D&D General Help w/ Party Loot Tracking

Shiroiken

Legend
We play on Roll20, so this might not be anywhere near as convenient IRL. For each campaign, we create a google drive that each player can at least partially access. Part of this drive is a group loot document, where treasure found and xp gained for each session is tracked. One DM just gives out the value of everything (because it's simple) while I often give a location note so when they sell it I know its value. At one point we used the document for which character kept which item, but that quickly became a long document that took forever to load.

ccs

41st lv DM
As part of my prep I create a master log of all the treasure in the adventure - published or brewed - I'm running.
It looks like this:
(treasure/item) -- (source) -- Page # if applicable -- (status/who has it) -- (notes)

I don't make this to aid the players. And I don't tell them it exists. Because I'm not their secretary. I make it to aid me in crafting future adventures.

aco175

Legend
Wow, I can see where others go through a lot more than I when making adventures and tracking things. I make the adventures and let the players determine how to divide things. In 5e, I tend to tell them what they found without going through the detect magic and identify trying to get clues on most everything. Weapons tend to have some cool powers in my games, so I give the players a sheet with the item description.

One of the players tracks the other loot and minor items and they tend to divide it when they reach town. Sometimes the group saves some of the cash to pool the money in case someone need to be resurrected. Sometimes they would save some cash for the mage to make scrolls or potions and such, but that was more in prior editions.

Zio_the_dark

The dark one :)
I was first using cards and tokens made with a custom magic set editor template to keep track of all of this but it was time consuming (needed to make, then print cards on 300g paper to make it a bit durable then putting all of this in mtg protecting sleeves...), now I mostly use my custom excel sheet to track adventure and loot notes, even if geared toward specific system it can be used for almost everything if you don't use the stat keeping/battle part of it...

Cards++: players can see what they have and organize their loot (a bit like power cards)
Cards--: time consuming
Excel++: well if you know how to use excel it can do almost anything for you...
Excel--: need a computer at the table (may be used for online sessions too on the GM side!)

When I run games I use Fantasy Grounds, it tracks everything for me and the players using the Party Inventory, even lets items be identified or unidentified.

When I play not using FG, one of the players tracks the party loot. Right now that's me. I try to keep a note of who/where the item was found. It seems fairly frequent that it might be a long time before we identify something and the DM might not remember where it comes from.

I really like the unique ID number suggested earlier. I would also suggest using OneNote, it allows multiple people access with update/changes tracking etc. It's really nice when you go in it highlights the changes since you were last in the file and it tells you who made the change.

Remove ads