Heroscape is back?! Update: the fund failed.

Zaukrie

New Publisher
It was just too much money for unpainted plastic.

If the gameplay was really good, it would make a good video game, I'd think. But I think most people wanted/used this for having physical minis and terrain they could use for HS and other games. I know I did back in the day.

jolt

Adventurer
Disappointing, but not surprising in any way. Like I said before, you can't expect a $250 buy-in to succeed. The problem isn't that they wanted 2 million, the problem is how they expected to get it. Heroquest made almost twice that amount of money because the price point was so much lower. The value of 'X' product is completely irrelevant if you can't afford 'X'. In crowdfunded game projects, large chunks of money come from things like retailer pledge levels and people who can afford to pledge at 'all-in' levels, but any project that expects everybody to pledge 'all-in' is never going to succeed. Thinking that everybody can afford a $250 pledge was ridiculous from the get-go.

JEB

Legend
I have a suspicion that Heroscape was a harder sell to Hasbro/Avalon Hill management than Heroquest, hence the significantly higher requirements to justify its existence.

I wonder how well some kind of Heroscape retroclone would do on Kickstarter? The patent for Heroscape will expire in 2024...

Remove ads