, I think I'm leaning towards either Spell Focus or Spell Penetration - but, I don't know what Spell Thematics is; anyone care to enlighten me?

Any level suggestions? Of the three possibilities that I know of (the ones he already has), this is what I've been thinking:

---Planeshifter: next level here does NOT give a spellcaster level - which means I wouldn't get 9th level spells. I don't think Agar would pass up the opportunity for the top level.

---Alienist: I'm having a lot of fun playing Agar's insect phobia at its current level - I'm not sure I want to see it doubled. I'm not sure the rest of the group wants to see it doubled either....

---Wizard: Kind of the vanilla choice - but with 9th level spells :)

- A

Spatzimaus

First Post
Hmm. Wizard is really the boring choice. But of the three, it's probably the best choice, although I wouldn't worry about the increased phobia as much. In a group that size it's okay if you're off twitching in fear in the corner on occasion; someone will be there to pick up the slack. Besides, it adds character.

If PC lets you, you could probably add another PrC. You have all of the Loremaster prereqs right now, except for the Skill Focus, and I'm sure there are others out there you qualify for as-is. That's getting pretty munchkin, though (no pun intended). It's probably a bit late for a retroactive customized PrC.

Oh, for Feats I forgot to mention Leadership. Your Charisma may not be that hot, and down in the Underdark you're really not in a position to get a ton of Followers, but I'm sure you could find a good Cohort down there, just like Malachite did. Of course, this makes a large group that much bigger. Hey, whose cohort is Priggle, anyway?
This is especially nice if you stick with Alienist; no matter how bad your insect phobia gets, your Cohort will still be there to cover for you.

Spell Thematics

from Crystal Keep's d20 site...

Spell Thematics

Magic Of Faerun, p. 22

Prerequisite: Ability to cast an illusion

Alters the special effects of all your spells to fit a theme. This does
not alter the actual spell effect. For example, if you choose "fire",
your Magic Missile spells look like bolts of fire but do not do fire
damage. Gives +5 to the DC of Spellcraft checks used to identify
your spell.

= = = = =

So you could choose "grinning skulls" and have your magic missiles be small grinning skulls that nip at people, your fireball could be a huge grinning skulls that bites people hard, your hold person could be a grinning skull that grabs someone like a bulldog and won't let go... really you can't go wrong with any amount of skull-grinning action.

Remove ads