• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Help me to visualize a Gurgach (wild elven) village

RavenSinger

First Post
The Kesh-tan of Casciorna

Again, thanks for all the great replies!

What I've come up with is definately in the Native American vein. Because the setting is based on Northern California, I did some research into the Coastonoan/Ohlone tribe, which is the nation that occupied this land before the Spainiards came. The following is are the brief notes I gave to my players regarding this group.

Notes on the Kesh-tan (Hill Elves) of Casciorna

**The Kesh-tan is one of two groups of Elves that inhabit the lands of Casciorna, the other being the Kesh-ket (Forest-Elves).

**Of the two groups, the Kesh-tan out number their cousins by a ratio of approximately three to one, mainly because their homelands are so much larger.

**The Kesh-tan range in the hills and the low mountains all around the Casciornan Sea (San Francisco Bay). Their governmental structure is a loose federation of tribal units that are semi-nomadic. There are a few permanent settlements, however most bands move with the seasons--into the hills for summer grazing, and down to the sea for fishing in the winter. Each band has a religious leader (druid) as well as a leader for defense (ranger). Disputes are settled by discussion, or by a council of approximately 10 elder members of the band.

**Dwellings are made by digging shallow (4 ft.) pits approximately 15 to 20 feet in diameter, and covering them over with a frame work of willow branches and redwood bark. In the winter the dwelling is also plastered with mud to keep out the cold. Fire pits are usually placed in the center of the dwelling, and a smoke hole is cut in the roof. A dwelling is expected to hold at least one family unit.

**The Kesh-tan get along fairly well with their human and halfling neighbors, though lately there have been stories of tensions brewing between the races.

**Most favored classes of the Kesh-tan are Druid and Ranger, though a few opt for the arcane arts, and go to the Kesh-ket for training.

**Keshan name structure follows a certain format. Their first names are usually in Keshan, and individuals are addressed by their first names by all Keshans. Their second name is a family name, and is usually spoken in the common tongue. The only time these names are used is in human dealings, or when dealing with the Kesh-ket, as their naming system is more structured. Sample names are: Nefti Spinningstaff, Tham Redleaf, Hathas Oakwrath, Junsi Gust-of-Wind

**One of Keshan's favorite pastimes is to sit and talk in a sauna structure called a kivan-sho. These are not only used to relax, but also they are often used for meditation and cleansing rituals. A kivan-sho is constructed much as the living dwellings are, except for a few features. They are often much smaller (only 8 ft. across), and they are always plastered with mud to keep the heat and steam in. As many as ten Keshan's can be in a kivan-sho at any one time.

Questions? Comments?
--RavenSinger

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads