Help me understand my computers, and what to update!

ssampier

First Post
Windows versions and activation

The legality of what version of Windows is murky, at best.

Keep in mind I am no lawyer.

OEM is designed only for system builders. You are on your own for support (you can't call Microsoft). Recently a post on Zdnet indicated that amateur system builders / DIY'ers are not allowed to use OEM Windows. If you buy it, you're in grey-market terrain, at best.

Upgrade versions usually check for previous version of Windows or require the disk. I haven't had good luck with this since most manufacturers don't give you the full Windows disk; just a disk image.

Full versions, you know what this is.

As for activation, I haven't checked what Windows 7 requires, but generally there is a "fingerprint" of system hardware; if this changes that re-triggers activation.

I haven't tested this, but I understand the phone support folks are really understanding.

Janx

Hero
I just built a new server that had "memory" limits. It was an early model, which restricted how much I could actually put in (in my case, only 16GB).

The point is, research the memory limit on the hardware, AND the OS.

Be wary of upgrading Windoze, that never ends well, better off installing from scratch.

Consider doing Remote Desktop of the desktop unit, from the laptop. It's free, and your craptop can take advantage of the desktop's power. Mileage varies by what you're doing. For work, I VPN from home and remote desktop into my office PC. Performance is WAY better than trying to access work files from my laptop to work servers.

Odds are good, 4gb is the limit on the laptop. You might be lucky and go higher, but I doubt it. Laptops have 0-2 slots, and they're usually full.

The desktop only having <1GB is a warning sign it is an older unit. Which means it is limited on max memory (though the good news, its prolly cheaper).

For most people with "old" PCs, I tell them to take $500 down to Worst Buy and purchase whatever falls off the shelf into their cart. It is almost always better than what they own.

The exception for that advice is people who play high end games or do graphics/video work. That usually requires better hardware, namely video. For that, you should plan to spend more and do more research.

I bought my wife's Toshiba 3GHz dual core laptop for $300 from Frye's. It works great. She's happy with it for internet/facebook/email.

Nellisir

Hero
Consider doing Remote Desktop of the desktop unit, from the laptop. It's free, and your craptop can take advantage of the desktop's power. Mileage varies by what you're doing. For work, I VPN from home and remote desktop into my office PC. Performance is WAY better than trying to access work files from my laptop to work servers.

This sounds like A Good Idea. Can you explain a little more about it?

Thanks!
N.

Thanee

First Post
If you buy it, you're in grey-market terrain, at best.

Well, that certainly depends a bit on where you are. Like around here you can buy the OEM version and install it on several machines (unlimited, really), just not more than one at a time. Because the crap Microsoft pulls with their licensing stuff is not legal here. If you buy the software it's yours.

Bye
Thanee

ssampier

First Post
Sorry about that, Thanee. I was coming from a US perspective.

I built my own computer 2 years. I actually did buy the OEM version thinking it was okay. Then I learned, no, it is not. I tried to do the right thing; I am not about to buy the full version now.

Last edited:

Remove ads