D&D 5E Here it is! Version 5 of my hombrewed Warlord class!

Undrave

Legend
Battlefield Insight's option Improve Precision should probably be triggered by an ally targeting a creature not them attacking
Otherwise they attack, you shout, they get advantage and retroactively hit
That's probably a better wording yeah since that's what I was going for. Thanks!
The Shouts should probably grant their bonus tied to something reliable, like half proficiency rather than pushing the character to try and have Wisdom and Intelligence and Charisma as high as possible. Or all the class' options should use the same secondary stat. As written a character will have one effective shout, one that grants a minor bonus, and one likely with a penalty
All the bonus in the shout say 'minimum +1', so you can't actually get a penalty. The idea with the Presence offering the half stat bonus to a different Shout was so you'd have two out of three decent shouts and one with a minor +1 bonus at worst. I don't think half-proficiency would be good enough though, so I might just go for full proficiency... I just worry it might make the whole package too strong if all three are equally powerful and you have no weak spot? Or I just go for a good ol' d6 for some randomness, giving me a potential lever to pull on in a further class feature when it gets upgraded to a d8 or something???

I'll think about it I guess.
Rise Up should target a creature under an effect a save can end rather a condition. There are some effects that aren't conditions that cause conditions
Oh that's a good point! I didn't think of that, thanks!
Under Expose Weakness, Distracted should probably just prevent the target from taking reactions. It's simpler to say and manage
Under the secondary ability to increase the range you can Help it could be 10 feet per die. Insight dies are big and increase slowly
You're right, it's much easier to keep track... As for the feet per die bonus, this is a new addition so I hadn't really had time to really consider the balancing... I just worry that by level 20 you could use the help action at 100 feet and that feels ridiculous, but I don't want to add complicated 'up to X' limit in there ya know? 5 feet is low but it scales better as you level up. I could always START at 10 feet? Would that work?
Advanced Signals, Exposed Nerves. There no mechanic in the game called an "attribute"
Shoot, I meant ability! I'll fix it right away.
The second benefit of Master's Insight could be cleaned up. Perhaps "The first time in a round you use your Battlefield Insight it doesn't use your reaction." Or a bonus reaction that can only be used for Battlefield Insight
That's a much better wording, thanks... Though that would mean that if you use an Opportunity Attack FIRST Insight would be unavailable so I could go for the extra reaction thing. I've done a quick fix if you want to check if you think it's better.
Tempered Body should say "you gain proficiency in Strength and Constitution saving throws."
Right! Another thing I can switch right away.
Ultimate Awareness is odd. A +10 bonus means the character is always rolling a natural 20 for Perception and Investigation
Yeah I completely forgot about bounded accuracy on that one... how about +5?
Peerless Insight should add 1d6 to your Insight Pool at the start of EACH of your turns. Otherwise it's just once.
Oh... Another quick fix then.

Thanks for the comments! Did you also have time to look at the subclasses?

Undrave

Legend
Yes, that feels good.

That you can't use it yourself is actually a net positive: you can use it from safety. Sneak Attack with a melee weapon requires getting up and personal.

In general, I like your ideas; I just think that they need a little toning down. If you were to base everything off the generation and consumption of insight dice, that would be a very good start.
Thanks! I've considered adding a Insight cost to Shouts but then I'd need to rework the generation method...

As for the feet per die bonus, this is a new addition so I hadn't really had time to really consider the balancing... I just worry that by level 20 you could use the help action at 100 feet and that feels ridiculous, but I don't want to add complicated 'up to X' limit in there ya know? 5 feet is low but it scales better as you level up. I could always START at 10 feet? Would that work?
100 feet would be ridiculous, but it could be capped
But it's a theoretical problem. No one is going to spend three rounds saving up dice only to Help someone on the next map. The dice are too useful
Thanks for the comments! Did you also have time to look at the subclasses?
Not yet

Undrave

Legend
100 feet would be ridiculous, but it could be capped
But it's a theoretical problem. No one is going to spend three rounds saving up dice only to Help someone on the next map. The dice are too useful
Capping it is just one more thing people have to keep track of and I'd rather avoid that. I'd rather cap it more organically.

