• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Heroes #7: Eris Quod Sum/Oct 2008

Ed_Laprade

Adventurer
I almost didn't watch this week due to ennui from last week, but managed to turn the TV on anyway. ;) Not bad. But you gotta wonder why anyone would work for Pa when your retirement plan is getting knocked off the moment he thinks you're no further use to him. (Loyalty? Never heard of it.)

And yeah, I figured out what parkman did. Mostly because of the cheesy SFX. "Boy, did that look fake. Oh wait, I bet it was!"

Steel_Wind

Legend
Also, i am betting now the powers come back. The father used the dream thing in previous episodes, ma petrelli's power, how else can he get in her dreams. He also used Mort's power to convey messages to him.

Speaking of pa, doesn't seem to have the hunger or utilize any of the other powers (time travel). I wonder did he just get peter's main power and his active one (the fire)

We have seen Pa Petrelli use Telekenisis, super healing (from Adam Monroe/Kensai) and electricity. Yes, he really does take them. No, I don't think they come back on their own. He really does think they are gone forver.

Sylar's power is not simply one that can be absorbed all on its own and simply work. It needs to be consciously activated.

(And Pa Patrelli may yet get it. If I was Sylar, I might be tempted to have Dad activate it on the sly. It is the surest way of ensuring that Arthur Patrelli's wonder army is thwarted. The ones who Arthur Petrelli does not eat will rebel and never trust him again. Once your boss has you on the menu list and a madness which ensures he is never sated, trust of any sort can never be present.)

How Peter gets his power back has already been explained and foreshadowed for us. Suresh is working on the formula and speaks of Peter's inherent "natural predisposition" for the power. Therein lies the key to Peter's power absorpotion revival. It will give him back the precise power he is prediposed to have. After that, it's just a matter of a visit to see Dad (or his old or alt-future self via Hiro) and he's more uber Peter than ever.

As for who gives him that injection of uberness: Sylar, Suresh, Nathan, Claire, Parkman or (my personal bet - Hiro) it will play out over the next few episodes.

I was disappinted that Ando didn't eat the Kool-Aid. His one chance to experience a power - and he chickend out. Hyena poop or not - I think I would go for a nibble of that one.

Last edited:

Relique du Madde

Adventurer
A lot of things could be said about this episode... first:

It looks like the producers want me to start up my Heroes Death Pool... :D

Now with the stupid:
1) Mohinder really needs to suck on a .44 magnum straw. I know he's a geneticist but appearantly he doesn't know what 1 + 1 equals.
2) My father mind raped me. He mind raped the 11 year old girl I adopted. He died and now I want revenge. WTF?!?!
3) The airplane scene.

And now we come to the shark tank!
1) Lyle did something and said something.
2) Mr. Muggles was AWOL.
3) Matt used his intelligence.
4) Lyle has more screen time then Mr. Turtle and Mr. Muggles.
5) An innocent old lady died without A) Revealing she had powers. B) Having died from the direct use of a power (the cart killed her not the electricity). C) She wasn't a victim of Sylar, the BBEG, or Noah Bennett or D) The Not-so-Amazing Cockroach Suresh.
6) Maya is flying home with an American Passport (when did she become a citizen?).
7) One week in Africa = 3 days in America.
8) Hiro was not a bumbling fool or a comedic releaf character today.
9) THE NEXT EPISODE IS A "TIME TRAVEL INTO THE PAST" TYPE OF EPISODE AND IT HAPPENED WITHIN 4 EPISODES AFTER THE "TIME TRAVEL INTO THE FUTURE" EPISODE. WTF?!?!

Last edited:

Banshee16

First Post
Also, i am betting now the powers come back. The father used the dream thing in previous episodes, ma petrelli's power, how else can he get in her dreams. He also used Mort's power to convey messages to him.

Speaking of pa, doesn't seem to have the hunger or utilize any of the other powers (time travel). I wonder did he just get peter's main power and his active one (the fire)

That's an interesting thought.....Petrelli did use his ex wife's power, didn't he? Aside from what he tells everyone, what evidence do we have that he drains powers permanently? Maybe it wears off? Really, for him to have killed Adam Monroe, all he had to do was get rid of his powers temporarily....leading to aging, now Adam's dead, even if his powers would have reappeared a few days later. Can't regenerate from dust..

Personally, I like Peter...I'd rather not see his character being without powers forever. Or maybe, all the needle will do is restore his power to him...but now he's got to absorb things from scratch all over again.

Banshee

Hand of Evil

Hero
Epic
Going to give this one a 7/10 while it did not really grab me, it did entertain me.

