D&D General Hero Forge in Color Is Open For Busniess!

Sacrosanct

Legend
Hmm... I think it loses some fine detail, but over all for normal use in play I think it is pretty good personally.
Yeah, totally fine for gaming purposes I think.

Re: the cost, seeing as how an unpainted one can cost you $40 depending on materials and shipping, doing it in color isn't that much more expensive. Because of the cost, however, I'd only use this service for very unique one offs. In fact, the one time I used them was for that reason.

Oofta

Legend
I could see doing just a little bit of highlighting and detail on a color print. As much as I enjoy painting, these are pretty awesome.

The vast majority of my figs still come from reaper, but these are nice when you have that special PC and you just can't find anything to match your vision or for gifts.

pukunui

Legend
They’re pricey, but what you’re getting for that price is a mini that looks exactly the way you want it to. Sometimes you have a really specific idea in mind for a character and you just can’t find a stock mini that looks quite right, and you know you don’t have the skills and/or supplies to get the colors the way you want them. I got one as a gift from a friend who got it as a Kickstarter reward, and its one of the best looking minis I own. There was no other way I was going to find a suitable mini for a Goliath drunken monk.
Yeah, this is why I decided to run my Odyssey of the Dragonlords campaign entirely in Theater of the Mind -- even with the recent Mythic Odysseys of Theros minis set, there just aren't enough "ancient Greek"-styled minis to adequately portray both the PCs and the NPCs/monsters in a thematically appropriate way.

If I was wealthy enough, I'd totally buy custom-made minis for each PC (and maybe some NPCs as well).

dave2008

Legend
Note: It isn't a paint job. They print it with colored plastic.

This also means you can make things out of transparent plastic in some cases I think.
They offer painted ones too, at least that is what they said in the kickstarter, but those are more expensive I believe as they are professionally painted. Maybe that was just for the kickstarter though.

aco175

Legend
I might do this. Mostly since the 1e halfling thief I have been using all 5e for 6 campaigns is looking rather haggard. I think I would get my money's worth at that pace. Maybe not for a single game or even campaign.

Remove ads