• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Heroes of the Feywild Speculation

Saracenus

Always In School Gamer
I bet Gnomes are in, but I will bet there will be new races that are Fey based like Dryads for instance.

Yeah, new Warpriest domain, Fey pact stuff, at least one new season for Sentinels. I will bet the emphasis will be a combo of arcane and primal.

My two coppers,

Of course there is going to be plenty of Arcane stuff in here, are you kidding Aegeri? lol.

Furthermore it is irrelevant which keywords have been applied to what things in the past. Just because classes that happen to be 'arcane' have plenty of support doesn't mean that good solid concepts that are thematic don't deserve to be present. It would be stupid of WotC to say "Oh, we're making a Feywild book, but all we can support are Runepriest and Seeker because we have to fill out some checkbox for them." I'm 100% certain that Mike Mearls could care less about anyone's checkboxes.

I won't even speculate on what will be in the book, other people already have and honestly all I care is that it is cool and useful. However, it is pretty easy to imagine that magic, and thus arcane, is going to be a significant factor. Druids seem thematic, and the Feypack Warlock is a gimme.

I'd think maybe they'll also revisit the whole 'feytouched' concept that was touched on several times in Dragon articles and such. So maybe a race/theme based on that, or at least some kind of add-on. I think a feytouched theme would be the best.

Anyway, you're setting yourself up for disappointment Aegeri, and there's no reason for it. A good solid new thematic mage school is just as good as anything else. Maybe Seeker was just a crappy idea to start with (or crappy execution). Maybe it really just doesn't deserve support. So what? Not every little bit added to the game has to be elaborated on, some things are experiments that are better moved on from.

I could almost see some way to work in some Runepriest action though. Cyclopses seem a lot like the guys that would know some fun runes... OTOH I don't think it will happen, it is just too fiddly a class.

Wednesday Boy

The Nerd WhoFell to Earth
I think in a preview interview they mention there being a new class that would start in one role and part of the way through the encounter would change to a different role.

I could also see potential for a new swordmage build.

Aegeri

First Post
AbdulAlhazred said:
A good solid new thematic mage school is just as good as anything else.
I for one am sick of paying for the same stuff every book. I don't mind when it's for classes that actually need it, but when it comes to the mage and fighter I've really seen enough of them. If they do another HoS with nothing but mage builds, maybe a hexblade (honestly, we don't need more Fey warlocks either) and similar I won't be allowing the book in my games. That will be the end of future PC options from that point being allowed in my campaigns as well - I'll simply give up on them once and for all. Gloomwrought convinced me that the DM supplements have merit and are worth persisting with however - so assuming they do a Feywild equivalent that's a must buy.

I am fully expecting to be disappointed by the book because I know it will probably have more bloody mage builds. It will probably resell me ANOTHER fey-something warlock or hexblade. It might - if I'm lucky - have the other two sentinel druid seasons (which I would love to see) but might not. It might have some new class that ends up being a railroad instead of a genuine new class. That will probably be it with the same things that desperately need support and have been ignored for years, continuing to be ignored.

In the end I will be pleasantly surprised if it isn't what I am expecting. But it will probably be exactly what I'm expecting and be extremely disappointing for that.

I hope it is exactly what you hate to see. But it is easy for me, as I:

- didn´t buy original books but have all of the essential ones
- believe, we should get support through DDI for those old classes
- I don´t really believe, player stuff on paper is actually useful, especially when I don´t get a german book, so all of my players can actually read it...

Actually, I would not mind, if the transmuter and the conjurer are another article in DDI. It just does not matter for me...

DM stuff like Gloomwrought on the other hand is useful on Paper, as I like to prepare, when I am not at the laptop...

ok so I think the were wolf class has been debunked...so I am at a loss as to what will be here...

I think the giant slayer as a subclass of eaither ranger or barbarian...

I would really like some suprise like a battlemind or ardent build

I for one am sick of paying for the same stuff every book. I don't mind when it's for classes that actually need it, but when it comes to the mage and fighter I've really seen enough of them. If they do another HoS with nothing but mage builds, maybe a hexblade (honestly, we don't need more Fey warlocks either) and similar I won't be allowing the book in my games. That will be the end of future PC options from that point being allowed in my campaigns as well - I'll simply give up on them once and for all. Gloomwrought convinced me that the DM supplements have merit and are worth persisting with however - so assuming they do a Feywild equivalent that's a must buy.

I am fully expecting to be disappointed by the book because I know it will probably have more bloody mage builds. It will probably resell me ANOTHER fey-something warlock or hexblade. It might - if I'm lucky - have the other two sentinel druid seasons (which I would love to see) but might not. It might have some new class that ends up being a railroad instead of a genuine new class. That will probably be it with the same things that desperately need support and have been ignored for years, continuing to be ignored.

In the end I will be pleasantly surprised if it isn't what I am expecting. But it will probably be exactly what I'm expecting and be extremely disappointing for that.

Yeah, I just don't see it that way. I mean why would you NOT put Feywild themed things like a feypact hexblade into a book themed around the feywild, wouldn't that be kind of dumb? I mean what the heck would you put in this book?

Options are needed where they are needed. OK, wizard can live without a heap of new options, but it isn't about 'wizard' it is about "can I build this character concept?" If the answer is 'no' (and that seems to be the case for building a transmuter) then there's an opportunity for the rules to be extended to provide something new and useful. I don't care if wizard has 22 other builds, it is missing one that I want (well hypothetically at least).

I agree, the other two seasons of Sentinel would be great. I'd give that higher want factor for me. Feypack hexblade (and Binder too if they can really make it unique enough) sound like cool options. I'd hope to see some sort of swordmage support too, the Assault and Ensnaring builds really could use some help (though I can't really see exactly how to help AoE swordmages, the class feature itself is the problem there).

And honestly, beyond that I'm not real sure what exactly you WOULD put in that book class-wise. Some scout options maybe? I suppose Shaman stuff maybe. My feeling is though they aren't going to do anything more with the other primal classes. Maybe there will be a barbarian build for the fighter, though it doesn't seem particularly 'fey' to me. Maybe a refresh of some of the fey related races could happen, or a new race or race option like 'feytouched' or something. I just suspect there really isn't enough other compelling stuff without any arcane options.

I mean maybe other people have more ideas, but I'm really just not finding much reason for a wizard option or two NOT to be in there, plus warlock stuff.

Flobby

Explorer
I'd bet money on new druid and Warlock builds--or at least more powers for the feywild Warlock--and for new cleric and wizard powers.

I can also see a Seaker-like build for the ranger, and maybe a bard.

I bet they'll save a new sorcerer for the Heroes of Elemental Chaos :)

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads