• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Help with Treasure Parcel

gjnave

First Post
im still not really clear how the rarity system is working. Im running Scales of War, and I need to come up with several parcels.

The advice given in "RaRivenroar" is:
Parcel 1: Magic Item, Level 5
Parcel 2: Magic Item, Level 5
Parcel 3: Magic Item, Level 4
Parcel 4: Magic Item, Level 3
Parcel 5: Magic Item, Level 3
Parcel 6: Magic Item, Level 2
...yada yada..

So.. this seems wrong on a few levels.
1) My characters are level 1 (though they will be level 3 by the end of the journey). These are high level magic items for level 1 newbies.

2) Im pretty sure the new rarity system wouldnt allow for so many magic items to be handed out.

Could I get some help please? Thanks!

Jim

I don't use the parcel system, I use the alternate system in the back of the DM's Rules Compendium and have my players roll for treasure. It feels like old school to me which I really like and it's not giving away too much stuff.

MerricB

Eternal Optimist
Supporter
2) Im pretty sure the new rarity system wouldnt allow for so many magic items to be handed out.

Actually, the new rarity system gives results very, very close to the old system - it's just a different method of determining it which doesn't require remembering what has happened in previous encounters.

During a 5-member party's rise from level 1 to 2, they should get:
* a level 2 item
* a level 3 item
* a level 4 item
* a level 5 item.

During a 5-member party's rise from levels 1 to 3, they should get:
* a level 2 item
* two level 3 items
* two level 4 items
* two level 5 items
* one level 6 item.

If you don't want to predetermine parcels, whenever the adventures give out treasure, you can use the random treasure tables in the DM's Kit or Rules Compendium instead - on average, the treasure will turn out to be the same.

Part of the point of the 4e magic item system is that Level+4 items aren't actually that powerful. They're nice, but hardly game-breaking. Level 1-5 items are +1 weapons. Level 6-10 items are +2 weapons. It's not really a big scaling up.

Another thing to consider is that characters with the Enchant Item ritual can create any item *up to their level*. Items found as treasure are almost always items they can't make for themselves.

Cheers!

the Jester

Legend
Another thing to consider is that characters with the Enchant Item ritual can create any item *up to their level*. Items found as treasure are almost always items they can't make for themselves.

In all fairness, the 'common only' errata to this is a huge limitation.

MerricB

Eternal Optimist
Supporter
In all fairness, the 'common only' errata to this is a huge limitation.

It really is. Sadly, one of the big areas that Wizards have dropped the ball on is providing new Essential-Era magic items. I hope the items that were planned for Mordenkainien's Magnificent Emporium don't take too long to reach us.

Cheers!

gjnave

First Post
But how do you know which level 5 (for example) items are rare, and which are merely uncommon? Do rare items only show up at certain levels?

Thanks for all the previous replies!

the Jester

Legend
But how do you know which level 5 (for example) items are rare, and which are merely uncommon? Do rare items only show up at certain levels?

Virtually everything is uncommon. The, hmm, maybe October errata? goes into a little detail and gives a list of commons, but basically there aren't many rare items in 4e as of yet.

gjnave

First Post
I don't use the parcel system, I use the alternate system in the back of the DM's Rules Compendium and have my players roll for treasure. It feels like old school to me which I really like and it's not giving away too much stuff.

Can you explain the alternate system in the DM Compendium? This is in the new Rules Compendium book?

Thanks!

Abstruse

Legend
Can you explain the alternate system in the DM Compendium? This is in the new Rules Compendium book?

Thanks!
The rules are on Page 298 and the table's starts on Page 300 of the Rules Compendium. Roll 1d20 for each encounter and add 2 for every member in the party over 5 or subtract 2 for every member under 5 (example: if you have 4 PCs in the party, it's 1d20 - 2; if you have 7 PCs, it's 1d20 + 4). Consult each line on the table and award treasure based on that. Here's an example entry from Level 1:

(11-14) 2d6 x 100sp; (15+) 2d6 x 10gp
(18+) 1d2 gems worth 100gp
(20+) one art object worth 250gp
(13+) one magic item of level 1d4+1

So say you have 6 PCs in your party. You roll for the first encounter and get 14. The modifier makes that 16, so the players would get 2d6 x 10gp and a Level 1d4+1 magic item. If the modified roll is under 11, there's no treasure for that encounter.

Second encounter, you roll a 4. That's modified to a 6, which means there's no treasure for that encounter.

Third encounter, you roll a 19 which modifies to a 21. That means they get 2d6 x 10gp, 1d2 gems worth 100gp each, an art object worth 250gp, and a Level 1d4+1 magic item.

If you've done random treasure from previous editions, it makes more sense. If you haven't, the rules in the book make a lot more sense there because they talk for a page and a half explaining what I was trying to explain.

Shadowslayer

Explorer
(11-14) 2d6 x 100sp; (15+) 2d6 x 10gp
(18+) 1d2 gems worth 100gp
(20+) one art object worth 250gp
(13+) one magic item of level 1d4+1

So say you have 6 PCs in your party. You roll for the first encounter and get 14. The modifier makes that 16, so the players would get 2d6 x 10gp and a Level 1d4+1 magic item. If the modified roll is under 11, there's no treasure for that encounter.

Second encounter, you roll a 4. That's modified to a 6, which means there's no treasure for that encounter.

Third encounter, you roll a 19 which modifies to a 21. That means they get 2d6 x 10gp, 1d2 gems worth 100gp each, an art object worth 250gp, and a Level 1d4+1 magic item.

If you've done random treasure from previous editions, it makes more sense. If you haven't, the rules in the book make a lot more sense there because they talk for a page and a half explaining what I was trying to explain.

Yes...but thats not 100 percent correct if you're going by the book. If you use it as written, you're supposed to make a d20 roll for each treasure type.

So using your example, for one encounter, you'd roll once for coins. If the d20 roll is between 11 and 15, then they get the coins. Second roll is for gems....if they roll under 18, then no gems. 3rd roll - if its not a 20, then no art object etc etc. Repeat for each encounter.

Its minor, but just thought I'd point it out. Even though a DM is free to award treasure however he likes, the way quoted above would create a lot more hit and miss as to whether there's treasure to be had. At least if you roll seperately for each treasure type, you know there's a fair chance they're at least walking away with something.

Last edited:

Remove ads