• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

D&D 5E Help with a Barbarian Multiclass build with Fighter

Jason Carrier

First Post
I have a Darksun campaign that I am playing in, and my PC is a 4th Level Half-Giant Barbarian with the following load-out:
STR: 16 Dex: 14 Con: 20 Int: -8 Wis: 13 Cha: -8
AC: 19 (Shield + Dex + Con) HP: 57
Path of the Bear Totem
Should I at 5th Level skip the Extra Attack/Fast Movement and go into Fighter from 5th to 20th (if we go that far)? Or go Barbarian 5th, then Fighter 6 through 20? (losing out on the extra attacks)?
I plan on going Battle Master (if that helps) at Fighter/3

BookBarbarian

Expert Long Rester
As far as i can tell you would still get the same amount of total attacks whether you are Barb 4/Fighter 16 or Barb 5/Fighter 15. 3 to be specific.

The difference is in the first case you wont get a second attack until total Level 9 and ultimately one more ASI at fighter 16, in the second you get the second attack at level 5 and one less ASI overall.

TwoSix

Dirty, realism-hating munchkin powergamer
I have a Darksun campaign that I am playing in, and my PC is a 4th Level Half-Giant Barbarian with the following load-out:
Path of the Bear Totem
Should I at 5th Level skip the Extra Attack/Fast Movement and go into Fighter from 5th to 20th (if we go that far)? Or go Barbarian 5th, then Fighter 6 through 20? (losing out on the extra attacks)?
1) Never build for 20, you'll almost certainly not get that far. Levels 10-12 should be the max you plan ahead for.
2) Never skip Extra Attack. You're already at 4, nothing you can dip is better than Extra Attack. So go Barbarian 5.
3) What's your plan for going Fighter? Primarily Battlemaster Maneuvers?

JasonCarrier

First Post
1) Never build for 20, you'll almost certainly not get that far. Levels 10-12 should be the max you plan ahead for.
2) Never skip Extra Attack. You're already at 4, nothing you can dip is better than Extra Attack. So go Barbarian 5.
3) What's your plan for going Fighter? Primarily Battlemaster Maneuvers?

I like Trip and Precision Strike.
The third one, I am not sure...

JasonCarrier

First Post
Path of the Bear Totem

Extra attacks do not stack between classes. So it is either 1 from Barbarian or the ones from Fighter?

TwoSix

Dirty, realism-hating munchkin powergamer
Extra attacks do not stack between classes. So it is either 1 from Barbarian or the ones from Fighter?
Correct. You get a 2nd attack from 5 levels of Barbarian OR 5 levels of Fighter. You don't gain a 3rd attack unless you take 11 levels of Fighter.

Jason Carrier

First Post
Correct. You get a 2nd attack from 5 levels of Barbarian OR 5 levels of Fighter. You don't gain a 3rd attack unless you take 11 levels of Fighter.

So unless we go into the really late levels the only reason to jump fighter now would be an extra ASI?

Interesting.

If it makes a difference here is the Party:

Halfling Fighter (Archer/Battle Master)
Half-Elf Druid (Moon)
Thri-Keen Psionic Warrior (think Monk)

BookBarbarian

Expert Long Rester

The 5th level extra attack you get form one class. The fighter's 11th level attack you can get regardless of whatever class you got the 5th level one from. At least that's how I've always been ruling it.

Satyrn

First Post
The 5th level extra attack you get form one class. The fighter's 11th level attack you can get regardless of whatever class you got the 5th level one from. At least that's how I've always been ruling it.

Well yeah.

Besides, as a level 5/11 barb/fighter you'll still have the 5th level extra attacks from each class, you're just only able to use one of them each round.

Caliban

Rules Monkey

It's really hard to get the fighter 11th level extra attack without also having the fighter 5th level extra attack. :)

Remove ads