Help with AU equipment

Status
Not open for further replies.

Staffan

Legend
I'm trying to piece together a playable game from the Arcana Unearthed PDFs, the 3.5 SRD, the AU DM screen and some info I've gotten from people who have the actual AU book. I managed to get some equipment info from a guy at WOTC's chat (mostly weapon/armor costs), but as I was compiling the info into a Word document I noticed some things I missed. I'd really appreciate if anyone could help me with these things:
  • Rules for shields. The DM screen indicates that they apparently use a system like 3.0's weapons, where you compare the shield size to the wielder's size and determine benefits from that. The DM screen also mentions Devanian shields, and I think I saw mention of an Articulated shield somewhere (but I may have confused that with Articulated armor).
  • Weights for armor and the new weapons.
  • Any special rules for the armors (especially if there are any special rules for Devanian and/or Articulated armors) and weapons (battleclaw, mangler, spikestick, kopesh, swordaxe, furnoch).
  • This one's more of an Arms & Equipment Guide question. When you increase a Medium weapon to Huge size, what would the damages be if the base damage was: 1d12, 2d6, or 2d8. Applying the one-size increases from the MM gives somewhat non-sensical results (1d12 -> 3d6 -> 3d8+1d8? )
Hoping for answers,

Mistwell

Crusty Old Meatwad (he/him)
DM Magic, I very rarely says this, but I'm gonna say it now. I am pretty sure you just violated Monte's copyright rights in a bad way. Those were the protected sections, and the ones not released in the PDFs for a reason. The names of those special materials were also his two key trademarks for things inside the book.

ES2

First Post
Say OOPS, edit the post, delete the stuff not allowed to print, and hope that Monte doesn't spank you for being such a naughty person.

Eridanis

Bard 7/Mod (ret) 10/Mgr 3
If there were a link here to download the PDF for free, then I would remove it; but I think the quotes DM Magic gave in the first post are OK for this purpose. Please remove the specific stats in the second post, though, DM M, if they're not in the book or pdf (niether is at my disposal to check right now, unfortunately).

Last edited:

DM Magic said:
OOPS, edited, deleted, and I'm naughty.

;)

Do you have permission from Monte to quote this material? If not, may I suggest that you take it down? The Designation of Open Game Content from the beginning of the book reads in part "In Chapters Six, Seven, and Eight, all the material that also appears in the System Reference Document is open, and all other material is not." [Emphasis mine.]

The Devanian and other armors and equipment do not appear in the SRD.

(You also have not quoted the complete OGL with an updated section 15, so that's another issue. But I don't believe that you can for these.)

Staffan

Legend
drnuncheon said:
Presumably the 2d6 and 2d8 are just twice the 1d6 and 1d8 raises:
2d8 and 4d6, IIRC.
Not to belittle your help, but I wanted to know what the second increase would be. The first ones are 3d6 for both 1d12 and 2d6, and 2d8 turns into 3d8. But there's nothing that says what 3d6 or 3d8 should turn into when enlarged yet another size, and if you split them up into 2d6+1d6 and 2d8+1d8 you get weirdness like 3d6+1d8 and 3d8+2d6.

DM Magic said:
Originally Posted by Varianor Abroad
The Devanian and other armors and equipment do not appear in the SRD.

I don't see any Devanian or other armors listed anywhere in my posts....
Feh.

FYI, I did read all of your posts. Your response is disingenous because the clause "and equipment" clearly refers to the weapons.

Let's look at one of your entries, shall we?

KRUNCH: This sword's blade is straight near the hilt but ends in a curve. It is only about 2 feet long but very heavy. If using it properly, a character can add a +1 bonus on the opposed attack roll when attempting to disarm an enemy (including the opposed attack roll to avoid being disarmed himself, if he fails to disarm the enemy).

This is an exact retyping of the text of the Sibeccai Khopesh entry. Except for your replacement of the name with "KRUNCH". So what you've now done is to reproduce intellectual property without the permission of the owner. Then, you went on to pretend that you didn't know this. At this point, I can only suggest that you read the dictionary definition of the term "misrepresentation."

"You are not a lawyer."

To set the record straight, you are correct. I happen to be a litigation claims adjuster, but I do not have a juris doctor degree.

My suggestion was meant to be friendly. The original poster now has what he wanted anyway. So let me again suggest that you remove the text in your posts which contains illegal copies of material reproduced from Chapter Six, Equipment, of Monte Cook's Arcana Unearthed.

Storminator

First Post
Varianor Abroad said:
FYI, I did read all of your posts. Your response is disingenous because the clause "and equipment" clearly refers to the weapons.

Let's look at one of your entries, shall we?

This is an exact retyping of the text of the Sibeccai Khopesh entry. Except for your replacement of the name with "KRUNCH". So what you've now done is to reproduce intellectual property without the permission of the owner. Then, you went on to pretend that you didn't know this. At this point, I can only suggest that you read the dictionary definition of the term "misrepresentation."

"You are not a lawyer."

To set the record straight, you are correct. I happen to be a litigation claims adjuster, but I do not have a juris doctor degree.

My suggestion was meant to be friendly. The original poster now has what he wanted anyway. So let me again suggest that you remove the text in your posts which contains illegal copies of material reproduced from Chapter Six, Equipment, of Monte Cook's Arcana Unearthed.

Just out of curiosity, how can Monte protect the stats of his weapons? Names, sure, descriptions, perhaps, but the stats? Aren't those clearly derived from the SRD?

PS

Status
Not open for further replies.
Remove ads