• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

help! the sword needs to die!!!!!!

geflin

First Post
greetings! and welcome to conundrum number two! (by the way THANK YOU so much to everyone that has responded to my first thread!)

okay, here's the meat of the matter: about a month an a half ago, our party defeated several "undead" of varying power. one happened to be a warrior of some kind. i made the mistake of picking up his bastard sword. yeah, yeah, i know, i know. the sword is intellegent, cursed and began working on convincing me to come over to the dark-side. every week i had to make a will roll or shift alignment towards chaotic evil. i also had to kill something once every two days or lose a point of STR(which i got back as soon as i killed something... thank the gods for hobos! ummmm... just kidding!) on the positive side, i could speak and understand elven fluently (not bad for a dwarven warrior/artifacer) and gained the exotic weapon profincency "bastard sword." i also drained a level of whatever i hit on a 15+. nice against dragons.

eventually the ranger of our party and the warforged warrior noticed something was wrong with the dwarf (the tiefling thief and half-drow monk [who sold his soul to cyric] thought i was finally starting to make some sense!). at this point i was neutral evil and slightly blood thirsty. the WF and R got some scrolls, a helm of opposite alignment and some sleeping potions and managed to uncurse me, restore my alignment and seperate me from the sword. unfortunatly the sword tried to grab the WF. i managed to stick it in a box and shove it into a bag of holding. it no longer speaks to anyone. the problem is this: i want to destroy the sword, but am afraid it may do something to the people around me.

1. i don't want to rupture the bag of holding. the DMG says that the items are lost forever. with our DM it may be lost to us, but some poor defenseless demon could find it somewhere in the astral plane. i definatly don't want it coming back to drain levels off of me in the future.

2. if i use my artifacer power to tear it apart, but that means i need to spend an entire day with it. which means that it might have an opportunity to grab me again.

so here's what i want to know:

1. how can i improve my will for a full 24 hours?

2. is there any magic or psionic device that can keep the damn thing out of my head for 24 hours?

3. does lead work to keep the thing from reaching out to others? i.e. i do my thing in a lead lined room (approx 24 inches of lead all around)?

any help would be greatly appreciated!

Last edited by a moderator:

pbd

First Post
Alright, so here is what you do. First, find a hobbit. Give him the sword and tell him to carry it to Mount Doom and throw it in. It's gonna take a while and everything is going to go to hell in a handbasket in the meantime, but eventually, when all hope seems lost, he's gonna get there and toss in the sword; losing a finger in the process, but destroying it and defeating the bad guys in the nick of time. :)

Actually, I have no idea if this will work in your situation, but this just seems like the thing to do with malevolent, evil artifacts...

Oh, and a chance to make an LOTR reference can't passed up. I'm usually very serious when posting.

moritheil

First Post
geflin said:
The problem is this: i want to destroy the sword, but am afraid it may do something to the people around me.

1. i don't want to rupture the bag of holding. the DMG says that the items are lost forever. with our DM it may be lost to us, but some poor defenseless demon could find it somewhere in the astral plane. i definatly don't want it coming back to drain levels off of me in the future.

2. if i use my artifacer power to tear it apart, but that means i need to spend an entire day with it. which means that it might have an opportunity to grab me again.

so here's what i want to know:

1. how can i improve my will for a full 24 hours?

2. is there any magic or psionic device that can keep the damn thing out of my head for 24 hours?

3. does lead work to keep the thing from reaching out to others? i.e. i do my thing in a lead lined room (approx 24 inches of lead all around)?

any help would be greatly appreciated!

0. Don't worry about "poor defenseless demons." Go back and read that phrase again.

1. I want to say that there should be some sort of potion that does this.

2. Anything that gives you Mind Blank will help. If it's an artifact, even anti-magic fields probably won't bother it.

3. Lead usually works vs. scrying, but I'm not sure about vs. telepathy. Also, this thing is a possible artifact and doesn't have to play by the rules if it is one.

Hypersmurf

Moderatarrrrh...
geflin said:

The Protection from Evil spell:

Second, the barrier blocks any attempt to possess the warded creature (by a magic jar attack, for example) or to exercise mental control over the creature (including enchantment (charm) effects and enchantment (compulsion) effects that grant the caster ongoing control over the subject, such as dominate person).

It should do what you want. However, the duration is only a minute per level.

Magic Circle against Evil has a better duration: 10 minutes per level. You still need to receive a dozen of them or more... so the device you're after is a Wand of Magic Circle against Evil. And a handy wizard or cleric or sorcerer or paladin to keep refreshing the spell just before it runs out.

-Hyp.

Shin Okada

Explorer
As it seems to be a plot device made by your DM, no one (except for your DM) knows if that thing is breakable, or how it truly work. But I will try to think of some tricks.

What kind of substance is it made of? Unless the sword is a major artifact, you can break it by dealing a lot of damages. You can either break it physically (with an adamantine weapon, or if available, the Maul of Titans), or may use Rod of Cancellation or something.

The problem is, someone must bring the sword out of the holding bag. For this, how about using some summoned monster? Choose some weaker monster with hands (celestial monkey?). Even if the sword controls the monster, you can easily kill it. Or, the monster will soon disappear. Then you can smack the sword on the ground.

If that thing is some unbreakable major artifact or otherwise stronger item, I don't know if it will work. Maybe you can use some divination spells to find the way to deal with it.

cignus_pfaccari

First Post
Well, odds are that it is a magic item. A simple Detect Magic will reveal that (as artifacts typically don't radiate magic).

And the goal isn't just "destroy the icky magic sword." It's "Destroy the icky magic sword in a constructive manner."

Use the Magic Circles vs. Evil. Open up the Bag, grap the weapon box and shake it out; that way, you don't have to touch it...though I imagine the artificer has to touch it anyway to get the XP out. Strip it for parts, and tell it you'll swallow its soul *just* before it stops working.

Oh, and it'd be a good idea to retain a paladin to stand behind you as you do this and bonk you over the head if your alignment changes. :)

Brad

jmichels

First Post
I would probably try to Contact Other Planes/Divination/Library Research to find out how to destroy the item. Then go on the quest in order to do so. Your DM may be pointing you folks in that direction.

If you come up empty there. Go ahead and destroy the bag. At least the item is lost somewhere in the planes and your PC's are more or less free from it. If it causes trouble for some other folks down the line then you did what you could.

Jack Simth

First Post
Let's see... a 10th level sorceror with Magic Circle Against Evil, using just the base slots, has 14 spell slots capable of accomidating a Magic Circle Against Evil. At Caster Level 10th, each lasts 100 minutes. 1400 minutes is 23 hours, 20 minutes, leaving a 40-minute window. If the Sorceror also has Protection From Evil (10 minutes/level at 10th), then it has an additional 12 slots for 10 minutes each - a 10th sorceror blowing his entire non-bonus allotment of spells can cover the artificer for 25 hours, 20 minutes.

A caster with Persistant Spell can do the full 24-hours with one casting.... although it takes a 7th level slot (Cleric 13, minimum) without feats to reduce that.

Hypersmurf

Moderatarrrrh...
Jack Simth said:
Let's see... a 10th level sorceror with Magic Circle Against Evil, using just the base slots, has 14 spell slots capable of accomidating a Magic Circle Against Evil. At Caster Level 10th, each lasts 100 minutes.

I nearly suggested that - I did the same calculation ;) But I figured finding the wand for sale was more likely than finding a sorcerer with MCaE! :)

A caster with Persistant Spell can do the full 24-hours with one casting....

No, he can't. Magic Circle against Evil has a range of Touch.

-Hyp.

Remove ads