Help with an NPC assassin?

Stoat

Adventurer
I'm statting up an NPC assassin for my current game. It'll be a level 10 elite skirmisher. I'm looking for some sort of minor or interrupt power I can give it for a little extra combat oomf. Preferably, I'm looking for something with either shadowy or devilish flavor (the assassin has ties to the Hells).

I've scanned the list of PC assassin powers and don't see anything I like.

Any ideas?

Quickleaf

Legend
I'm statting up an NPC assassin for my current game. It'll be a level 10 elite skirmisher. I'm looking for some sort of minor or interrupt power I can give it for a little extra combat oomf. Preferably, I'm looking for something with either shadowy or devilish flavor (the assassin has ties to the Hells).

I've scanned the list of PC assassin powers and don't see anything I like.

Any ideas?
I like the Tiefling Shadowblade's (DUNGEON 155) "Cloak of Shadows" which is an interrupt blind (save ends) that triggers when a PC makes an opportunity attack against the monster.

One that I've used for a shadow-themed evil swordmage was "Drawing Shadow Flame". Basically it was an at-will minor power that made a PC light source glow with wicked purple light and pull non-shadow creatures toward it on a successful Fortitude attack, eventually dealing big damage to all in a close burst if several rounds passed without it being destroyed/snuffed out.

EDIT: I just found the write-up for "Dame Aleera", the evil swordmage from my old 4e campaign, lurking on my hard drive. She had another minor action power called "beshadowed mind" which limited the target's line of sight to 2 squares (save ends). It was ranged 10, targeted Will, and also dealt some necrotic/psychic damage. Could be a good fit.

Last edited:

Larrin

Entropic Good
Reaction powers:
Hellish Riposte: Trigger: hit by a melee attack. effect: attacker takes X fire damage and assassin teleports 3 squares adjacent to creature. That creature also takes X fire damage. (perhaps you may want an attack)

faded but furirous: trigger: hit by an attack. effect: gain concealment until end of next turn. while concealed you have combat advantage vs triggering attacker.

Devilish theft: trigger:You are missed by an attack. Effect: attacker rolls damage as if he had hit. Your next basic attack you make may deal that much damage instead (if used before the end of your next turn)

minor powers:
Sadistic twist. Minor, target: a creature you hit with an attack this turn. attack vs fort: X ongoing dmg, save ends.

Stolen vitality: minor target: creature with temp hit points. effect: target takes X fire/necrotic damage, assassin gains x temp hit points (maybe require an attack vs will or fort)

Hellish Flicker: minor, you teleport 1 square. one creature adjacent before or after the teleport takes x fire damage.

JohnH

First Post
Shadow Slip immediate interrupt

When hit by an attack make an attack against opponents reflex if successful either negate damage or take half damage.

you can flavor it that as the attack comes in at the assassin he pops a fiery shroud that negates the attack.

Saagael

First Post
I have a similar NPC in my game, though I based him off a Hexblade. I gave him this ability:

Superior Reflexes
Whenever this creature is pushed, pulled or slid into a square adjacent to an enemy, he can make an opportunity attack against that enemy.

So now all that pushing and sliding the wizard likes to do? Yeah, not going to go so well now. Especially when he can teleport at-will.

Unwise

Adventurer
The thing is, what do you want to achieve with the assassin? Is he there to kill a single person? Is it just a straight up fight or is it a real attempt at killing off one person?

In the past I have used the following to make assassination terrifying for the PCs.
- If there is an expendable NPC, it is simply found dead later on.
- The party is drugged. Everybody starts the encounter Unconcious (save ends) The only reason they get the save-ends rather than just all being killed in their sleep is that a cat familiar is screeching out trying to wake them.
- The combat starts as somebody stirs from their sleep due to the cat and is immediately auto-crit by the assassin.
- The assassin's dagger has a silence spell on it. Once hit, no sound will travel past 2ft away from you.
- The assassin always grabs and silences (garrotte). So the person can't call for help or reach their friends.
- The assassin can pull a bloodied person into the hells to try to finish them off 1v1. The person is taken out of play (save-ends) and has to fight the assassin solo.
- When fighting in groups, the assassins use a special ability that makes both them and the person they are grabbing invisible (but not too each other). As an extra annoyance, this ability destroys line of effect to the victim. The victim can also not see anybody except for the assassin.

The feeling of dying alone, unable to get help while in a camp surrounded by friends is pretty powerful. This really makes them fear the assassin. Personally I think that just using assassins as lurkers is pretty weak if you want the PCs to fear them.

Oh, one more thing, the wonderous item I think it is called the Ebon Skull. It puts out all light sources in a 10 square area at will I think. So see how the PCs like fighting in pitch black unable to keep a torch lit.

Last edited:

Remove ads