Heward's Handy Haversack

trentonjoe

Explorer
In the description of my Heward's Handy Haversack, it says retrieving any item is only a standard action (or maybe a move equivalent). This implies getting something out of a normal backpack requires longer time, although "retrieving an item" as per the PHB requires only a standard action.

My thinking is this--retrieving an item from a belt pouch is a
move equivalent action, but getting something from your backpack is a full
round action. Thoughts??

dvvega

Explorer
Yes it is now a free action. Getting something out of your backpack is a standard action, out of a bag of holding is full-round since you have to rumage around for it.

Geoff Watson

First Post
It says it takes the normal time, to show the difference between it and the bag of holding, which takes a full-round action to get stuff out of.

Geoff.

kreynolds

First Post
Rashak Mani said:
To take something from a normal bag of holding is a move equivalent action therefore yes ?

From the SRD: Retrieving a specific item from a bag of holding is a move­equivalent action unless the bag contains more than an ordinary backpack would hold, in which case retrieving a specific item is a full-round action.

So, if your bag of holding contains more than a normal backpack can hold, retrieving an item is a full-round action. Otherwise, it is a move-equivalent action.

Sorry. I messed up on my previous post so I edited it.

Archer

First Post
Retrieve a stored item is a ME action (PHB 128).

The haversack is a free action as clearly stated in the second printing DMG. (because it is so handy)

Bag of holding is also clearly a full round action (as it is more difficult to remove items from it than a normal sack because of the dimensional space and all.)

Potion belts are a free action (just for comparison purposes.)

kreynolds

First Post
Archer said:
Bag of holding is also clearly a full round action (as it is more difficult to remove items from it than a normal sack because of the dimensional space and all.)

Only if the Bag of Holding contains more than a normal backpack. See my previous post.

Remove ads