• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

D&D General Helping Small Characters Feel Small

jasper

Rotten DM
I did just the opposite. I had half town which the south side on one my cities. Everything was geared for short people. Talls had to roll a skill check not to bump their heads.

G

Guest 6801328

Every time the player makes a slightly sub-optimal move, have everybody at the table roll their eyes and ask them if they're sure they want to keep participating in the campaign.

They'll feel really small.

I'm trying to think of the last time any of the people I played with played anything smaller than a dwarf which was towards the top of the height range for a dwarf.

I had a sidekick who was a Ghostwise Halfling at one point. That's literally the only size S 5E character I've actually seen at a table I was playing at. Wow. That's kind of surprising. Even the guy who always players "joke" or "weird" characters has never played anything less than size M in 5E.

In earlier editions we saw a few. I've often had people threaten to play a Halfing or Kobold, but then you see their actual PC and it's something disappointingly normal.

So this isn't something I've had to deal with for a long time. Previous to now I found the best way was to have some stuff they just have a much easier time fitting through, and some stuff they're going to need a boost up and so on.

Tonguez

A suffusion of yellow
I did just the opposite. I had half town which the south side on one my cities. Everything was geared for short people. Talls had to roll a skill check not to bump their heads.

PC Athwyn the Elf walks into a bar
GM ok roll dex, you really shoul;d have ducked

Last edited:

Fauchard1520

Adventurer

Digging the concept of Half-town. You always think about the hobbits needing boosties to reach the stools at the Prancing Pony, but asking humans to sit on the "short chair" works just as well.

jasper

Rotten DM
Digging the concept of Half-town. You always think about the hobbits needing boosties to reach the stools at the Prancing Pony, but asking humans to sit on the "short chair" works just as well.
I didn't even do that. The talls had 4 tables at the front wall. The barmaids had a runway bolted to the wall so they could walk up and place the order on the tables. All official business in Half-town had to have space for talls but once you got so far in, the ceiling came down in height. The pcs soon figured out who should do the talking by how high the ceiling was.

Remove ads