Help, please re: Evard's

mzsylver

Explorer
Cheiromancer said:

Go Gnomes!

and halflings!!! :D

i agree with Pielorinho, though. i believe they attack anything in range right away and the "Each round that a tentacle is not already grappling someone or something, starting the round after it appears, it makes a grapple attack..." denotes that even if you arent grappled the first round, you arent immune to them cause they just keep grabbing!

wishing her halfling could cast it...
stupid conjuration spell. ill just have to get me a wand and Use Magic Device it! :cool:

hong

WotC's bitch
Pielorinho said:

Okay, great. So what do tentacles do in the first round?

Nothing.

You have one round in which to get out of the minefield. Evard's tentacles is essentially an area denial spell.

Memory

First Post
Pielorino is correct

From the SRD:
Each round that a tentacle is not already grappling someone or something, starting the round after it appears, it makes a grapple attack at a random creature or object within 10 feet of it.

The tentacles begin to grapple the round they appear. Each round thereafter, they make another attempt if they're not already grappling something. This is consistent with the way other conjurations work.

Artoomis

First Post
Re: Pielorino is correct

...starting the round after it appears...

Seems remarkably clear to me.

Round 1. They appear. At that instant they are not already grappling, so we look at what happens. Nothing - because it is not the round AFTER they appear.

Simplicity itself. Citing general rules for other conjurations is not helpful, as this spell has a very specific rule just for this spell.

Last edited:

Pielorinho

Iron Fist of Pelor
Re: Pielorino is correct

Memory said:

The tentacles begin to grapple the round they appear.

Huh? This is just the opposite of what I meant to say. Way I read it, the tentacles wave around on the first round, and grapple on the next round. Here's the relevant paragraph from my (admittedly poorly-written) post:

So it looks like tentacles always wave, beginning immediately. And then, if they've not already grabbed something, starting on the round after they appear, they try to grab something each round thereafter until they've succeeded, they're destroyed, or the spell expires.

Daniel

Memory

First Post
Sorry I misread you. Looking over the spell description again, I think I'll retract my earlier post and go with the consensus. When I first looked at it, the word 'already' implied that the tentacles make grapple attempts in the second round if they had not already grappled in the first round. I think I mentally put an 'if' into the sentence that's not there.

Remove ads