Help with latin

arscott

First Post
So, the baron of Desert's Edge has delusions of grandeur, and had declared himself ruler of the Great and Resurgent Empire of Nerath.

He'll be renaming the town "City of the New Throne", but he's just the sort of pompous idiot who'd use an archaic language.

So help me out. How do you say "City of the New Throne" in latin (good latin--he's a fool, but he's an educated fool).

Mark Chance

Boingy! Boingy!
arscott said:
How do you say "City of the New Throne" in latin (good latin--he's a fool, but he's an educated fool).

I think that would be, "Urbs Solii Novi." Somehow it just doesn't seem right, but if I've made a mistake it's so obvious I'm missing it.

:)

A quick search finds this site which claims to do English to Latin translations. It says "City of the New Throne" = "Urbs of Novus Per", but I'm guessing (never studied Latin) it didn't translate "of". "Urbs Novus Per" would probably work OK.

Jadeite

Open Gaming Enthusiast
Exquisite Dead Guy said:
A quick search finds this site which claims to do English to Latin translations. It says "City of the New Throne" = "Urbs of Novus Per", but I'm guessing (never studied Latin) it didn't translate "of". "Urbs Novus Per" would probably work OK.

Unless any of the recipient knows latin, it should work. It did work for WotC and White Wolf afterall. You need to apply the genetive. Urbs throni novi should be right.

Korgoth

First Post
City of the New Throne

:1: A city is an "urbs".

:2: "Of" is not translated directly but indicates that the things possessed should be in the "Genitive" case, so it modifies the endings.

:3: Something new is "novus". But it has to be modified for the Genitive case (to show that it is possessed), which in this instance will be "novi".

:4: A throne is a "thronus" (pretty sure that's Greek originally). But again we've got to make it Genitive since it falls under your "of", so it becomes "throni".

:5: Urbs Throni Novi (or Urbs Novi Throni, if you prefer).

drquestion

Explorer
You could use "civitas" instead of "urbs" if you like the sound of that better.

Just calling it "Thronus Novus" would work,too.

If you like, you can leave the "h" out and spell it Tronus(i). That would be more like a medieval spelling.

Remove ads