• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Help w/ the world of MIDNIGHT

You might want to have a careful look at the rules material in Midnight btw. I believe the rules were written more with a view to providing extra flavour than balance, and that tends to show. If you're interested in more rules discussion, there was a recent thread in General here* in which we talked about balance issues a bit. It had Midnight in the title... I can't search, else I'd link you.

EDIT: *Posted by ruleslawyer. Sheesh, how could I forget to write that! /Edit.

Could you post that link again, because ... I can't find it.

Edit: Googled it. Here's one thread: http://www.enworld.org/forums/showthread.php?t=96430

Last edited:

Calico_Jack73

First Post
Sado said:
How do you outlaw weapons? I can understand how you can keep swords, great axes, etc, away from people. But what about normal tools that can also function easily as weapons? Like smaller axes for chopping wood, spears and bows for hunting, knives for evryday use, etc. Is it assumed that these are outlawed too? Or is irt divided along simple/martial lines? How does it work? What "weapons" are people allowed to possess?

The important thing to remember is that the "Law" is in the eye of the beholder. If the local Legate and his Orks want they can say that bows are illegal and only allow slings for hunting. The thing to remember is that Izrador's forces do not care at all if the local populace survives... it isn't their problem. They may behead someone in town center for using a knife to cut up a chicken... not so much because he was using a knife but because they felt like killing someone and used the knife to justify it. You can't protest the law... if you do the Legate will probably kill you and allow his orks to roast you on a spit in town center to make an example for other trouble makers.

Thornir Alekeg

Albatross!
Shadowfane said:
I guess it's going to be around the second week in Sept. It's printed, but needs to be shipped to the distributors, etc. So, next couple of weeks. Start harranging your FLG!

Cheers,

Shadowfane

Nooo! I have preordered it from my FLGS, but I was really hoping it would make it to the store this week (released at GenCon, shipped to general public the following week). I really wanted Fury of Shadow in hand and have some time to look at it before my first session running Midnight on the 18th. If you are correct I might really be pushing it...I think I feel a sick day coming on the day after I get the set...

Theron

Explorer
chinger_spy said:
I have always thought that tools such as hammers, sycles, etc... would be hard to outlaw. While strictly tools these and more make effective weapons. Lets face it most of the military weapons wielded by medieval soldiers were straight from the farm.
Er...no, not really. Some infantry weapons were certainly based on agricultural implements, but apart from some basic similarities in conformation, they were quite different critters in terms of construction and materials. Some of this notion derives from the Victorian myth that medieval soldiers were serfs called up from the fields, a notion that's been repeatedly disproven by later research.

Which is not to say you couldn't do some damage with a farmer's bill hook or a woodcutter's axe, just that they wouldn't hold up well under prolonged use against armoured things that fight back.

Anything can be a weapon. However, something designed to be a weapon is going to be better at it in the long term.

Remove ads