Starfinder Here's the cover of INCIDENT AT ABSALOM STATION, the first adventure in Starfinder's DEAD SUNS AP!

The first Starfinder adventure path, launching in August along with the core rules, is the Dead Suns AP. Following the same model as Paizo's Pathfinder adventure paths, it's a 6-module series. The first adventure is called Incident at Absalom Station, and here's a look at the cover by David Alvarez, depicting the leader of a notorious street gang on Absalom Station! The Dead Suns AP will be released every other month (taking 12 months in total), and each adventure contains a new planet, a new starship, and new monsters.

attachment.php

Kramodlog

Naked and living in a barrel
Switching to this format for both SF and PF, wouldn't be a bad business move. Two APs a year, one traditional, one in space.

Huh. Every other month.

Between that and limiting the line to the Core Book and the monster book (plus the very necessary pawns) seems like a good idea.
Monthly product is nice, but from experience it's super hard to play through an entire AP volume in a month. I ran two and they both took a hair over a year, and we went at rocket pace through a lot of the content. Being forced to slow down wouldn't have been bad. And when you can only play every other AP, there quickly ends up being competition for what to play next, with the new product having to fight for attention with every product previously printed.
Staff is likely also a factor as it takes eight months for the standard team to do an AP, so they need two staff overlapping development schedules. Slowing down the releases will help.
Oh, and with more time, there might even be the chance for playtesting to occur, leading to a better product.

I really want to like this line, but I am NOT a fan of Parhfinder at all. The setting, the look (especially the minis) are all great.. but the pathfinder mechanics are not for me.

Louis Brenton

Explorer
Huh. Every other month.
Between that and limiting the line to the Core Book and the monster book (plus the very necessary pawns) seems like a good idea.

Oh, and with more time, there might even be the chance for playtesting to occur, leading to a better product.

I very much agree with David. Dialing back the release schedule seems like a wise move.

I'd be very curious to hear about feedback they've been getting regarding the earlier release schedule. What % of Pathfinder players were completing each adventure in one month & were ready for the next one?

ddaley

Explorer
I hope they release other adventures for Starfinder in addition to the APs. Keep in mind, that a slower schedule is probably fine for Pathfinder, as there is already tons of material available. However, Starfinder is brand new. There is no other content at the moment. What if the first AP isn't to your liking? Are you going to wait a year until the begin the next one?

I haven't played Pathfinder in a while. Some of their APs were appealing to me while others didn't interest me at all. It would be a shame if their first AP didn't appeal to a wide audience.

I very much agree with David. Dialing back the release schedule seems like a wise move.

I'd be very curious to hear about feedback they've been getting regarding the earlier release schedule. What % of Pathfinder players were completing each adventure in one month & were ready for the next one?

I hope they release other adventures for Starfinder in addition to the APs. Keep in mind, that a slower schedule is probably fine for Pathfinder, as there is already tons of material available. However, Starfinder is brand new. There is no other content at the moment.
That's the catch-22 of gaming releases, being it accessories/ splatbooks or adventures.

You want a lot right at the start, because there's nothing. So you want a fast release schedule. But, once you get the initial offerings out, you don't need as much (or anything), so the release schedule has to ramp waaaay down or you bloat the game.
Alternatively, you start slow and maintain a slower release schedule for the lifetime of the game. It's harder to start, but it's healthier in the long run.

What if the first AP isn't to your liking? Are you going to wait a year until the begin the next one?
That's going to be a problem regardless. Either you wait six months or you wait a year. Either way, you're waiting.
But I imagine most people will just make their own adventure. The APs are played by a minority anyway.
Plus, they'll have the Starfinder Society modules as well.
Or 3rd Parties. Paizo has always had a good relationship with their 3PP.

Remove ads

Remove ads

AD6_gamerati_skyscraper

Remove ads

Recent & Upcoming Releases