Help me with the story of this Elf

Terraism

Explorer
Amazing Triangle said:
I really like the Sigil story but how do you reckon one gets there pre-epic and also gets back?
I liked the Sigil idea, too - very nice one, Rasha! Kudos.

As far as getting there and back, Plane Shift is a 5th level cleric (and, thus, I believe, artificer,) spell, so it's doable at ninth level. Sigil doesn't have a particularly hostile environment, and it's got an entire class of normal, everyday (extraplanar, but everyday) people living there, so at ninth level, the character would definitely be capable of holding his own. At 18th? No problems whatsoever.

DogBackward

First Post
I once had an idea for an Archivist that I never got to play. Perhaps I could live vicariously through some guy I don't know, who's probably half-way around the world, and has no clue who the hell I am...

The basic idea was that this Archivist (I usually play humans, but an elf works just fine) wasn't the type to worship. He didn't really like the devotion and ridiculous rituals required by the countless deities. He was, however, absolutely fascinated with religion. He loved to find out not only why people worshipped the gods, but how, and he grew even more excited as he learned the details behind different pantheons and individual deities. This Archivist doesn't worship the gods, he studies them.

Thing is, with all of his research, he's found a few interesting details. Tiny clues, things that would mean nothing to most. But then, this man isn't most, what with his sky-high Intelligence, and the meaning of these clues becomes more and more obvious the more of them he finds. Everybody knows that, together, the gods created this world and all the others. What nobody knows, save for your Archivist, is that something else may well have created the gods...

Your reason for the epic adventuring would be to find out more about this possible higher entity. Is it real? If so, why did it create the gods? Is it even sentient? What are its plans for the multiverse now? Do the gods themselves know of this being's existance? And so on and so forth...

sniffles

First Post
I imagine elves as being endlesslly inquisitive, at least the ones who go adventuring. Without curiosity and a desire to see new things and/or meet new challenges, what reason would a member of any race have to risk his life as an adventurer?

Perhaps your Loremaster is still adventuring because no one else could meet his exacting standards for locating and obtaining the desired information. Or perhaps part of the fun for him in gathering all this lore is the obtaining of it, the challenge of acquiring something that has been lost for millenia or was never known by anyone else in history. It's not just the accumulation of knowledge that's important to him, but how he acquired it.

He could be writing an epic saga about his adventures. Or an encyclopedia of world knowledge. He might consider himself the elven equivalent of Darwin or Robert Peary.

Last edited:

werk

First Post
Amazing Triangle said:
I really like the Sigil story but how do you reckon one gets there pre-epic and also gets back?

:D

I would love more ideas to look at if anyone has any feel free to add them!

I don't know how much you know about Sigil or planescape on the whole, but it's easy enough to get there and back, you just need to know where a portal is and have the key.

He could very easily be reading a book, walk through a doorway in an old library, and be standing in Sigil. Getting back...that may take some research, which should be right up his alley.

I also like to add the time factor to planar adventures, so once he gets back it may be 2000 years in the future even though it only took him a month to get back, or maybe hecomes back in the past...and he can then become his own mentor...oh joy!

My motivation for this character would probably be to get into some sort of mess, adventure ensues.

Last edited:

Tal Rasha

Explorer
Amazing Triangle said:

:D

I would love more ideas to look at if anyone has any feel free to add them!

If you're referring to the Lady's blocking individuals that are too powerful from entering Sigil, I don't think that would apply to you in your pre-epic state. There are already people (or, more generally, creatures) there that are more powerful than you. Now, getting back there when you are really high-level should indeed be a challenge. It could be one of the last major roadblocks you have to pass. But this is Planescape: planes move, gods die, mortals ascend. You will need a new, difficult, exciting solution, but it needn't be anything like "I found an artifact that will open the Cage".

An excellent idea that I came across in this very nice story hour that I'm reading (Shemeska's Planescape Story Hour) is to use the infinite staircase as a possible mode of access into Sigil. Look into it :) .

