• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Help with 2 Handed Khopesh

For various reasons I need stats for a two-handed Khopesh.

Now the original weapon is:

Military One Handed Melee Weapon
Cost: 20 gp
Damage: 1d8
Proficient +2
Range: -
Weight: 8lb

This sturdy weapon is identified by the crescent shaped curve at the end of the blade.

Properties:

Versatile
Brutal 1

Group(s):
Axe
Heavy Blade

So to make it two handed would I just up the damage to 1d10?

The other option would be to just take a Falchion (2d4 dam, +3 prof, high crit, heavy blade), drop the proficiency bonus to +2, swap the high crit for brutal 1, and add Axe to the group properties.

I'm worried that both options are underpowered, but I'm hesitant to up the damage on the first one or just go ahead and make it superior weapon with better damage dice (say 2d6) on the second one.

Fede

First Post
If it's a military weapon, i'd say:

two handed kopesh (military)
prof +2 damage 1d12 brutal 1 axe, heavy blade

if superior:
prof +2 damage 2d6 brutal 1 axe, heavy blade

the superior version is mechanically identical to the mordenkrad, but it's an axe\heavy blade, so i'm not 100% sure if it's balanced

Last edited:

If it's a military weapon, i'd say:

prof +2 damage 1d12 brutal 1 axe, heavy blade

if superior:
prof +2 damage 2d6 brutal 1 axe, heavy blade

the superior version is mechanically identical to the mordenkrad, but it's an axeheavy blade, so i'm not 100% sure if it's balanced

See, that's the thing.

I have no idea what the balance value of axe/heavy blade is either.

The military one looks great regardless, though, thanks!

Jubelo

First Post
In the AQ conversion thread I proposed: military +2 1d10 brutal 2 axe/heavy blade.

I'm not sure about the balance either.. maybe dropping it to brutal 1?

Jon

cmbarona

First Post
If we're to keep it military, I'd recommend comparing it to similar one-handed axes and heavy blades.

(I'm purposefully leaving out the scimitar because its high crit is less similar than the versatile property all of the below share in common, and the broadsword because it's really a battleaxe/flail/warhammer dressed in heavy blade.)

Khopesh: +2/d8/Brutal 1, Versatile
Longsword: +3/d8/Versatile
Battleaxe: +2/d10/Versatile

Now, having compared these, we see that a khopesh takes the worse of the proficiency and damage and gains Brutal 1.

Comparing two-handed military weapons (yes, realizing the gripes about greatswords):

(Here, I'm leaving out falchions because they seem more comparable to scimitars, and reach weapons because they're a whole different category)

Greatsword: +3/d10
Greataxe: +2/d12/High crit

The two-handed khopesh should again take the lower of the two: +2/d10, as Jubelo suggested. What properties to give it, though? Keeping at least 1 point in Brutal would be a good idea. Since similar non-reach, +2 weapons have an average of 6 damage (not counting high-crit), and Brutal raises average damage by .5 per point in Brutal, I'd suggest moving the Brutal property up to 2. That should keep things balanced.

Thoughts?

Jubelo

First Post
I think that was my train of thought, cmbarona. It's been a while though.

If any of you are interested in Al Qadim, there's a conversion thread here as well. Besides the great khopesh, I also listed the ankus, cutlass and a couple other weapons from that setting. I'd be glad to have some feedback on them and I'm sure Quickleaf would like to have more feedback on the class builds he's been working on.

Jon

Remove ads