help me send Tuerny to GenCon...

Lalato

Adventurer
Hi gang...
My buddy Tuerny (aka doubtofbuddha on other forums... and otherwise known as Jesse Dean) came in third place at yesterday's D&D Miniatures Regional Qualifier. What does this mean? He wins two passes to GenCon and an invitation to play in the National Tournament there.

Unfortunately, he's a poor college student and doesn't have enough money for the trip. I'm simply looking for ways to help my friend make it there on a shoe string.

Perhaps you know someone that is looking for an extra person to share room expenses at a cheap hotel. Maybe you and a group of friends are driving in a big van from somewhere in Georgia or Florida.

The best idea for raising money I've heard so far is to hold a raffle for RPG books and/or Rare D&D Minis. If I can get enough people to buy tickets then it would be easy to raise the money needed (about $350 for flight, lodging and food). If you respond to this thread would be interested in a raffle?

Another idea that was floated to me is that he could volunteer at GenCon for 32 hours and that would pay for his hotel room which would lower his overall cost significantly.

Any ideas are welcome... Thanks for your time.
--sam

Last edited:

Lalato

Adventurer
Oh... just thought I would post again. Someone pointed me to the forums at the GenCon website to see if there were people looking for roomies and/or carpooling. We'll see how it goes. I may just be able to get Tuerny to GenCon on the cheap.

Keep the suggestions coming... on or off list. And please do post whether or not you would be inclined to buy raffle tickets for RPG or Minis.

Thanks...
--sam

Paladin

Explorer
Lalato said:
Keep the suggestions coming... on or off list. And please do post whether or not you would be inclined to buy raffle tickets for RPG or Minis.
If you do a raffle, we'll donate one of our in-stock Royal sized Gamer's Bags to the cause. Let me know the information of who wins it and we'll ship it out to them. Good luck getting there Tuerny! Hopefully we'll see you there.

BrooklynKnight

First Post
Paladin said:
If you do a raffle, we'll donate one of our in-stock Royal sized Gamer's Bags to the cause. Let me know the information of who wins it and we'll ship it out to them. Good luck getting there Tuerny! Hopefully we'll see you there.
Hey PALADIN!

So you guys are coming afterall?

Lalato

Adventurer
Paladin said:

Wow! Thank You! That is very kind of you.

We're currently compiling a list of all the rpg stuff that will go into the raffle. Between Jesse and I we have some popular RPG material that should be appealing.

--sam

Dire Wolf

First Post
Me and a friend are looking for a roommate, but it is not exactly an inexpensive room, as we are staying at the Embassy Suites nearby. The offer is open to have him split costs with us if he is interested.

The best idea for raising money I've heard so far is to hold a raffle for RPG books and/or Rare D&D Minis. If I can get enough people to buy tickets then it would be easy to raise the money needed (about $350 for flight, lodging and food). If you respond to this thread would be interested in a raffle?

We'd donate a couple of Malhavoc products for the raffle as well.

hellbender

First Post
Just be careful if you do have a raffle as legally, only non-profit organizations or groups conducting the raffle on behalf of a non-profit organization for charity may actually sell tickets for such an event. I am not trying to be a spoilsport at all, and I do wish you the best of luck on this. This is not a rumor, either, just a law that was not too strictly enforced, but has been a lot more lately. I do know of a woman who was raffling a quilt to earn money to adopt children from overseas and her raffle was thwarted by IRS officials. The IRS does have a toll free number where you can verify this information.

h (who is not a lawyer or whistleblower and whose personal advice is to be lowkey)

RPGRealms

First Post
hellbender said:
Just be careful if you do have a raffle as legally, only non-profit organizations or groups conducting the raffle on behalf of a non-profit organization for charity may actually sell tickets for such an event. I am not trying to be a spoilsport at all, and I do wish you the best of luck on this. This is not a rumor, either, just a law that was not too strictly enforced, but has been a lot more lately. I do know of a woman who was raffling a quilt to earn money to adopt children from overseas and her raffle was thwarted by IRS officials. The IRS does have a toll free number where you can verify this information.

As far as I have been informed this is correct. Please check with an attorney before you try something like this.

If you do end up doing something along these lines (maybe an auction?) contact me and I'll be happy to donate a copy of the Traveller's Handbook and Gateway to Destiny to help the cause.

Last edited:

Remove ads