Peter and Sylar, good character interaction and along character lines. If Pete does not come back Sylar goes over to Pa Petrelli.

Pluses for the show...Matt getting it...Kristen Bell (did we see some sister connection there)...Lyle using a bucket of water aka Wonder Twins!

Chuck is ruling Monday nights!

Last edited:

LightPhoenix

First Post
I pretty much agree with everyone here.

Lyle got the best bit of the episode though. In my mind, Lyle was thinking, "Eh, screw this," and lazily got a pail and water and took his time filling it up, strolled over to Elle and threw it on her, all the time thinking, "You people are morons."

I don't get the father angst, but I do like that Matt got to use his powers and at least plan to fight back. I'm wondering if Daphne is planning a triple-cross now, and is actually working with Parkman. You would think he'd check her allegiance. I'm also wondering if Daphne is the one that suggested the plan to Matt.

I'm not terribly cool with the whole "redemption of Sylar" plot. However, if there is one thing I did think it was effective, it was his surprise that Peter came back for him. That's so terribly in character for Peter, even without powers, and if there's anything I think would make Sylar become good, it's that. I think that's Peter's real "power" in the series, is to act as the beacon of hope.

Second best moment of the episode: Tracy making sure she has the dynamic between Noah, Meredith, and Nathan straight. Also, anything Nathan did in that scene. Hilarious.

Suresh, eh, though I liked how his story was woven through the others rather than standing alone.

Mark

CreativeMountainGames.com
See? If a turtle is on his back, he almost dies. Wait. I think that was Lyle. ;)

Are we up to six blondes now? :D

I'm liking this direction. The internal logic of the show is starting to make more sense, the hereditary versus manufactured powers split.

Felon

First Post
Wow. Lyle really has a big fan club here at ENWorld.

Decent episode. It set the stage for a confrontation between the heroes and villains. Not looking forward to Hiro and his flashbacks.

Hand of Evil

Hero
Epic
See? If a turtle is on his back, he almost dies. Wait. I think that was Lyle. ;)

Are we up to six blondes now? :D

I'm liking this direction. The internal logic of the show is starting to make more sense, the hereditary versus manufactured powers split.

Let see If person born with power is called X and a person is given a power is Y, then you could get XX, XY, YY, or YX, so the question now coes down to who falls into which group.

XX - Rare power by birth - Peter, Sylar
XY - Normal Power by birth - Adam, Matt, Heiro, Pa Petrelli, Matt's father
YX - Artifical power at birth (normal) - Nathan, Tracy
YX - Artifical power at birth (defective) - Claire, Elle

Relique du Madde

Adventurer
Wow. Lyle really has a big fan club here at ENWorld.

Decent episode. It set the stage for a confrontation between the heroes and villains. Not looking forward to Hiro and his flashbacks.

That's because he is the only surviving minor character on the show with the power of common sense. Also, she's a true evil genius and bad ass. If you pay attention to all the clues, you might even see that he might be force to be reckoned with.

• Snorefest twins show up on and the second season tanks. Where is Lyle? His actor calls in sick and gets himself taken off the call sheet.
  • His family moves to California and decides to ignore him. So what does Lyle do? He call's Sylar and tells him that the family moved to California (since he hopes that Sylar would kill Claire to steal her power).
  • Sylar comes over to the house when Claire is alone. Where is Lyle? He's at school (since he's the only member of the Bennett family that actually goes to school).
  • Claire starts acting like a Psycho bad ass, so what does Lyle do? He places a dossier of a guy that makes black holes on top of the stack of files that Noah left on the table knowing that if Claire looked through it she will try to impress Noah (since she is prone to having "daddy" issues) and will end up getting herself killed.
  • Claire's real mom moves into his house and Claire once again is the center of everyone's world, so what does Lyle do? He calls the Puppet Master (off screen) and convinces him him to set up shop in his old puppet theater EVEN THOUGH the Company knows where it's located and has it surveyed. He then places the Puppet Master's dossier on the top of the stack so that Claire's mom (and eventually Claire) would see it and decide to head out to there (and maybe get themselves killed or raped). Then when everyone goes missing he leaves a cryptic message on the Primatech's answering machine asking if they made paper-bag puppets.
  • Elle comes over and Lyle tries to seduce her (because she obviously needs to "relax") only to get knocked out when she looses control of her power. Claire arrives and starts a cat-fight with Elle . What does Lyle do? He steals the scene while trying to set up a wet tee-shirt contest between Claire and Elle and inadvertently electrocutes Elle.

Last edited:

Remove ads