P.S.: Glad you liked it. If you decide to use it, let me know, maybe we can expand the character a bit further.

Amazing Triangle

First Post
The story this thread helped me write

Nuyrim was born into a rather affluent family in the capital city of Suln, the capital of the city of Correl. After being schooled in both military and magic ways, he found that he had a paunch for the divine arts. He lacked one thing that the others had, a true belief in the gods existence. He believed that there was a divine power, but he wanted proof of its existence which none of the clerics could provide.
He stayed with these men of the cloth, because their extent of books on multiple topics kept him interested everyday for weeks and months on end. Very often the clerics would find him passed out from either hunger or thirst in the library.
After almost 50 years of this, Nuyrim, happened upon a spell that he had never seen before. He moved out into a courtyard of the monetary and tried his new spell. He felt like his body was being torn nearly in half, the pain causing his vision to go white. Suddenly he was on a wide street, in a very crowded market place. A women whose beauty was beyond anything he has ever seen, strolled up to him and asked where he was from. Nuyrim, not accustomed to interaction, he stumbled and stammered in front of this beautiful lady. They quickly became friends, and were soon wed. Nuyrim found that the books in his new place, Sigil, were filled with much more information. He spent many days walking with is beloved cataloging all the creatures he encountered, using her knowledge, to write his many books. He loved it in Sigil, the many factions, the way “people” interacted with one another, and, last but not least, his beloved. Though he did find he missed the sky and sun that he had had as a child.
Nuyrim quickly found a faction, Fraternity of Order, this group of “people” believed like he did, that knowledge was power. He learned a lot of their libraries and from their many and varied members.
One day an event came along that changed Nuyrim’s life forever. He was away with one of the members of the Fraternity of Order, when he returned his wife was gone. He searched for weeks; using every connection he gained in the twenty years he inhabited Sigil. After one month he had gathered enough information to find that something or someone had taken and killed his wife. He still was unsure of the reasoning but he had to bring her back.
He spent thirty years searching through texts, he found there was a reference to Correl containing a way to bring back those who were dead, but how to get home. Nuyrim, used his connections to make a deal with a demon for some knowledge that he had acquired. The demon begrudgingly allowed him to pass into the Outer Planes, The Gray Wastes, from here he employed his shifting spell and made his way back to Correl. He appeared out in the middle of an ocean.
After what felt like days, a ship happened upon Nuyrim and brought him aboard. When he reached Durgarvan he was barely alive. After weeks of recovery he learned of the Griffonclaw Sages, who collect knowledge. Nuyrim cared little about his collected works so out of his portable hole he poured volumes out on to the front lawn of the Griffonclaw Tower. This was enough to give him entry into the order and allow him access to their banks of knowledge. He spent many days and nights sleeping only 2 hours each day going through every book that the tower had at their disposal. He had to find a way to raise his beloved.
He began to search ruins and abandoned temples in the area trying to find a glimpse of what it was he needed to bring back his beloved. His earnest turned into an obsession a need. He after a few years of searching found out that there were a group of beings that were changing the world by finding Elder Races and killing off of evil spirits, but it was the rumor that one of their group had been brought back from the dead, not only that restored to her original body. He must find the being responsible for this he must know if he could bring back his beloved.

Quartz

Hero
You might also break open the ELH. There's an organisation in there tailor-made for your character. They seek knowledge.

Amazing Triangle

First Post
Quartz said:
You might also break open the ELH. There's an organisation in there tailor-made for your character. They seek knowledge.

Which one are you talking about? Order of the Book (spellbook)? Or the Gleaners (who collect/hoard items of power)?

Quartz

Hero
Amazing Triangle said:
Which one are you talking about? Order of the Book (spellbook)? Or the Gleaners (who collect/hoard items of power)?

The former. Headed by a nutty (if not insane) demilich in the form of a hand.

Remove ads

AD6_gamerati_skyscraper

Remove ads

Upcoming Releases