Help me run a LOST game (tons of spoilers for the TV series)

If you don't want spoilers about LOST, I suggest not reading this thread.

A discussion with my gamer friends who watch Lost led to the idea, "What would happen if the main characters acted like gamers, instead of TV show characters?" We basically feel like the first few seasons only could happen because the 'PCs' -- Jack, Kate, Sawyer, and Sayid -- didn't bother to go exploring the island, and didn't involve themselves in solving the mysteries.

So I found four friends who only know the most basic (and often wrong) stuff about the show. 'There's some guy who was in a wheelchair, and can walk now.' 'There's a polar bear, but it's really a smoke monster.' 'They're supposed to all be dead or something.'

They're going to play the main four characters. No one gets to play Locke, because I want to try to keep the plot similar to the show's except when the PCs go in a different direction, and Locke's a pretty major component. If a PC dies, they can take over someone else, like Charlie, Boone, or maybe even Hurley.

I'm working on a rough timeline so that events will run similar to the show. On day X Jin attacks Michael. On day Y Ethan tries to kidnap Claire. If they get to the hatch, Z days later Ben shows up posing as Henry Gale. And so on.

What I would love, though, is a 'character primer' for each PC. I'll probably just be using D20 Modern for stats, but rather than writing up a backstory, I want to actually show each player the flashbacks associated with his or her character (with the exceptions of some of the dumb ones, like Jack's tattoo).

Does anyone know where I can find this? Or at least a handy list of flashbacks by character, and the episodes they occur in? I want to start in June, after the show ends, so I figure if necessary I'll just borrow my friend's DVDs, rip out the appropriate scenes, and compile them into a video presentation for each character. I just hope it doesn't end up too long.

The key stuff, I figure, is:

Jack - his childhood relationship with his dad, the dural sac event and his brush with Jacob, meeting his wife and Desmond, his adult relationship with his dad, his dad's sacking, bringing his dead father home, talking to Rose on the plane.

Kate - her childhood brush with Jacob, her murdering her father, various on the run scenes including when she gets her childhood crush killed, fleeing the marshal, getting captured in Australia, the 'this is why I need four guns' scene, talking to the marshal on the plane.

Sawyer - parents' murder suicide, brush with Jacob, successful con that goes awry due to kid, unsuccessful con that turns into romance, stint in prison and finding out he's got a kid, going to Australia to kill the real Sawyer, running into Jack's dad. Plus, the PC gets an actual prop that's the letter he wrote as a child.

Sayid - recruited during first Iraq war to be an interrogator, interactions with Nadia as prisoner, time in Paris, mission for CIA in exchange for Nadia's location.

Other things I need to work on are:

A map of the island.

A clear sense of the plot and how to handle the lack of predestination paradoxes (like, what if they don't time travel?).

A comprehensive list of items left over after the crash.

List of other survivors, with pics, on flash cards, so the players can keep track of a large cast.

Stormonu

Legend
Episode "Lock(e)down" in season 2 has a map of the island.

ABC.com is one of your best basic sources of info for Lost. There are also several (official) web sites on Lost. Several of them disguise their true nature and are interactive, mystery-based scavenger hunts that reveal more about Lost.

If I remember correctly, the bonus disk for season 2 had a nice applet on it (playable on a DVD) that showed you how each of the characters were connected, as well as giving bios of the characters at that time.

Also, I started into a Lost-like campaign set in Eberron (the "Island" was somewhere just of Xen'drik). "Wreck of the Venerable Drake". If you're interested in doing a D&D version of Lost, I have a 21"X17" map I hand made for the campaign that I can scan, a pre-crash adventure, factions/secrets document and a 1st adventure 90%+ done. I'd happily post what I have if you want to see it.

Mark

CreativeMountainGames.com
A clear sense of the plot and how to handle the lack of predestination paradoxes (like, what if they don't time travel?).

Since the season and series are coming to an end, it might be helpful to hold off on this plan until it does, and pick up whatever tell all book is sold by the creators of the series as a GM guide to your campaign.

Scribble

First Post
Does anyone know where I can find this? Or at least a handy list of flashbacks by character, and the episodes they occur in? I want to start in June, after the show ends, so I figure if necessary I'll just borrow my friend's DVDs, rip out the appropriate scenes, and compile them into a video presentation for each character. I just hope it doesn't end up too long.

I am a huge LOST fan... used to be even more so when I had more time to obsess over errr... follow the show's clues... :)

Check out: Lostpedia

It should have a lot of the info you need.

Mark said:
Since the season and series are coming to an end, it might be helpful to hold off on this plan until it does, and pick up whatever tell all book is sold by the creators of the series as a GM guide to your campaign.

Well... not sure how true it is, but the producers have "vowed" to never speak of the show again after it's over... :p

Remove ads