D&D Movie/TV Here's The D&D Movie Trailer!

"Who needs heroes when you have thieves?" The movie arrives March 3rd, 2023. Here's the trailer! When they said it was inspired by Guardians of the Galaxy, they weren't kidding! We have dragons, owlbears, mimics, gelatinous cubes, quips, and more! There was also a clip shown at San Diego Comic Con where the party cast speak with dead, and got to ask five questions. Also, apparently, the...

"Who needs heroes when you have thieves?" The movie arrives March 3rd, 2023. Here's the trailer! When they said it was inspired by Guardians of the Galaxy, they weren't kidding! We have dragons, owlbears, mimics, gelatinous cubes, quips, and more!

There was also a clip shown at San Diego Comic Con where the party cast speak with dead, and got to ask five questions. Also, apparently, the D&D cartoon characters from the 80s have a cameo!

Jer

Legend
Supporter
I guess I'd be curious to know, for the people who saw it at the time, how damaging it felt to the hobby. Did it feel like the Dark Tower, where it felt like a missed opportunity to bring D&D 'to the masses'? Or did it feel like Sharknado, where it was supposed to be bad and delivered?
So from my perspective, since I was a young man in my 20s at the time...

Years before the movie coming out TSR had gone bankrupt. A lot of us had thought that the hobby was at its lowest point then. Wizards had rescued D&D from the bankruptcy and had come out with a new edition of D&D. They were also kinda-sorta promoting the D&D movie that was coming out later that year - the game books for the new edition started dropping at the end of summer IIRC and the D&D movie was a December/January release I think. The stuff we were seeing about the D&D movie did not make it look good - even shown in its best light the bits we saw looked cheap. However we knew that finally a Lord of the Rings movie was on the horizon - it was already starting to be hyped even though it wouldn't be out for another year IIRC.

I think we all knew that the D&D movie wasn't going to be good but I remember thinking it was worse than I had thought it was going to be. The plot was nonsense, the acting was terrible - Jeremy Irons chewed as much scenery as he could but he couldn't bring any life to the rest of the cast. And Marlon Wayan's character Snails - oof.

The best i can say about the D&D movie is that everyone seemed to agree to just forget it ever happened. I remember thinking it disappeared really quickly from theaters. I don't think any of us thought it would damage the hobby at all - after the roller coaster of bankruptcy and new edition D&D felt like it had momentum to spare - but it definitely felt like a squandered opportunity that wouldn't have happened if Wizards hadn't been contractually obligated (that's how the promotion that Wizards did felt too - contractually obligated. At least it helped to somewhat set expectations for the movie).

That's how I remember it anyway - I'm sure others have different memories.

Fair enough. I suspect I haven't actually seen it (or my brain has chucked all memory of it in the trash).

I've watched a lot of movies and there are only two movies I can remember that I've been mad at during the movie in the theater.

1. Batman v. Superman, because gun-toting Batman..c'mon man.

And

2. The Dark Tower because I hoped it would be the gateway to a big screen telling of one of my favorite series, but instead made that series radioactive (We're 5 years removed and I'd be shocked if we don't go another 5 before we even hear any serious rumors of folks taking another stab at it)

I guess I'd be curious to know, for the people who saw it at the time, how damaging it felt to the hobby. Did it feel like the Dark Tower, where it felt like a missed opportunity to bring D&D 'to the masses'? Or did it feel like Sharknado, where it was supposed to be bad and delivered?
I watched it as soon as it came to DVD. It was bad. It felt like it was just thrown together with no love for the source material. I wanted it to be good but it just wasn't.

Also, Jeremy Irons was the only good thing about it.

Chaosmancer

Legend
So that last interview is a little interesting. It seems that they purposefully toned down the magic and "superpowers" for the cast (specifically they were talking about the Storm Barbarian's Rage). I'm sure the Sorcerer was still magic and the druid is an owlbear, but thinking about it, I think that could be a directors decision to help differentiate the cast. If everyone was doing magic then the paladin's glowing runes on their sword or the sorcerers powers wouldn't have been as cool as they seem to be in the trailer.

Can't say if it is a right or wrong decision, but looking at the flaming axe head again, I'm looking forward to a climax where the barbarian explodes into a fiery rage to fight some Red Wizards and their monsters.

10M trailer views in the first 24 hours! To put into perspective, Avengers: Endgame and Spiderman: Far From Home hit 300Mish views in 24 hours, but are obviously huge, worldwide franchises. Shang-Chi, while part of the MCU, also did 10M trailer views in it's first day.

That doesn't bode well for D&D: HAT, Shang-Chi barely made a profit (roughly 200 million to make, rule of thumb says that much again in marketing, and it only made 432 million), so they really need to up their game on marketing this movie.

DarkCrisis

Reeks of Jedi
So from my perspective, since I was a young man in my 20s at the time...

Years before the movie coming out TSR had gone bankrupt. A lot of us had thought that the hobby was at its lowest point then. Wizards had rescued D&D from the bankruptcy and had come out with a new edition of D&D. They were also kinda-sorta promoting the D&D movie that was coming out later that year - the game books for the new edition started dropping at the end of summer IIRC and the D&D movie was a December/January release I think. The stuff we were seeing about the D&D movie did not make it look good - even shown in its best light the bits we saw looked cheap. However we knew that finally a Lord of the Rings movie was on the horizon - it was already starting to be hyped even though it wouldn't be out for another year IIRC.

I think we all knew that the D&D movie wasn't going to be good but I remember thinking it was worse than I had thought it was going to be. The plot was nonsense, the acting was terrible - Jeremy Irons chewed as much scenery as he could but he couldn't bring any life to the rest of the cast. And Marlon Wayan's character Snails - oof.

The best i can say about the D&D movie is that everyone seemed to agree to just forget it ever happened. I remember thinking it disappeared really quickly from theaters. I don't think any of us thought it would damage the hobby at all - after the roller coaster of bankruptcy and new edition D&D felt like it had momentum to spare - but it definitely felt like a squandered opportunity that wouldn't have happened if Wizards hadn't been contractually obligated (that's how the promotion that Wizards did felt too - contractually obligated. At least it helped to somewhat set expectations for the movie).

That's how I remember it anyway - I'm sure others have different memories.
I thought it was... fine. Even though it had no real dungeons in it. My biggest WTF was the Beholder as a Guard Dog.

The direct to video sequels were better. I think it was the 2nd film (first DTV) that was actually good...ish.

Ixal

Hero
Only saw it now.
Half iconic D&D moments, half cringe with flashbacks to the first D&D movie.
And they seem to have stolen a lot from Guardians of the Galaxy.

OB1

Jedi Master
That doesn't bode well for D&D: HAT, Shang-Chi barely made a profit (roughly 200 million to make, rule of thumb says that much again in marketing, and it only made 432 million), so they really need to up their game on marketing this movie.
I was thinking quite the opposite. If they hit an $85M opening and $435M worldwide total on the first film in what is a new franchise, I have no doubt a sequel will be announced quickly.

Dune for example, had 9M trailer views in 24 hours, opened at $40M and grossed $400M worldwide on a $165M budget and is now in production on part 2.

That said, an opening of over $100M and a $600M+ worldwide total would be viewed as breaking out of the core audience and setting up a long running franchise. Getting there will largely depend on how audiences respond to the final film.

Remove ads

Remove ads