Also I should probably add a 4d6 gain on the attack action at level 20, just so it's faster to get back to full...hmm

Stalker0

Legend
You're right, it's much easier to keep track... As for the feet per die bonus, this is a new addition so I hadn't really had time to really consider the balancing... I just worry that by level 20 you could use the help action at 100 feet and that feels ridiculous,
If the most ridiculous thing your 20th level character is doing is providing the Help Action at 100 feet.... your playing the character wrong :)

In seriousness, you are blowing your entire insight pool to make that happen.... considering how much damage a round that can be that is probably one of the weakest things you could spend the dice on. I also think 10 feet is fine, and I wouldn't worry about the distance scaling even a little bit.

Stalker0

Legend
Not that I think it's too powerful at that level, just the fiction of it sounds ridiculous is all...
I repeat the point though, 20th level characters should routinely be doing ridiculous things.

a fighter can laugh off a terminal velocity fall.
A rogue can accomplish extremely difficult (DC 25) checks...by taking 10, aka at a whim. A sharpshooter assassin can automatically (aka Hawkeye style) bullseye a creature 1200 feet away.
A barbarian can casually lift 720 lbs (aka no check required).

Being able to shout from a good distance away and give a player some insight bonuses....is not ridiculous

Undrave

Legend
I repeat the point though, 20th level characters should routinely be doing ridiculous things.

a fighter can laugh off a terminal velocity fall.
A rogue can accomplish extremely difficult (DC 25) checks...by taking 10, aka at a whim. A sharpshooter assassin can automatically (aka Hawkeye style) bullseye a creature 1200 feet away.
A barbarian can casually lift 720 lbs (aka no check required).

Being able to shout from a good distance away and give a player some insight bonuses....is not ridiculous
I guess Booming Voice helps in that then... I can just see a Warlord teaming up with a Warlock (or maybe anyone with Magic Missile) to bring down a creature flying away with the Advanced Signal 'Wing Muscle'.

I don't mind it being something they can DO but I feel that the image it conjures sounds a bit silly, not to me, but for other players with a more narrativist bent.

Warlock: "ELDRITCH..."
Warlord: "Hey, aim 4 degree below the wing joint."
Warlock: "BLAST!"
hits the dragon, dragon plummets like a stone
Warlock: "Hey that worked!"

At the same time it could lead to fun moments at the table so I could just ignore the nagging feeling and just assume the silly.

Mind you, the TARGET of the attack is what needs to be at 100 feet, the attacker can be anywhere where they're in range to attack that creature so the Warlock in my example could be anywhere 120 away from the dragon.

Tinker-TDC

Explorer
One thing I just noticed is on initial reading I assumed Booming Voice doubling the distance you can be heard at (a number that isn't really codified anywhere) would also double the distance of your shouts (require you to se your voice and requires your ally to hear you) but that seems not to be the case.
Are these things supposed to be tied together or am I just looking into it too far? Both seem reasonable and I doubt upping your main class ability to 60 feet at 7th level would upset balance.

Undrave

Legend
One thing I just noticed is on initial reading I assumed Booming Voice doubling the distance you can be heard at (a number that isn't really codified anywhere) would also double the distance of your shouts (require you to se your voice and requires your ally to hear you) but that seems not to be the case.
Are these things supposed to be tied together or am I just looking into it too far? Both seem reasonable and I doubt upping your main class ability to 60 feet at 7th level would upset balance.
That’s a good point… Booming Voice is more of a ribbon ability than anything (which is why its benefits are more story based like those of a background feature)… the distance of shouts is more a case of you have to see what’s going on with the ally from a reasonable distance…

but that’s always something I could include if I were to move Booming Voice to level 11 as a battle buff and move Veteran’s Poise as the 7th level ribbon… hmmm…

Remove ads