Helping kids to act in character and not use player knowledge

Ovinomancer

No flips for you!
Any tips on helping kids to not use their player knowledge and view their action choices through the knowledge and motives of their PC?

I have 8 year old boy/girl twins. My daughter clearly understands the concept. For her it’s obvious and she will even talk in character. But for my son, it’s as if I’m asking him to solve a calculus problem.

He gets quickly defensive, angry and frustrated if I disallow usage of knowledge his PC couldn’t possibly know, despite me trying to introduce this concept slowly and gently.

Likely this just a cognitive development stage issue but if anyone has some tips to help, I’d appreciate it.

Thanks in advance
Why are you presenting situations where player knowledge matters in a way that it must be ignored? This seems like a design problem on the GM's side rather than a player-side problem. It's trivial to design so that player knowledge doesn't matter, so not do that?

marv

Explorer
Some great replies! Thank you all and especially a shout out to Tonguez, who had some excellent specific advice that might work.
To clarify, I never get mad about this. Where this gets in the way is that it’s preventing him from doing any kind of role playing. Instead he’s thinking of it more like a video game (Minecraft).
I will be patient with where he is at, try to help him visualize what his character sees and knows (and doesn’t know) and reward him when he acts “in character”.

iserith

Magic Wordsmith
Some great replies! Thank you all and especially a shout out to Tonguez, who had some excellent specific advice that might work.
To clarify, I never get mad about this. Where this gets in the way is that it’s preventing him from doing any kind of role playing. Instead he’s thinking of it more like a video game (Minecraft).
I will be patient with where he is at, try to help him visualize what his character sees and knows (and doesn’t know) and reward him when he acts “in character”.

If you're playing D&D 5e, roleplaying is defined in the PHB as "...literally, the act of playing out a role. In this case, it's you as a player determining how your character thinks, acts, and talks." It then goes on to talk about active and descriptive roleplaying. If you're using some other definition of "roleplaying," it might be worth taking a look at what he's doing through D&D 5e's lens instead if that's the game you're playing.

hawkeyefan

Legend
I'd try to avoid situations where there is a strong need to separate player and character knowledge.

It's impossible to eliminate those, though, so I think when it does happen, instead of correcting it, simply allow it. But maybe ask " How does Ragnar know that?" This points out that Ragnar may not know something, but also gives him the opportunity to come up with an idea. If he can't, then don't worry....supply one yourself and move along.

I'd also suggest prompting in that way as well....put the idea in his head that he and his character are different by saying things like "What does Ragnar want to do?" or "Ragnar takes 12 points of damage from the vicious orc's axe" instead of "what do you want to do?" and so on. This may help establish the distinction in a very basic way, which may help to get things started.

That's probably the steps I'd take, but I'd still apply them gently and sparingly unless they seem to help.

Wolfram stout

Adventurer
Supporter
As an aside, I watched the Christmas themed D&D episode of Big Bang Theory last night. Every encounter they showed involved player challenges not character challenges (outside of some combat rolls).

Remove ads