Heroes of the Elemental Chaos Excerpts

Rechan

Adventurer
I'm really eager to find out about the class mechanics. I don't know anything about sha'irs.

Likely the sorcerer will just be like the slayer and hexblade (static damage increases per attack), but with single and some area target spells.

And the monk build will just be a monk build with elemental damage keywords.

Dice4Hire

First Post
I hated Heroes of Shadow (Evil is not my thing) and was almost ready to buy the Heroes of the Feywild (but decided it did not have enough for me) but this book looks like a must-buy.

Incenjucar

Legend
Really would be nice to get more info.

Still, now you can take Janissary and Malec-Keth Janissary so you can Janissary while you Janissary.

the Jester

Legend
Oooooh!

the Themes Excerpt said:
Even the most ordinary genie—whether dao, djinn, efreet, or marid—fancies itself a great lord with a high and royal title. It regards the everyday business of administering its estates and overseeing its property to be a task utterly beneath its attention. Instead, these genie overlords leave most of their affairs in the hands of a select caste of trusted, loyal slaves known as janissaries.

Some janissaries are part of a genie's household staff and have little freedom to travel, but most large genie cities and realms are host to a whole class of janissaries who are considered slaves of the throne, rather than of a particular genie. Most such janissaries serve as elite soldiers, city officials, or highly valued artisans and engineers. They are allowed to own property, bear arms, travel, marry, and engage in whatever pursuits they like, although most are guards or bureaucrats in the ruler's service. Adventuring janissaries usually come from this group and are free to do as they please—until a high-ranking genie commands a service from them. It's not unusual for janissaries to venture into the mortal world on various errands, then stay on to seek their fortunes when their original mission is completed.

Although janissaries are often rich, comfortable, and entrusted with great authority, they are still subject to the whims of their genie masters. Goodnatured genies, such as djinns and marids, treat their janissaries well and bestow honors and offices on servants who show cleverness, reliability, and efficiency.

Daos and efreets, on the other hand, are cruel and overbearing, so they naturally value servants who use brutality and viciousness when attending to their duties. In most realms janissaries enjoy at least some legal protection against poor or capricious treatment, but in return they are expected to police themselves stringently and to comply with any order or request a genie gives them.

Here's hoping!

the Jester

Legend
Well, I completely approve of the reasoning- "discard stupid and meaningless symmetries"- but dao and marid are classics that really deserve a place in the game, with a lot of history and lore behind 'em. I don't see what was gained by putting crap like the kruthik in the Monster Manual and leaving dao and marid out.

Incenjucar

Legend
Discarding symmetries is fine if they're a detriment to the material. Kind of silly otherwise. Especially since marids are an actual thing in mythology.

Marshall

First Post
I sympathized with the vocal population then, having come from an edition where the rules and the fluff did not easily divorce, but given my experience with 4e I'm now convinced this edition is immune to the 'fluff burden'.

Reskinning, reimagining, the separation of rules and world, the 4e DM is pretty open to do what he or she wants and is given clear guides on how to do it. That said, a suggested stories like what's going into the 'Heroes' books make for great models, ones we aren't necessarily beholden to in the same way we were in the past. At least I think.

O4e was immune, unfortunately essentials doesnt have the strong mechanical foundation to support it. Thats not totally true, these Devs dont have the capacity to write decent mechanics to go with the fluff.
Take the Janissary in the themes preview. Insignificant bonuses combined with rare conditions makes the 5/10's near useless and the encounter power just doesnt work as written. Great fluff, junk rules and that scares the piss outta me for 5e.

Remove ads