D&D (2024) Heroic Inspiration and Humans

GMMichael

Guide of Modos
remove the trait, or the halflings, take your pick.
I'll go with halflings. But only if they're bards.

There is nothing wrong with house ruling. So there's no reason to be at all upset about a rule you don't like in the game that you have to remove.

I already know several house rules I'm going to be incorporating into my 5E24 game. And that's completely okay.
Seconded. I had to remove so many rules from 3e that I just made a whole new game.

That being said, @Belen might like to try my Hero Points instead:
  • PCs get one per character level after a long rest, capped by character level.
  • The benefit is a +d6 to the following check.
  • The DM can award another for any reason, but hindering oneself and the Rule of Cool usually are worth one.
  • In Modos RPG, a Hero Point also activates something cool about the character. I have a PC who experiences a supernatural vision when he uses hero points, and another whose experience in demonic realms provides various planes-related benefits when she uses them. The d6 is hardly unbalancing, and the PCs feel a jolt of coolness when they do something unique and\or heroic.

Stalker0

Legend
One idea you could use that they played around with in the playtest. Instead of giving out inspiration yourself, change it so that a character that rolls a nat 1 (after any rerolls or anything) gains inspiration.

That way you don't have to keep it, the players will naturally want to remember that so they get the bonus.

mellored

Legend
Fighters or Champions (dont remember if it was class or sub-class specific) gain Heroic Inspiration every Round on hight level.
Just champions.

Which makes human champions with DMs that like to give it out...

Well I guess "too many rerolls" is just a problem they will have to deal with

DrJawaPhD

Adventurer
Honestly, I can’t imagine it would be overly time consuming to reroll a die. The initial roll might take a bit, since you need to locate the correct die and determine what modifier to add to the roll. But to then reroll it? The die is already in your hand and you already know the modifier. So it’s as simple as physically picking it up, giving it a quick shake, and dropping it. That takes what, less than 5 seconds?
Yeah it really doesn't add any time as long as the player rolls the die and then decides to reroll it before telling the DM what they rolled.

What slows the game down is things like Silvery Barbs where you react to someone else's roll that they've announced and the DM has already started narrating the result, which then you have to retcon and start over. That's so frustrating but Heroic Inspiration looks fine as is

Horwath

Legend
I replace the players who can't do re-rolls quickly instead. So I can keep all the mechanics and still not slow the game down, LOL.

I find it's the players that are the leading cause of slow gameplay, so if I need a faster game I just cultivate a table that doesn't include any of them. ;)
no matter how fast or slow any player is, adding +/- 5 after the roll is ALWAYS faster than picking up the dice again, rolling it and adding results again.

silvery barbs spell would be much more disruptive if it just reduced result by 5 when used instead of reroll.

DEFCON 1

Legend
Supporter
no matter how fast or slow any player is, adding +/- 5 after the roll is ALWAYS faster than picking up the dice again, rolling it and adding results again.

silvery barbs spell would be much more disruptive if it just reduced result by 5 when used instead of reroll.
I always invite ambidexterous players to my table. That way they have the second die for the re-roll already set up in their off-hand ready to drop. That extra 7/10ths of a second are a godsend to keep the game moving!

Remove ads