D&D 5E Help with Background balance

Dannorn

Explorer
So I'm putting together a campaign for my group where Elves have taken over and use the other races as slaves/beasts; think Planet of the Apes with Elves.

Since the existing backgrounds don't really fit in that kind of a setting I'm coming up with my own and just looking to get some additional eyes on it.

Guard
Skills: Athletics and Intimidation or Perception
Equipment: Club, common clothes
Feature:

Pet
Skills: Performance, Insight
Tools: Musical Instrument
Equipment: Musical Instrument, fancy clothes
Feature: Where I Belong - You know how to act like you're supposed to be in normally restricted areas; once per long rest gain advantage to a Persuasion check to convince people you're where you should be.

Worker
Skills: Survival, Animal Handling
Tools: One artisan's tools or Vehicles (land)
Equipment: A tool related to your job, common clothes
Feature: Life of Toil - You're used to long days of hard labour; once per long rest you can ignore the effects of exhaustion for 1 hour

So that's what I've come up with so far. I'm not sure what to give for a feature to the Guard and since it's the only one that'll be starting with an actual weapon I feel like I should make it weaker than the other two but not sure how much.

Any input is appreciated, I'm open to any suggestions.

Scrutiny OR Vigilance - Once per long rest you may reroll a Perception or Insight check that has failed. You keep the second roll even if it is worse.

Dannorn

Explorer
Yes sorry meant to mention all backgrounds get proficiency in Elvish, again unsure what to give the Guard in this area, another language or tool proficiency.

Blue

Ravenous Bugblatter Beast of Traal
Yes sorry meant to mention all backgrounds get proficiency in Elvish, again unsure what to give the Guard in this area, another language or tool proficiency.

If Elvish is the new Common, I wouldn't count it as part of the backgrounds, just grant it. Unless slaver Elves in general don't speak Common.

aco175

Legend
I'm assuming that the PCs are playing non-elves?

The worker tag encompasses about everything. You can break this up a bit. Backgrounds such as cook or scribe has different skills and such. You can also expand pet to include house pet and gladiator pet.

Remove ads

AD6_gamerati_skyscraper

Remove ads

Recent & Upcoming Releases