Hero Lab Character Creator Is Coming To 5E Very Soon!

Yesterday, I reported that popular character builder Hero Lab support for D&D 5E was very likely to be coming. Then WotC announced their new SRD and OGL - at which point, Lone Wolf announced that Hero Lab support for D&D 5E is DEFINITELY coming, along with the Realm Works campaign management tools. Not only that, but they anticipate that it'll be here pretty soon - they've already done a lot of the work. It'll cost you $20 to add 5E to your existing Hero Lab license. This is all based on the SRD - they are still talking to WotC about upgrading that to an official license; using the OGL and the SRD, they won't be able to use the brand names and other trademarks, so I'm guessing it'll just be called "Hero Lab 5E" or somesuch.

Yesterday, I reported that popular character builder Hero Lab support for D&D 5E was very likely to be coming. Then WotC announced their new SRD and OGL - at which point, Lone Wolf announced that Hero Lab support for D&D 5E is DEFINITELY coming, along with the Realm Works campaign management tools. Not only that, but they anticipate that it'll be here pretty soon - they've already done a lot of the work. It'll cost you $20 to add 5E to your existing Hero Lab license. This is all based on the SRD - they are still talking to WotC about upgrading that to an official license; using the OGL and the SRD, they won't be able to use the brand names and other trademarks, so I'm guessing it'll just be called "Hero Lab 5E" or somesuch.

pth_classes.png

The image above is from the Pathfinder version, but it should help give you an idea of what Hero Lab looks like if you're not already familiar. It enables you to create characters, and to manage them in-play. I used it for a recent Pathfinder campaign, and it's great to be able to toggle statuses and spells and other things on and off and have everything auto-calculate.

"When will it be available? The SRD has been openly discussed by Wizards of the Coast for over a year, so we’ve already built preliminary Hero Lab data files for D&D 5th Edition. We’re currently poring through the SRD to figure out what we have to omit and what holes we need to fill. We’ll provide a more informed release estimate by the end of the week, but we expect it to be a pretty short wait."

Realm Works is another beat entirely - it's a campaign management suite. It will soon be launching its own Content Market with loads of Pathfinder material. They say "We’ll obviously be making the D&D 5th Edition SRD available as well. Beyond that, the SRD will allow us to work with publishers to offer D&D 5th Edition adventures, settings, and more."

More news as/when I hear it! In the meantime, here's Lone Wolf's website, where you can find out more about both packages.

Our group played PF and Hero Labs was NEEDED to keep up with the bloat of that game, 1700 feats when last we stopped playing. For 5E, I'd like the level up ability like they had in PF in the later release. Granted I've been enjoying the old pen and paper but who can forget the night mare of rubbing through your character sheet from all the HP changes :)

I'll probably get it but not because it's needed like it is for PF but something to check out. I was getting used to not having Ipad and laptops fighting for space on the table, much less all the cords running to a power outlet..but that's just me.

Same here, can't play PF without Herolab. Love not having electronics for 5th ed but it's nice to have Herolab for stuff I can print out in a nice format. Having 5E on my iPad would rock too!

Last edited by a moderator:

variant

Adventurer
No, for coding SRD content into an electronic application. They're charging for the coding.

Call me skeptical, but if I was designing a program, I would make it very easy to input data so as not to need a whole lot of coding to add a new system or content. It already costs $30 for the program.

Morrus

Well, that was fun
Staff member
Call me skeptical, but if I was designing a program, I would make it very easy to input data so as not to need a whole lot of coding to add a new system or content. It already costs $30 for the program.

You can add content to Hero Lab yourself if you don't think it's worth paying them $20 to do it. No big deal. You'll need to learn how the software works, as it's not just data but a system you're adding, but plenty of people add new rules systems themselves.

MerricB

Eternal Optimist
Supporter

Adding data takes a large amount of time, especially for the 300 pages in the SRD. If you're taking more than a hour or two to do it, the $20 is looking like a much better deal.

Pants

First Post
Excellent. HeroLab was pretty much indispensable when I still ran Pathfinder and while 5E is much less math and rules-mastery intensive than PF, I could still see it coming in handy for a lazy... I mean 'frequently time-negligent' DM like myself.

Cool! Looks like I'll reinstall Hero-lab. I haven't used it for about a year as I've been playing 5E exclusively. While it certainly isn't needed like it was for Pathfinder, being able to play with character builds in a program I'm already familiar with is worth the $20.

Remove ads

Remove ads