• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Help me price this item.

Hervis

Explorer
The wizard in my party want to make an item that would give a +2 bonus to all Knowledge skills. You would still need the skill to use it, but all knowledeges that you have would get the bonus.

How should I price this item.

Thanks

Hervis

MarauderX

Explorer
I would probably split it up into the component pieces, 1 item per knowledge category. After that I would compare it to other items that increase abilities and skills.

kreynolds

First Post
Hervis said:
The wizard in my party want to make an item that would give a +2 bonus to all Knowledge skills. You would still need the skill to use it, but all knowledeges that you have would get the bonus.

How should I price this item.

Well, a stone of good luck, among other things, grants a +1 bonus to all skill checks. The stone accomplishes three things (attacks, saves, skill checks), so the quick and dirty breakdown is that the skill bonus thing is roughly one-third the total price, which is about 3,300gp.

A +2 bonus to only Knowledge skills wouldn't be as costly though. Here's an example. Assuming that a character wouldn't have need for more than ten Knowledge skills anyway, I'll start with that. A +2 bonus to a skill is worth 80gp. A second +2 bonus to another skill, on the same item, is double that (if the item takes up a slot). So, we have 80 + (160 x 9) = 1,520gp. So, you get a +2 bonus to a total of only 10 skills. Comparing that to the Stone of Good Luck, which gives the bonus to every single skill, I can safely say that my price isn't too low. In fact, I think it might be too high, but I wouldn't suggest lowering it below 1,000gp. After all, Knowledge is a useful skill, but its not that useful.

Anth

First Post
I agree with kreynolds- BUT:
FIRST decide the price for a +1 bonus,
THEN a +2 bonus is 4 times as expensive, and a +3 bonus is 9 times as expensive.
Take a look on Headband of Intellect and you see what I mean.

kreynolds

First Post
Anth said:
I agree with kreynolds- BUT:
FIRST decide the price for a +1 bonus,
THEN a +2 bonus is 4 times as expensive, and a +3 bonus is 9 times as expensive.
Take a look on Headband of Intellect and you see what I mean.

Eh? Why do you need to decide the price of the +1 bonus first? Just jump to the bonus you want, price it, and you're done.

Datt

First Post
Actually the Luckstone doesn't add to attacks, it adds to Ability checks.
Stone of Good Luck (Luckstone)
The possessor of this stone gains a +1 luck bonus on saving throws, ability checks, and skill checks.

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads