Help me price a magic item! Sword that ignores all DR ...

Forrester

First Post
A little help pricing a magic item, please! This one's a simple one -- magical sword, +2 to hit and damage, and all extraordinary/magical/supernatural/what-have-you DR is ignored, up to and including Epic-level DR. The only DR that wouldn't be ignored is standard "Hardness" DR that objects tend to have, and X/- DR, of the type Barbarians build up.

As written in the MIC, it can only be placed on ranged weapons. I'm not sure why. It also lets you ignore the miss chance due to incorporealness.

You could always raise it to +3. If you go with +3, then your PCs probably wouldn't be able to afford it till 11th or 12th level. By that point the wizard is dropping Acid Fog and Antimagic Fields. So it would definitely be a nice boost for the fighter.

I do know from experience that there are a lot of monsters that become much weaker when you are able to ignore their DR. Especially if it's something weird like Adamantine.

Lylandra

Adventurer
In PF, weapons start to automatically penetrate some DR when their enhancement bonus increases. So if you already play homebrew, you could include this rule as well... Of course, epic would still need +6, but I guess you wouldn't throw around /epic in your presumed level range.

TDRandall

Explorer
But weren't ranged weapons for arrows and such, so only one time use? And so having this on something permanently available be much higher?

I would think you need something epic to beat epic, and that layered on top of the 'base' +2 to hit and damage. But it has been quite a while.

A bow can confer their abilities on the ammunition they fire.

Epic DR typically needs +6 or better. Or Force effects, I guess. Though there's nothing wrong with saying that the Force enhancement doesn't beat x/epic.

Greenfield

Adventurer
Ammunition enhancements vanish once they're used.

Hurled weapons are another matter. So throwing axes, throwing knives, spears etc. Hell, just thinking of a +1 Cabor with the Force enhancement makes me laugh.

Some guy in a kilt walking through a dungeon with a telephone pole over his shoulder has got to be tried at least once.

Please, somebody stat me a cabor! Please?!?!? :)

Remove ads

AD6_gamerati_skyscraper

Remove ads

Recent & Upcoming Releases