D&D Movie/TV Here's The D&D Movie Trailer!

"Who needs heroes when you have thieves?" The movie arrives March 3rd, 2023. Here's the trailer! When they said it was inspired by Guardians of the Galaxy, they weren't kidding! We have dragons, owlbears, mimics, gelatinous cubes, quips, and more! There was also a clip shown at San Diego Comic Con where the party cast speak with dead, and got to ask five questions. Also, apparently, the...

"Who needs heroes when you have thieves?" The movie arrives March 3rd, 2023. Here's the trailer! When they said it was inspired by Guardians of the Galaxy, they weren't kidding! We have dragons, owlbears, mimics, gelatinous cubes, quips, and more!

There was also a clip shown at San Diego Comic Con where the party cast speak with dead, and got to ask five questions. Also, apparently, the D&D cartoon characters from the 80s have a cameo!

Emrico

Adventurer
They want to make the D&D brand a thing, not the Forgotten Realms. And the D&D brand is the one that has the heft to it - the number of people who have heard of Forgotten Realms outside of ttrpgs is mostly CRPG players.

Also the idea that once you make a bad movie with a brand that brand is forever tainted and can never be used again would be news to pretty much all of Hollywood.
Exactly This.

I've been playing D&D for 41 years and in that time have talked about it a LOT to family/friends/extended family.

I could say to any of them that there's a D&D Movie coming out and they would all know pretty much what that meant. If I said there's a Forgotten Realms Movie coming out I would get confused/clueless looks from 90% of them.

People who don't play know the brand. They don't know the setting names.

Paramount & Hasbro need people that don't play D&D but kinda/sorta know what it is on brand recognition to go see this movie if they want to build a film franchise on it.

Or how the Bumblebee movie was a reboot but they didn't want to full commit to calling it a reboot to not alienate fans of the Bayformers movies until the movie did well enough on its own.

If I was marketing this new movie, however, I'd try to get it out there as much as possible that it's unrelated the terrible old movies...

Honestly surprised anyone not into D&D would even remember those movies... they seem pretty forgettable.
The terrible old movie came out only just a bit before the LoTR films. 'X-men' was released around the same time. Spiderman shortly thereafter. This was, to me, the dawn of the mainstreaming of a lot of nerd culture.

For my experience at least, this elevation of comic stuff and LoTR did not carry D&D with it. TBH, I'm not even sure I've seen the movie, so much as I just know it was bad enough that my friends and I had no interest in going to the theaters to see it at the peak of teenage disposable income and free time. Considering the rennaissance in nerd culture that was on the horizon, the proof that we were a big enough, profitable enough audience to finally invest in, I'm not sure if there was a worse time to come out with a terrible movie.

All this to say, I can see good reason to want to reference the old movie for humor or possibly fan service for the few folks who might have seen and enjoyed the movie, but it would seem to be a particularly bad option as a necessary narrative starting place.

Jer

Legend
Supporter
All this to say, I can see good reason to want to reference the old movie for humor or possibly fan service for the few folks who might have seen and enjoyed the movie, but it would seem to be a particularly bad option as a necessary narrative starting place.
I'm not sure that there's anyone who unironically enjoyed the movie. Although I suppose it's possible.

I do know a lot of people who enjoy the movie ironically. As in during a bad movie night mixed in with another bad movie like Birdemic or Miami Connection. Even there though it's a bit too boring to be the kind of bad movie that a lot of the folks who enjoy bad movies ironically want to watch. (IMO it is fun to watch it as if you're watching someone take their D&D sessions and put it on screen though. Dwarf disappears for a while? His player couldn't make it this week. Magic user just stops casting spells after a while? Must have run out of spell slots. But you have to live at the intersection of "liking bad movies" and "speaks D&D" to appreciate it in that way.)

CleverNickName

Limit Break Dancing
To avoid derailing the thread, I created an Owlbear Druid poll. Check it out.

Von Ether

Legend
Exactly This.

I've been playing D&D for 41 years and in that time have talked about it a LOT to family/friends/extended family.

I could say to any of them that there's a D&D Movie coming out and they would all know pretty much what that meant. If I said there's a Forgotten Realms Movie coming out I would get confused/clueless looks from 90% of them.

People who don't play know the brand. They don't know the setting names.

Paramount & Hasbro need people that don't play D&D but kinda/sorta know what it is on brand recognition to go see this movie if they want to build a film franchise on it.

Agreed. I even suspect that we are reaching a point where the whole hobby is now being called D&D by those who have not to little familiarity.

Staffan

Legend
I know they keep referring to Pine as a Bard and there's reason to think he may not cast spells, but isn't that just bc a Rogue Mastermind with the Entertainer background?
Yes and no. The dude's carrying his lute in a fairly exposed manner into some pretty gnarly situations. That would imply that it's a tool on par with the paladin's sword or barbarian's axe, not just something you use to raise morale around the campfire.

Plus, the way the barbarian mentioned "Plus, he plays the lute" at the end of the trailer implies that it's a Chekov's Lute.

Jer

Legend
Supporter
Agreed. I even suspect that we are reaching a point where the whole hobby is now being called D&D by those who have not to little familiarity.
That's actually how it has always been. Playing D&D has always been synonymous with role playing for folks who were outside the hobby.

However there are a lot more people who know what "playing D&D" even means now than in the past. Between Stranger Things and the Big Bang Theory my entire extended family apparently now finally understands what kind of game I was playing back in the 80s. Or at least they all want to tell me about it :)

I'm not sure that there's anyone who unironically enjoyed the movie. Although I suppose it's possible.

I do know a lot of people who enjoy the movie ironically. As in during a bad movie night mixed in with another bad movie like Birdemic or Miami Connection. Even there though it's a bit too boring to be the kind of bad movie that a lot of the folks who enjoy bad movies ironically want to watch. (IMO it is fun to watch it as if you're watching someone take their D&D sessions and put it on screen though. Dwarf disappears for a while? His player couldn't make it this week. Magic user just stops casting spells after a while? Must have run out of spell slots. But you have to live at the intersection of "liking bad movies" and "speaks D&D" to appreciate it in that way.)
Fair enough. I suspect I haven't actually seen it (or my brain has chucked all memory of it in the trash).

I've watched a lot of movies and there are only two movies I can remember that I've been mad at during the movie in the theater.

1. Batman v. Superman, because gun-toting Batman..c'mon man.

And

2. The Dark Tower because I hoped it would be the gateway to a big screen telling of one of my favorite series, but instead made that series radioactive (We're 5 years removed and I'd be shocked if we don't go another 5 before we even hear any serious rumors of folks taking another stab at it)

I guess I'd be curious to know, for the people who saw it at the time, how damaging it felt to the hobby. Did it feel like the Dark Tower, where it felt like a missed opportunity to bring D&D 'to the masses'? Or did it feel like Sharknado, where it was supposed to be bad and delivered?

payn

He'll flip ya...Flip ya for real...
2. The Dark Tower because I hoped it would be the gateway to a big screen telling of one of my favorite series, but instead made that series radioactive (We're 5 years removed and I'd be shocked if we don't go another 5 before we even hear any serious rumors of folks taking another stab at it)
Yeap, not sure what happened there.

Chaosmancer

Legend
Looked like one dude got hit by the acid and it barely phased him.

Ran through the clip at 0.25% speed. Didn't see any direct hits, and the first group we see never gets back on screen. The only person I can think you may be talking about is a guy picking himself up from next to the acid stream, but we don't see how he ended up there. Possibly he was thrown around by the dragon's wings and was never it by the acid.

Remove ads

Remove ads