• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

D&D 5E Help with a Barbarian Multiclass build with Fighter

BookBarbarian

Expert Long Rester
Well yeah.

Besides, as a level 5/11 barb/fighter you'll still have the 5th level extra attacks from each class, you're just only able to use one of them each round.
I hadn't thought of it that way before.
It's really hard to get the fighter 11th level extra attack without also having the fighter 5th level extra attack. :)
I was working under the impression that if you had extra attack form another class like say Barbarian 5 you wouldn't get it from fighter 5.

I've been persuaded to move to Satyrn's line of thinking.

Last edited:

pdegan2814

First Post
Extra attacks do not stack between classes. So it is either 1 from Barbarian or the ones from Fighter?

Correct. A lot of people think "Extra Attack" means just that, you get an additional attack per round. But it's worded very specifically, it says "When you take the Attack action, you can attack twice instead of once", and it's worded like that for each class that gets it. Then the Fighter version adds the text saying you can attack 3 times at 11th level, and 4 times at 20th level. So getting the base Extra Attack from two classes is like getting martial weapons proficiency from two classes. It doesn't make you super-proficient, it's redundant.

Beyond Level 4-ish in each class, which one do you plan on emphasizing, Fighter or Barbarian?

JasonCarrier

First Post
Fighter. Just worried with the delay in the extra attack coming at 9th instead of 5th. But in the long view I would get 2 extra attacks (for a total of 3) and more ASI's.

I figure it this way at 5th (if I do fighter right away), my AC goes to 20 (with defense fighting style), my HP jumps 16 (Fighter 10 + Con 5 + Hill Giant Racial 1) to a total of 73 and I get Second Wind.

I envision him being a true tank.

CTurbo

Explorer
You have to actually wear armor to get the Defensive fighting style's +1 to AC so it won't help you.

I would stay on the Barb path if it were me. I would want my Str at 20 asap. THEN I might consider taking some Fighter levels if you're still interested.

FrogReaver

As long as i get to be the frog
Fighter. Just worried with the delay in the extra attack coming at 9th instead of 5th. But in the long view I would get 2 extra attacks (for a total of 3) and more ASI's.

I figure it this way at 5th (if I do fighter right away), my AC goes to 20 (with defense fighting style), my HP jumps 16 (Fighter 10 + Con 5 + Hill Giant Racial 1) to a total of 73 and I get Second Wind.

Get to extra attack asap. It doesn't matter which class you start with.

If you haven't considered starting fighter first and then barbarian and you want to feel tanky consider the parry maneuver. With 14 dex it gives you very respectable damage reduction that will tide you over until you get barbarian rage.

Leatherhead

Possibly a Idiot.
Honestly, for mid level play, I would recommend just sticking with Barbarian. And possibly using a feat to get maneuvers if you are really interested in them. All the really good barbarian features come online in t2 or t3 of play. If you really feel the need for action surge after that, then sure.

TwoSix

Dirty, realism-hating munchkin powergamer

Actually, your hit points only go up by 12, assuming you're not rolling. You only get the 10 HPs (or maximum hit points for any class) at character 1st level, not the first level you take of the class.

Satyrn

First Post
Actually, your hit points only go up by 12, assuming you're not rolling. You only get the 10 HPs (or maximum hit points for any class) at character 1st level, not the first level you take of the class.

I was getting set to say the same thing.

Remove ads