D&D Movie/TV Here's The D&D Movie Trailer!

"Who needs heroes when you have thieves?" The movie arrives March 3rd, 2023. Here's the trailer! When they said it was inspired by Guardians of the Galaxy, they weren't kidding! We have dragons, owlbears, mimics, gelatinous cubes, quips, and more! There was also a clip shown at San Diego Comic Con where the party cast speak with dead, and got to ask five questions. Also, apparently, the...

"Who needs heroes when you have thieves?" The movie arrives March 3rd, 2023. Here's the trailer! When they said it was inspired by Guardians of the Galaxy, they weren't kidding! We have dragons, owlbears, mimics, gelatinous cubes, quips, and more!

There was also a clip shown at San Diego Comic Con where the party cast speak with dead, and got to ask five questions. Also, apparently, the D&D cartoon characters from the 80s have a cameo!

pukunui

Legend
There's at least one Thayan lich in the film.
Correction: there are at least two Red Wizards of Thay in this movie. The first one appears to be a lich:

Screenshot 2022-07-22 153139.jpg

but the one in the arena appears to be a young woman!

Screenshot 2022-07-22 153031.jpg

Their outfits are not the same, so I would contend they are not the same character.

I don’t know about 5th edition rules, but the 4e PHB2 had druids, and one of their powers allows them to change to “beast form”, which is a natural or fey beast of the Druid’s choice. The owl bear is a fey beast.

The main difficulty is that the Druid remains the same size in beast form as in normal form.

Hussar

Legend
LOVE the trailer. Definitely going to get me into the theater for this one. :D

On the point about dwarves - the problem with dwarves in a movie would be that a 4'7" dwarf would weight in about 175 pounds. Which is about a foot shorter than Michelle Rodriguez and about 50 pounds or so heavier. IOW, any live action dwarf that actually fit dwarf proportions would NOT look like Michelle Rodriguez. To put it in perspective, Peter Dinklage is 4' 5" and 110 pounds. So, basically you need half again as heavy with the same height. That's not an easy body shape to do without some camera tricks and CG.

But, in the world of movie magic? I'm thinking that they perhaps went with the right decision.

pukunui

Legend
OK I've watched and rewatched this trailer several times looking for all the little details, and one thing that stands out is that Regé-Jean's character is only seen in the Underdark / Gracklstugh scenes. He's not in any of the outdoor/city scenes.

I'm going to guess that part of the movie involves the party going to Gracklstugh to steal that golden helmet from Thembercaud's hoard. Justice Smith's sorcerer is later seen wearing/using the helmet.

I wonder if perhaps the movie goes something like this:

Chris, Michelle, and Justice help that female mage steal that horn thing. The Red Wizards get their hands on it and cause trouble. This lands the trio in Revel's End prison. They then escape and make their way across Icewind Dale. Somewhere in points south, they meet up with a tiefling druid. They go to Neverwinter and fight another Red Wizard in an arena while Hugh looks on from the stands.

They then team up with Regé-Jean to descend into the Underdark to steal the helmet. Perhaps Regé-Jean's character makes the ultimate heroic paladin sacrifice after doing that MCU superhero-style leap at the dragon.

Paul3

Explorer
Don't know if it has been announced, but you have to assume that WOTC will be releasing a hardcover connected to the movie to cross market.

So, any thoughts as to whether it will be more of a sourcebook like the Sword Coast Adventurer's Guide or an actual adventure setting? Or, maybe both?

BTW, the trailer looks great.

JEB

Legend
He also said that they are not bound in any way by past D&D lore when making 5e material.
They also made it clear with the current canon policy that licensed media are a whole separate thing from the tabletop game's canon - even novels, at this point. Anyone expecting the film to be true to anything said in even the 5E core rulebooks is setting themselves up for disappointment.

pukunui

Legend
Don't know if it has been announced, but you have to assume that WOTC will be releasing a hardcover connected to the movie to cross market.

So, any thoughts as to whether it will be more of a sourcebook like the Sword Coast Adventurer's Guide or an actual adventure setting? Or, maybe both?
I bet less on hardcover, and more on a movie-specific tie-in Starter Set.
In either case, it would give them the opportunity to update / reintroduce some of the content from Out of the Abyss.

MGibster

Legend
Give you one guess what my favorite monster in the trailer is?

Do you remember the stupid double bladed sword they added to the equipment list for 3rd edition? The double bladed sword that was only there because a certain Darth Maul wielded a double bladed lightsaber in The Phantom Menace? What are the odds that druids don't get the ability to shift into an owlbear form in the near future? I think we're going to see this in the game at some point in the future.

Remove ads

Remove ads