• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Heroes of Neverwinter as 5e Preview?

ashockney

First Post
Healing is now the adventure? I don't understand what you mean by that.

Greetings Johnny3D3D! Thanks for joining in, and I appreciate your sentiments. I think it's clear that there good aspects here, but this wouldn't be the game for everyone.

The comment "healing is now the adventure" goes like this.

You will take between two and six hits per encounter in a 4 encounter adventure, depending upon your tactics. Your healing will reduce/eliminate the equivalent of 2 hits/encounter. Your party has hit points to withstand 12 hits total. If you play well tactically, and don't botch your rolls, you'll be able to "heal" 2 hits/encounter which should keep you at or near "max hp" and there will be nobody in particular to "pick on". If you have a bad room/encounter, and get caught in the wrong place tactically, or with some bad rolls, you'll take five or six hits in an encounter, and move the the next, down three or four hits as a party. Your opponents CAN and WILL pick on those PC's in an effort to eliminate them.

ashockney

First Post
Heh.

What's interesting is that once you implement a house rule like this, you're left with feats that only do a few things.

Personally, I'd be ok with everything but #1 going. The rest could be tucked into other things (like racial power modifiers being gained as you level).

Rechan! It is good to hear from you, and thanks for your thoughts here

I completely agree that a "simpler" version of the game which reduces feats usefulness helps to illustrate that they may not be needed. This inhereent bonus thought illustrates that point.

You could live without everything except stand alone abilities going away. I think these could easily be worked into racial and class options. It appears more of that is "baked in" to HoN based upon your simple race/class choice combination at the beginning.

Rechan

Adventurer
You could live without everything except stand alone abilities going away. I think these could easily be worked into racial and class options. It appears more of that is "baked in" to HoN based upon your simple race/class choice combination at the beginning.
See the one thing I like about feats is that anyone can take them. They do allow some level of customization - if you really wanted your wizard in platemail you could take the feats to do so. Or if you just want your fighter to know rituals, you can.

Attacing them to race/class means that "Well if you're not playing this race/class you can't do it".

ashockney

First Post
Great point, Rechan. The "pre-built" customization of HoN and a simple game app this may make sense, but for a tabletop rpg, you may want to have a more "open" class/level build system that allows for more flexibility in character design.

Argyle King

Legend
Greetings Johnny3D3D! Thanks for joining in, and I appreciate your sentiments. I think it's clear that there good aspects here, but this wouldn't be the game for everyone.

The comment "healing is now the adventure" goes like this.

You will take between two and six hits per encounter in a 4 encounter adventure, depending upon your tactics. Your healing will reduce/eliminate the equivalent of 2 hits/encounter. Your party has hit points to withstand 12 hits total. If you play well tactically, and don't botch your rolls, you'll be able to "heal" 2 hits/encounter which should keep you at or near "max hp" and there will be nobody in particular to "pick on". If you have a bad room/encounter, and get caught in the wrong place tactically, or with some bad rolls, you'll take five or six hits in an encounter, and move the the next, down three or four hits as a party. Your opponents CAN and WILL pick on those PC's in an effort to eliminate them.

So, somewhat like a skill challenge?

Instead of X successes before Y failure, X encounters before Y hits to survive the adventure?

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads