• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Help with building a BBEG

Palskane

First Post
Here's the rundown: I run two different groups of players. Over the past month or so, we have discussed integrating the two groups for a sort of "crossover" game. Everyone was, and is, very excited about this. Things that the groups did starting affecting the other and we have slowly introduced the characters to one another.

Currently the two groups are operating somewhat independently in the same city, which is slowly being approached by a massive army which intends to lay siege. They have decided to band together to stay and help defend the city, combining their might into one huge adventuring group. Once this cooperative venture is over, then they do plan to part ways.

What I intend to do is maybe have some skirmishes, but overall they will find themselves able to confront the leader of the army. If they are able to defeat this man, then the army will be much easier to rout, using some older rules for morale.

Obviously this dastardly foe will be surrounded by a few much lower level mooks, but my problem lies in trying to balance the encounter.

In all there will be 14 PC's. Seven of them are 8th level and seven of them are 9th level. This should be a very tough encounter, but I am having a hard time making this villain challenging without slaughtering everyone or making him a pushover.

I would definitely like a foe with spellcasting ability, but a dedicated caster would probably wipe the floor with them.

Any ideas?

Thank you in advance, and I can answer any questions anyone might have.

Machiavelli

First Post
That BBEG needs to limit the effect that 14 actions to his 1 will have upon him. I'm thinking an extremely tweaked out illusionist would possibly be able to neutralize enough of the PCs at any one time to improve the odds.

questbreaker

First Post
well, it wont be 14 to 1, because the villain would have mooks. make the mooks into strike teams whose abilities compliment each other, and have the strike teams gang up on individual PCs while the rest take on the main bad guy. say 4 of your PCs are distracted by 4 strike teams of 3 NPCs each. so 4 more PCs go to help against the strike teams, give or take. that leaves 6 of your 14 PCs to go after the bad guy and whoever he has next to him.

Darklone

Well. Speaking from experience, the CR problem with large groups is summed up easily by: If you increase the CR of a single opponent to match the calculated one of your group, you'll end up with an NPC or monster that will most likely kill some of the group. If that's ok, go ahead.

The other tactic (mucho preferred by me):
Give him better mooks. Make one level 12 or 13 BBEG, preferably the greatest swordsman of the world (or something) since he's less likely to kill more than one or two PCs ... and give him an elite guard (like these silver skeleton mask 300 dudes, loved to use them since 20 years). Level 4 fighters. 20 or more. Add a bard, 2 clerics, a marshal and perhaps one dragon shaman? ;)

Edit: That way mook whopping is fun. Ever Great Cleaved through 50hp opponents? ;)

Stormrunner

Explorer
From the OP's description, sounds like the BBEG specializes in buffing his underlings, instead of whopping foes personally. This helps the DM a bit, as you can then increase his level by 1 or 2 with less chance of Instant TPK. So, bard song or something with auras (marshal, dragon shaman, commander auras from Heroes of Battle).

Then, a squad of LBEGs, say about 8 or so, each one roughly equal to a PC. Lets say 2 casters (one blaster, one buffer) of 9th level, and 6 fighters of 8th level. Give the fighters, oh, Fig 6/Exotic Weapon Master 2, and have each one wield a different exotic weapon (but otherwise have identical stats, HP, etc to cut down on prep time).

Then, each LBEG has a personal squad of 4-5 mooks of 3rd level or so. These are Cleave/Fireball fodder, their purpose is to delay the PCs a round or so while the LBEGs drink potions/cast buffs. If any survive the first round they can serve as flanking backstops. The BBEG has a slightly better squad, 4 5th-lvl archers who are there to annoy the PCs by poinking them for minor damage each round until the PCs spend a round or so to wipe them out (again, giving the BBEG time to self-buff, and making the fight last longer than 1 round).

mr_outsidevoice

First Post
BBEG could be an Eldritch Knight PrC, or Spellsword PrC. Good Combat and good magic. His CR should be 12-14

Henchmen should be PC level/CR. 6-8 of them would be good, various roles. Not just Classed characters, but intelligent monsters. Planar Ally/Binding can mix things up a little

About 4-6 Minions should be assigned to each Henchman. CR 4-6.

Mooks, i.e. fodder, just enough to expend some resources. If you have access to the DMGII, look at the Mob Rules.

Design the Battlefield ahead of time. If the Party is entering his turf, decide what his defenses are. If they find a way to draw him to a place of their choosing, awesome, they need all the help they can get.

Remember magic items. Baddies use potions, scrolls, wands, and other toys as well.

Shazman

Banned
Banned
Make the BBEG a cleric 6/hexblade 1/marshall 1/ warpriest 6. He'd have some nifty abilities, but won't be able to cast spells of high enough level to create an instant TPK. Have him take leadership, and make his cohort a fighter 1/sorcerer 6/eldritch knight 5. Make his bodyguard mooks be 6 skullcrusher ogres (MM III) and 12 4th level fighters. Divide the fighters into three teams of 4: archers, mounted fighters, and heavy infantry (heavy armor and greatswords) with the appropriate feats. Put the mounted fighters on rhinos. Have the BBEG and his cohort alternate between buffing and hindering the PC's at the beginning. Have them take the fight to the PC's once their most of their mooks are defeated. I believe this encounter should work well. You have lots of mooks too slow the party down, and the bad guys can't just nuke the party with high level spells. Their is also some nice synergy with the BBEG and his mooks to keep it from being an encounter the PC's just steamroll through.

Darklone

Hmm, Shazmans team looks nice but what about a marshal/bard/cleric with a fitting prestige class?

Get him that Badge of Valor set, that's wonderful for a marshal bard multiclass.

Remove ads