Heroes #14: (Volume 4: Fugitives) A Clear and Present Danger/2009

Arnwyn

First Post
What?!?! She kicked ass this episode! She's obsessed with and mistaken about Sylar (but, after her experiences with him, who'd blame her) . . . .but she isn't taking crap from Nathan or Angela and is smart enough to be suspicious of what they were telling her.
I'm glad that made her... tolerable.

Oh, and see Felon's post. (Though he does make a very good case for poor, poor Hiro. From awesome to terribly written. Sad.)

Shayuri

First Post
Praise Hulu! I saw it.

I remember about a third in being surprised to find I was into it. The storytelling was tense, and while I didn't like every little throwaway line, the actual characters seemed interesting and the situation full of potential. It was like a trip back to Season 1, almost. Then the nonsense with Parkman sort of destroyed that, though the plane scene did help end the show on a good note.

Other reactions:

1) Hiro/Ando. More or less what I expected. Hiro's behavior is irksome, but it makes sense to me. I think it's -supposed- to be irksome (look at Ando's reaction). The only plot relevant aspect of it all right now is that Ando has powers, and Nathan doesn't know, so he's not after him AND Hiro has a GPS tracker that is right now the only easy way for anyone to know where the supers landed. I approve of the developments.

2) Claire. I was relieved that 'Dark Claire' appears to be gone. Claire is no longer the helpless swain she was, but hasn't gotten all angsty, really. The corniness of some of her lines was something I could forgive, because I appreciated the development of her character in a broader sense.

3) Syler. It was nice, and cathartic, to see SOMEONE kick some arse. I am...cautious...about the 'seeking the father' plotline. It dovetails nicely from the train wreck of the preceding 13 episodes, and has a good motivation beyond the atavistic 'hunger' that drove him in Season 1...but it has a lot of potential to turn into kitsch. We'll see.

4) Parkman. God, why WHY do they INSIST on bringing the oracle back?!?! And in the worst possible of ways!! Parkman HAS a power. A really GOOD one. Time travel's gone. We don't need a seer now. I thought this was one of the points of all the horribleness that came before...to hack all the gimpy writing shortcuts away, leaving leaner meat. It was working! Well! Then they -brought the oracle back-! And, in a disturbing parallel to the, "Hell with it," attitude from before, they ignore all previously established lore to just parcel out the power to Parkman, for no rhyme or reason...not even TRYING to make us believe that it's anything other than blatant service to a plot they don't know how to exposit without the overused hack mechanism of prophecy.

That said, this was the best episode since the end of Season 1, IMO.

Cor Azer

First Post
One thought I had half way through the episode - although once again the writers had everyone split up at the beginning of the Volume, they actually learned from complaints about volumes 2 and 3 and more or less got everyone together quickly (of course, they were captured/arrested to achieve such).

I'm hoping that this means we won't have a whole lot of separate plotlines going on in each episode, keeping everything tighter and more focused.

4) Parkman. God, why WHY do they INSIST on bringing the oracle back?!?! And in the worst possible of ways!! Parkman HAS a power. A really GOOD one. Time travel's gone. We don't need a seer now. I thought this was one of the points of all the horribleness that came before...to hack all the gimpy writing shortcuts away, leaving leaner meat. It was working! Well! Then they -brought the oracle back-! And, in a disturbing parallel to the, "Hell with it," attitude from before, they ignore all previously established lore to just parcel out the power to Parkman, for no rhyme or reason...not even TRYING to make us believe that it's anything other than blatant service to a plot they don't know how to exposit without the overused hack mechanism of prophecy.

Pretty much exactly how I feel.

Steel_Wind

Legend
4) Parkman. God, why WHY do they INSIST on bringing the oracle back?!?! And in the worst possible of ways!! Parkman HAS a power. A really GOOD one. Time travel's gone. We don't need a seer now.

Time Travel is not gone. Ando + Daphne = Time Travel.

And I might add, Ando+Daphne = Hiro's power restored, too... though if it is restored as well as Peter's was "restored", it's somewhat doubtful how well it can be "restored".

Anyways, I don't think the writers of the show are done with time travel out of any new found recognition that it's to be avoided. They may simply want to give it a rest...for a while.

Brown Jenkin

First Post
4) Parkman. God, why WHY do they INSIST on bringing the oracle back?!?! And in the worst possible of ways!! Parkman HAS a power. A really GOOD one. Time travel's gone. We don't need a seer now. I thought this was one of the points of all the horribleness that came before...to hack all the gimpy writing shortcuts away, leaving leaner meat. It was working! Well! Then they -brought the oracle back-! And, in a disturbing parallel to the, "Hell with it," attitude from before, they ignore all previously established lore to just parcel out the power to Parkman, for no rhyme or reason...not even TRYING to make us believe that it's anything other than blatant service to a plot they don't know how to exposit without the overused hack mechanism of prophecy..

Thirded

That said, this was the best episode since the end of Season 1, IMO.

This is the first episode of season 2, right?

rowport

First Post
Two thumbs up. I am not sure if it was a new direction, new writers, or what-- but if this is the new tone of the show, I will keep watching.

My favorite part was Sylar kicking butt. I am still not sure about turning him into an antihero when he is a mass murderer, but the character (and actor) is really compelling. I am fine with him having a solo plotline as long as it is meaningful, and not required of *every* character (like earlier this year).

Side note: from a character growth perspective, I really like the idea of Peter becoming an EMT. He started as a nurse, but moves to EMT, kind of like passively helping people to actively doing so, based on his experiences. Cool touch.

Fast Learner

First Post
What?!?! She kicked ass this episode! She's obsessed with and mistaken about Sylar (but, after her experiences with him, who'd blame her) . . . . but she isn't taking crap from Nathan or Angela and is smart enough to be suspicious of what they were telling her.
Agreed!

As far as the above goes, we kinda have to take the pilot's word for it when he issues his mayday that the plane was indeed pressurized. We don't know that the plane was only in the air for a few moments, because we don't know how long Claire was hiding away (the passage of time is usually handled by cutting away to another scene, so in not doing that, it leads to the perhaps incorrect assumption that Claire immediately went from climbing into the plane to freeing everyone). I also don't feel like we get a good idea of how high up they were.
Here's the thing, though: with a hole that big, the depressurization would take like 3 seconds, tops, and as far as how high they were, people are still being sucked out as it becomes clear that the plane is seconds from crashing.

Again, good reboot, but man, that anti-physics thing is irritating to me.

Remove ads