• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

D&D 5E Help Me Plan an Adventure Path!

the Jester

Legend
Hey guys, I am running a group that is basically playing a variety of canned adventures that I am converting to 5e. I would love suggestions for future adventures to use from any edition. The pcs have played and/or are playing the following:

(level 1) the Whispering Cairn (Dungeon Mag)
(level 2-3) the Secret of Bone Hill (L1)

I know that I want to use a few specific adventures:

(level 4) Salvage Operation (Ghosts of Saltmarsh)
(level 6) the Witchwood (the first section of Red Hand of Doom)

I'm considering using the Goodman Games version of Castle Amber. And there's an adventure in, I think, Candlekeep Mysteries that is pretty memorable that I think I might use, but I need to reread it, my memory of it is vague. But I would love some recommendations for good adventures to build a path out of! Don't worry about connecting them, there's an underlying timey-wimey shenanigan going on that allows me to throw stuff at the pcs that wouldn't really make a lot of sense otherwise.

el-remmen

Moderator Emeritus
Consider checking out my suggestions for running “Salvage Operation” on HOW-I-RUN-IT.com. You might find them helpful.

There are a ton of other older adventures I recommend checking out to convert. So I think a sense of what you want to accomplish (or feel you are going for at different levels might help me to help you)

Quickleaf

Legend
Redcap's Rampage by Christopher Perkins (Dungeon #54, 1st-3rd, AD&D) is a nice short village mystery adventure with the dark whimsy that characterizes a lot of Chris' work. I ran it as a one-shot for 5e with an adaptation playing up the comedy as a sort of D&D: Hangover Edition, and it was good times.

I ran a series of 6 converted adventures from Dungeon, all by Chris Perkins, for various players online. Redcap's Rampage was the first IIRC. The others were Wards of the Witching Ways (~3rd level, takes a heavy rework to be good), A Wizard's Fate (1st level, don't recommend), Umbra (Planescape ~6th level, highly recommend, but I'm biased), Scourge of Scalabar (~3rd level, recommended), and Dragon's Delve (~10th level, recommended).

I've attached my pdf 5e adaptation for 3rd level, but there's a lot of description and nuance in the dungeon adventure that you'd want to pick up.

Attachments

• Redcap's Rampage_3rd level.pdf
    910 KB · Views: 53

the Jester

Legend
Consider checking out my suggestions for running “Salvage Operation” on HOW-I-RUN-IT.com. You might find them helpful.
I'll take a look!

There are a ton of other older adventures I recommend checking out to convert. So I think a sense of what you want to accomplish (or feel you are going for at different levels might help me to help you)
Mostly this group is to give me an opportunity to run old adventures that either I haven't run previously or that I haven't run in years. So any suggestions for good adventures are fine.

I do prefer adventures that aren't just one note, with a variety of encounter types and available solutions.

el-remmen

Moderator Emeritus
I’ve been setting up running “Tallow’s Deep” and looking for a place to drop “Chadranther’s Bane” both from Dungeon #18.

I am also converting UK4- When a Star Falls, which will soon be converted in Quests from the Infinite Staircase, but you know me, I’m a DIYDnDer. 😉

the Jester

Legend
At the moment, I'm looking specifically for something designed for 3rd or 4th level pcs at the moment. The group is about done with L1 (or as done as they're going to be, there are a lot of things to do in it if you want to be a completist) and I'm trying to decide what's next. Maybe I'll use the Ghosts of Saltmarsh conversion of U2 or U3, I'd have to look 'em over. But I am open to other suggestions. I don't have Dungeon 18, so I'm not familiar with the two adventures you named. I am planning on picking up TftIS when it comes out, so UK4 might be an option.

the Jester

Legend
So U2- Danger at Dunwater- it is! They'll be starting it tonight.

So I have or am considering using:

(level 1) the Whispering Cairn (Dungeon Magazine)*
(level 2) the Secret of Bone Hill (L1)*
(level 3) Danger at Dunwater (Ghosts of Saltmarsh)
(level 4) Salvage Operation (Ghosts of Saltmarsh)
(level 6) The Witchwood (pt 1 of Red Hand of Doom)
(level 7-8) Maybe Gates of Firestorm Peak? Or White Plume Mountain? Not sure what level the pcs will be coming out of the Witchwood adventure.
(level 9) Probably Lost Caverns of Tsojcanth but maybe The Champion's Belt (Dungeon Magazine).
(level 15) Maybe the Prince of Redhand (Dungeon Magazine)
(level 18) Possibly Wells of Darkness (Dungeon Magazine) or Kings of the Rift (also Dungeon Magazine)

*Already done.

There is an underlying plot involving the pcs being shifted into different times, so Wells of Darkness is a great opportunity for the pcs to learn about that, if I tweak it a little. Then again, so is the Prince of Redhand adventure, so there's kind of some overlap between them in terms of why I'm considering them.

the Jester

Legend
I'm thinking of throwing P1: King of the Trollhaunt Warrens in, too- it was one of 4e's few great adventures. That would fit nicely at levels 11 to 12, I think.

So I still need a level 10...

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads