Heroes #14: (Volume 4: Fugitives) A Clear and Present Danger/2009

Pseudonym

Ivan Alias
D) He can only absorb one at a time (he lost flight when he took strength,etc)

I think that is what happened. He had Mohinder's strength, but when he touched Tracy he got her freeze power and lost the strength. Peter was beating on the soldiers with little effort then got slapped around in turn after he touched her.

If it stays that Peter can only mimic one power at a time, and only after touching a powered person, he'll be much easier to write for.

Cool that Parkman got the drawing power as it fits closer to telepathy than any other character's powers.

I thought it odd that the men who tried to capture Sylar made a point of trying to restrict his hands. I think the hand movement with his telekinesis is just a habit and not required for it to work, as he has shown in the past like when he was captured by Mohiner in season one. I missed if he used his telekinesis to knock off the stun rounds from the shotguns, or if his healing power helped or if by having Elle's electricity power he was resistant.

All in all a good episode. I hope the Hatian returns though. I always liked him.

I also wonder if they will take the opportunity with the other anonymous powered people on the plane to introduce new characters or reintroduce characters that got dropped like Monica or the guy from the webisode in to the main cast.

Arnwyn

First Post
I also wonder if they will take the opportunity with the other anonymous powered people on the plane to introduce new characters or reintroduce characters that got dropped like Monica or the guy from the webisode in to the main cast.
If they've learned anything, they won't.

Toj

First Post
I think that is what happened. He had Mohinder's strength, but when he touched Tracy he got her freeze power and lost the strength. Peter was beating on the soldiers with little effort then got slapped around in turn after he touched her.

If it stays that Peter can only mimic one power at a time, and only after touching a powered person, he'll be much easier to write for.

I agree with you 100%. That's the first thing I thought of when he touched the girl to get ice powers... he instantly started getting beat down (because he lost the super strength and super durability)). Plus, he seemed scared about the hole in the plane, and if he could still fly, he wouldn't be I would think.

Darth Shoju

First Post
I liked the episode quite a bit. It looks promising for this story arc. I was disappointed that they are continuing with the drawing/painting as prognostication, though. I find that device causes problems in fiction in general, and it has really done so in Heroes. Not only that, but it has been overused in the show, too.

But as I said, looking good. I think they are doing a better job developing Sylar without trying to make him into a "good" guy. And Nathan as the baddie is a nice touch.

Steel_Wind

Legend
I don't know about the whole reset on Peter if it's only one power at a time.

It's a serious break with the show's past; and they certainly HAVE NOT nerfed Sylar.

I must admit, I was rather cheering for Sylar as he trashed the agents. Anti-hero pretensions for the character I guess.

I actually didn't mind Claire this episode. Seems to me that she's one of the few heroes - so far - who is driven to be who she is - and isnt trying to hide from it.

Last edited:

Dire Bare

Legend
And yeah - Claire is indeed the most annoying character on the show.

What?!?! She kicked ass this episode! She's obsessed with and mistaken about Sylar (but, after her experiences with him, who'd blame her) . . . . but she isn't taking crap from Nathan or Angela and is smart enough to be suspicious of what they were telling her. How she'll handle the revelation that her dad, HRG, is also one of the bad guys . . .

Claire is the only super who got to play hero in this episode and saved everybody's bacon (well, except for the poor sap who got sucked out of the airplane . . . and anybody who bites it during the crash).

The only complaint I have about Claire in this episode is too much makeup! But it went along with the nice house and elite schools gramma's pushing her towards . . .

Felon

First Post
Depends entirely on the phone. I've had both kinds.

On the episode, nice reboot so far, I enjoyed the whole episode, except for the total baloney airplane decompression thing. I doubt that prop plane was even pressurized, and there sure as heck wasn't a meaningful pressure difference after a few moments, and sure as heck wasn't when they were so close to the ground. Gah.
Well, I've just watched the episode again. That I bothered to do so is a positive sign.

As far as the above goes, we kinda have to take the pilot's word for it when he issues his mayday that the plane was indeed pressurized. We don't know that the plane was only in the air for a few moments, because we don't know how long Claire was hiding away (the passage of time is usually handled by cutting away to another scene, so in not doing that, it leads to the perhaps incorrect assumption that Claire immediately went from climbing into the plane to freeing everyone). I also don't feel like we get a good idea of how high up they were.

It does seem like Peter's in the soup right after getting Tracy's powers, so the one-power-at-a-time theory seems to stand. It's good that they show us how the power works now rather than engage in exposition.

And yes, Claire's annoying with her bratty, uninspired "I hate yous" and "you'll never get away with thisses" and the smothering from her two fathers and grandmother is annoying as well, like they can just ground her and she'll get over it all. And her power is totally selfish and reactive, adding little to the character. But Hiro acting like the absurd man-child protagonist from a Happy Madison movie still takes the prize for most irritating character by a mile. I honestly think the character became a lot less easy to relate to when he went from being the office drone escaping from a sea of cubicles to a rich, pampered heir to an empire who was just a tourist in a sea of cubicles.

I think some new characters would do the show good, but they need to be on the periphary, not shoved right into the spotlight like the anthrax twins were. Maybe even a new young character so that Claire isn't the baby anymore.

Not sure what to think about Sylar. I guess he'll want to track down his father. He's back in murder mode, and Peter won't be a match for him this time--in fact, we're kind of light on Heroes with effective offensive abilities, which is another reason to consider some new Heroes.

DonTadow

First Post
I liked the episode quite a bit. It looks promising for this story arc. I was disappointed that they are continuing with the drawing/painting as prognostication, though. I find that device causes problems in fiction in general, and it has really done so in Heroes. Not only that, but it has been overused in the show, too.

But as I said, looking good. I think they are doing a better job developing Sylar without trying to make him into a "good" guy. And Nathan as the baddie is a nice touch.

I hope that that power was nerfed as well. Notice the only things he drew pretty much came true within the next few minutes hours. If its like thta, I don't mind. I'd rather have predictions that are immediate than using them as setups for the plot.

Felon

First Post
I hope that that power was nerfed as well. Notice the only things he drew pretty much came true within the next few minutes hours. If its like thta, I don't mind. I'd rather have predictions that are immediate than using them as setups for the plot.
There's this weird desire on the part of the folks who make Heroes to telegraph coming events to the audience while keeping the characters themselves painfully oblivious. I mean, raise your hand if Noah's betrayal of Mohinder was an actual surprise, or if you weren't able to grock from Parkman's drawing that the ambush that Claire so ineptly failed to warn him about (ahem, telephone?) was seconds away from taking place. It's a rare thing for the characters and the audience to actually be in lockstep. The end result is making these characters look plenty dumb.

Remove ads