Hex Map of Kalimdor from Warcraft

Lord Zack

Explorer
I am presently working on a map of Kalimdor for a campaign I want to run set in the Warcraft Universe. It's a very large map, meant to be of a "realistic" scale. It's 3x4 sheets, each with 25x30 hexes, with each hex being 30 miles. Some things will be proportionately smaller than they are in Wow, others will in fact be larger. For instance Stonetalon peaks will be much smaller in comparison to the Barrens than it is in WoW. Sithilus will only be a hundred or so square miles and Un'goro Crater will fit into a single hex, but Tanaris dominates most of the southeast portion of the map.

However I have run into some problems. For instance, if I put Dustwallow Marsh where it seems it should go, it would take a couple of weeks to get from they're to Durotar. Also to connect Feralas, the Barrens and Tanaris like the Thousand Needles do that region would have to be hundreds of miles long, more than a thousand in fact, and hundreds of miles wide. I am considering expanding those three regions to rectify this somewhat, but it would still end up being much larger then I think it should be.

There are also questions that aren't actually problems, like what to put in all the empty space. I deliberately left some areas blank, so I could fill them with whatever I felt should go there. So for instance I have to decide what goes in the northeast area of Kalimdor, since Winterspring takes up only a relatively small area near Mt. Hyjal. I'm thinking an area similar to the Borean Tundra in Northrend, since to two areas were once connected.

For the NE don't forget that Ashzara could take up quite a bit of space. It is a rather large zone to have so little going on there in the game.

weem

First Post
I am presently working on a map of Kalimdor for a campaign I want to run set in the Warcraft Universe. It's a very large map, meant to be of a "realistic" scale. It's 3x4 sheets, each with 25x30 hexes, with each hex being 30 miles.

You drawing this out on paper it seems?

You might check out Hexographer to help lay things out (if you haven't already)...

Asmor

First Post
After further research, I retract my criticisms. It seems the licensing situation is a lot better now.

[sblock]
Was going to advise against Hexographer due to its draconian and ill-thought out DRM, but apparently it's been improved...

A little.

Still not anything I'd be willing to purchase, but it's not completely anathema to my sensibilities anymore.[/sblock]

Last edited:

Saeviomagy

Adventurer
There are also questions that aren't actually problems, like what to put in all the empty space.

Monsters with a lower population density than 1/10m^2 comes to mind...

Simply put, Wow has crazy population density for monsters and incredibly low population density for friendly settlements. Durotar for instance would need a hell of a lot more that 2 pig farms to sustain it, assuming that it had any sort of sane population density within the city. At the same time, the number of cultist-infested caves and the number of cultists in those caves can stay as it is.

Theramore needs to have more than 3 ships travelling to it and more than 50 soldiers staying in it. That probably means that substantial fortifications at the great lift and crossroads will greatly increase their size, plus add more farmland.

and so on.

Anton85

First Post
Monsters with a lower population density than 1/10m^2 comes to mind...

Simply put, Wow has crazy population density for monsters and incredibly low population density for friendly settlements. Durotar for instance would need a hell of a lot more that 2 pig farms to sustain it, assuming that it had any sort of sane population density within the city. At the same time, the number of cultist-infested caves and the number of cultists in those caves can stay as it is.

Theramore needs to have more than 3 ships travelling to it and more than 50 soldiers staying in it. That probably means that substantial fortifications at the great lift and crossroads will greatly increase their size, plus add more farmland.

and so on.

Agreed, Leave the number of threats at about the same as it is now. Add more friendlies and generally try to bring the demographics into some semblance of reality.

Remove ads