• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Help with Arabic

Barcode

First Post
Heya,

I am working on some names for an adventure I am writing, and I need some help with the Arabic translations. I tried the illustrious masters of the Web, but sadly the online English-Arabic dictionaries all seem to give the translations in Arabic script, and since I don't speak Arabic, I also don't read it (so thanks for nothing, Brainiacs!). I really just want English/Phonetic spellings.

So if there are any Arabic speakers out there, or if anyone has access to an English-Arabic dictionary, could you give me the Arabic words for the following?

Fire
Wind
Earth
Water
Whisper
Shadow
Hell
Heaven
Spider
Scorpion
Lion
Darkness
Light

Much appreciated. I would also gladly take a link to a useful online dictionary, with which I could find the translations myself.

Thanks in advance...

-B-

Barcode

First Post
Thanks for the link. Unfortunately, I caught this one already - phonetic spellings, but woefully incomplete. None of the words I need is included therein...

I thought of naming the BBEG "Where is the bathroom?" and the party's NPC ally "Good evening, father", but it just didn't feel right.:p

Pielorinho

Iron Fist of Pelor
If you want to take a different approach, you could go to Websites of Arabic Names and look for ones with appropriate meanings.

Barcode said:
Fire
Wind -- Shamal - Wind that comes from the north
Earth -- Wajid - Smooth land
Water --Nawfal - Generous; old Arabic name for the sea
Whisper -- Hudun - To become quiet
Shadow -- Afya - Shadows
Hell
Heaven -- Ridwan - Acceptance, satisfaction; name of the keeper of the gates of Heaven
Spider
Scorpion
Lion -- Sab - Lion
Darkness -- Adham - Black or dark
Light -- Anwar - Radiant, full of light

Some of these might work.
Daniel

Pielorinho

Iron Fist of Pelor
This page might also be useful -- it contains words from the Quran.

Barcode said:
Fire
Wind: (Ad) Dabur : Westerly wind. or As-Sabâ : Easterly wind. or Hadath (Small) : Passing wind or urine or answering the call of nature.
Earth
Water: Nabîdh : Water in which dates or grapes etc. are soaked and is not yet fermented.
Whisper
Shadow
Hell: As-Sirât : Sirât: originally means 'a road'; it also means the bridge that will be laid across Hell-Fire for the people to pass over on the Day of Judgement. It is described as sharper than a sword and thinner than a hair. It will have hooks over it to snatch the people. (not exact, but pretty dang cool, if you ask me)
Heaven: Al-Bait-ul-Ma'mur : Allah's House over the seventh heaven.
Spider
Scorpion
Lion
Darkness
Light

Daniel

Pielorinho

Iron Fist of Pelor

Pielorinho

Iron Fist of Pelor
I run a game in a pseudo-Byzantine world, with various other cultures, so I'm used to looking up such things for myself. Generally, I'm pretty flexible: I'll do some web research, find a word with a cool, vaguely-relevant meaning, and yoink it. Turkish is easier, with http://www.hazar.com/ a great resource.

Otherwise, I tend to print out a list of a few hundred names from the language in question, and refer to it when I need something on the spot. It works well for me.

Daniel

Maerdwyn

First Post
Fire: Naar
Wind: Reeyah
Earth: Arad
Water: Mah
Whisper: Hamas (a different H from that in Hamas, the Paletinian group)
Shadow: Dhall
Hell: Al-Jaheem
Heaven: Al-Sama' (pretty approximate - the first letter is an 'ayn)
Spider: Ankaboot (again with the 'ayn)
Scorpion: 'Aqrab (ditto)
Lion: Asad
Darkness: Dhulamaat (same root at shadow, above)
Light: Nur

There are alternates for pretty much all of these, depending on context (litereral vs. figurative darkness, for example.)

For online translators, I like http://www.almisbar.com/salam_trans.html
But it won't transliterate for you, so you need to know the alphabet.

Remove ads