D&D 5E Here be Monsters: Godzilla!

Maxperson

Morkus from Orkus
I don't think the tail sweep should be a cone. It should just be an arc behind him that's about 20 feet or so high due to the thickness of the tail.

dave2008

Legend
A cone with a tail as long as his would go up hundreds of feet. Godzilla's tail doesn't do that. :)
Uni has the correct idea. A cone shape in plan is an arc. Now I get that a cone is literally 3-dimensional, so perhaps that is not the best way to explain it. I guess I could say: Godzilla sweeps its tail in a 400-foot arc.

I am not sure about describing the height. I mean when a blue dragon's lightning breath is described it just gives length and width, not depth. I guess I always imagine these descriptions primarily in 2D and you have to assume the DM understands what is going on an can adjudicate it. I've been describing tails sweeps like this since 4e and your the first person to suggest a different method. So I guess I assumed everyone understood the intent.

dave2008

Legend
x10 is a slog. Even in the Godzilla movies, he usually only fights 3 times - "defeated" twice to come back at the last second to turn the fight into a draw (i.e, the mythic recharge kicking in), and then a win on the 3rd (or in the '54, he gets Oxygen destroyed, and in Destroyah, he melts down). In essence, it makes the 3rd fight the nail-biter. Of course, you could also have it that if he's defeated the 3rd time, he goes nuclear, which alludes to Destroyah & King of Monsters!
I'm not sure what your getting at really. This isn't really a monster to be fought by PCs. And the # of times it fights has no relation to its HP. It should be at full HP at everyone fight. What is relevant is the damage other monsters are doing. Which would make a one on one battle 13-20 rounds or 1-2 minutes.
As for psychic, in Godzilla vs. Mechagodzilla (2002), the main plot deals with them attempting to fry his brain (as best I remember). I think in other instances, I may have been thinking of Gamera's enemies.
They were trying to crush its "2nd brain" if I remember correctly. Which isn't really psychic damage
And you need to make Mothra! (And King Kong ;) )
I would like to do Mothra, Rodan, Anguirus, and King Ghidorah, I just don't have the time right now.

There is already a Giant Ape stat block isn't there?

James Gasik

We don't talk about Pun-Pun
Supporter
The main thing I disagree with is immunity to psychic damage. He's been psychically dominated in the past, and he's faced enemies who have had psychic attacks and have harmed him. His DR 15 and Psychic Resistance should prevent most low-level psychic attacks from most humanoids harm him.

It should only take 1 round to charge his breath, it's not that long of a charge-up, just noticeable. Just enough to seek cover or know you're F'ed.

Also, I think the Kiaju mythic trait should be more than plenty at 3 uses.
Not for very long though, in Godzilla vs. Biollante, the strongest psychic in the series (barring Mothra herself), Miki Saegusa, was psychically ejected from the monster's mind, causing her to collapse. In Godzilla vs. Space Godzilla, a technological device was required to bypass his incredible resistance to psychic domination.

Though to be fair, the earlier, Showa era Godzilla could be brainwashed and controlled by technology, as seen in Invasion of Astro-Monster.

Attachments

• godzilla-haters-gonna-hate.gif
    godzilla-haters-gonna-hate.gif
    1.9 MB · Views: 109

James Gasik

We don't talk about Pun-Pun
Supporter
I'm not sure what your getting at really. This isn't really a monster to be fought by PCs. And the # of times it fights has no relation to its HP. It should be at full HP at everyone fight. What is relevant is the damage other monsters are doing. Which would make a one on one battle 13-20 rounds or 1-2 minutes.

They were trying to crush its "2nd brain" if I remember correctly. Which isn't really psychic damage

I would like to do Mothra, Rodan, Anguirus, and King Ghidorah, I just don't have the time right now.

There is already a Giant Ape stat block isn't there?
Yes but don't forget that time Kong randomly got electrical powers!

Maxperson

Morkus from Orkus
I said 2D ;)
Sure, and as @dave2008 said, you have the right of it. In D&D mechanics, though, a cone isn't 2D and someone who doesn't know much about Godzilla or who assumes that for D&D it's different, because it's written as cone, it will be a full cone. I think describing it as an a sweep in an arc, even without any height description, is a better way to write it.

beancounter

(I/Me/Mine)
Much like demon and devil lords who are not given stat blocks in 5E, isn't Godzilla beyond mortal measure?

I mean he's more than a monster, he's a force of nature. Essentially a primordial being.

Remove ads