• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Help with a monster: Slaughterget

Drakstern

First Post
THis is a new critter I'm working up for use in my campaign...

------

Slaughterget
Medium Undead
Hit points: 5d12(30 hp)
Initiative: +7 (+3 Dex, +4 Improved Initiative)
Speed: 30 ft.
AC: 19 (+4 Scale Mail, +3 Dex, +2 Natural)
Attacks: Greatsword +7 melee, Heavy Crossbow +5 ranged
Damage: Greatsword 2d6+6, Heavy Crossbow 1d10
Face/Reach: 5 ft by 5 ft/5 ft.
Special Attacks: Fan the Flames, Perfect Disguise, Strength from Death.
Special Qualities: Damage Reduction 5/+2, Fast Healing 1, SR 15
Saves: Fort +1, Ref +7, Will +4
Feats: Improved Initiative, Power Attack, Cleave
Abilities: Str 21, Dex 17, Con -, Int 14, Wis 10, Cha 12
Advancement: per character level.

A Slaughterget is a creature created from the conflux of great magics, suffering, and death, most often battlefields. In their natural form, they look like beaten, injured young people, with old battered equipment and a simmering rage in their eyes. However, they typically take the form of one of their victims, using their Perfect Disguise ability to imitate them.
Slaughterget exist to sow death and destruction, killing those they can, and convincing others to kill as necessary. If they can, they often try to get squadron command level positions in armies, giving them more people to influence and use to meet their ends.

Combat:
Slaughterget fight intelligently, if agressively. The rage burning in their soul can get the better of them and compel them to charge into battle swinging.
If fighting with a squad of soldiers, they'll often send at least one or two of the soldiers into rage with their 'fan the flames' ability, using them to neutralize or weaken more dangerous enemies.
When they fight a foe that they feel truely threatens them, they rage and charge in heedlessly.

Soul of Rage(Ex): A Slaughterget can rage as a barbarian with a level equivalent to their HD once per day, minus any constitution bonus. They suffer no fatigue after the rage ends.

Fan the Flames(Su): Four/per day, a slaughterget can send his rage into anyone within 60 feet who is not actively opposing them. If the victim fails his will save(DC 15), he goes into a rage as per the Barbarian's rage, except that the penalties after coming out of the rage are doubled and remain for an hour after the rage, unless the character passes a Fort save(DC 17).

Perfect Disguise(Su): The Slaughterget can take the form of any one person they have killed. They can only have one alternate form at any given time, but this disguise is nearly flawless. The rage in their eyes continues to show through, though. A person who knows what he is looking for may be able to see through the disguise with a successful spot check(DC 20)

Strength from Death(Su): Slaughterget gain strength from every person they personally kill. For every person they kill, they gain 1d4-1 temporary strength. This strength lasts for 1 day.

Undead: Immune to mind-influencing effects, poison, sleep, paralysis, stunning, and disease. Not subject to critical hits, subdual damage, ability damage, energy drain, or death from massive damage.

------------------------------------

Comments are appreciated, particularly help with the CR.

Last edited:

Dark Jezter

First Post
Cool critter, Drakstern. Sounds like something I'll do well to avoid when the time comes. ;)

Anyways, you may want to change the brief description of the Fan the Flames feat, as there is no cooling down period between barbarian rages. The character can only enter a rage once per combat, and when it wears off, that character is fatigued for the ramainder of the encounter.

You might also want to replace "successful skill check" with "successful spot check" in the description of the perfect disguise skill.

Anyways, cool creature! Very original.

Albert_Fish

First Post
When the flames of rage are fanned what exactly happens to the victim? i understand the penalties. What is the range? If it is close then its useless as the rage can then be turned on the Slaughterget.

i would get rid of the penalties as they are and just make it a "mad" rage where in the player might attack the nearest creature (without weapons or spells).

trentonjoe

Explorer
Couple of things:

1. Good job, this thing is neat!

2. Its AC should be 19, it should get +3 dex for its 17dex.

3. TrentonJoe's CR calculator puts it at a 4. Maybe a 5 in some situations (like no wizard!).

4. I would include the Undead immunities under special qualities.

5. This might be a cool template that could be added onto fallen warriors as well. Just a thought.

Good luck!

Drakstern

First Post
Albert: The rage that helps animate the Slaughterget is sent into the recipient, causing him to go into a rage himself.

Also, the penalties are there to reflect that the people going into this rage aren't used to it, and it's unnatural for them. As for it being used on PCs, that's not too likely. If you're fighting against a slaughterget, that doesn't work on you. And active opposition includes opposing anything the Slaughterget stands for or anyone they stand with.

Trentonjoe: Thanks. Nice catch on the Dex and undead qualities.(Can't believe I missed that. -_-;; )

As for edit, fixed all the pointed out things, and tweaked a bit.

Remove ads