• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

D&D 5E Help! My Players Are Leveling Too Quickly

pontinyc

Explorer
Appreciate the input. Just a friendly reminder that we're not using the 5e leveling system. We're using the milestones set down in the AP, which very well may be part of the problem.

ad_hoc

(they/them)
Appreciate the input. Just a friendly reminder that we're not using the 5e leveling system. We're using the milestones set down in the AP, which very well may be part of the problem.

Yeah, the milestones set in the adventure may need to be adjusted as part of the adaptation to 5e.

I am amused by everyone who replied with "don't worry, xp slows down at higher levels", revealing they didn't remotely read the first post.

Many thanks to everyone for all of the extremely helpful input. Some great ideas in here re: how I can slow things down a bit and some validating info telling me that it's also just the nature of the AP. Will be putting all of this input to good use!

The super fast pace of leveling threw me off as well. It's the big flaw of the adventure. So much so I even had to mock it a bit in my webcomic: http://www.5mwd.com/archives/comic/life-experience

That said, "level" is an abstract, that the players are aware of but not the characters. You don't know how many levels Luke Skywalker gained over the course of A New Hope as he doesn't really change, but he does seem more competent by the end.

Remove ads