• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Hexblades - Where is the love?

Particle_Man

Explorer
Hexblades are introduced in Complete Warrior.

Some extra spells are added to their spell lists in Complete Arcane and Complete Adventurer.

Some feats are added to their reperetoire in Dragon 339 (I think, I don't have this one).

PHB II gives them an alternative to their familiar.

Is there any other book or magazine that mentions the Hexblade?

Nonlethal Force

First Post
Same thing could be said of the Shugenja, Spirit Shaman, Wu Jen, War Mage (sort-of), etc.

That is my one complaint with the way WotC is rolling out the new classes. I love the classes, but I would appreciate if in the spell list category that the next book in the Complete series took into account all the rest of the spells/classes in the complete series. Thus, with each new book the Complete base classes would have their lists updated and the new spells would be distributed to all core+complete base classes.

I know that they cannot keep all their suppliments in this fashion - like the Races Books or their Terrain books - but at least keeping the Complete books on top of the Complete base class spell lists would be a help.

I just recently created a Word document that lists every spell in all the 3.5 (+MotP) books I own in the right class.* The Complete base classes are dwarfed by the Cleric (and favored soul, I admit) and the Wizard/Sorcerer(and Spellthief, again) list. I used size 8 font, split the page into three columns. [Cause Mordenkainen's Magnificent Mansion won't fit if I divided the page into four columns] The wizard et al. spell list is still almost 4 pages long. Compare that to the poor Wu Jen, whose spell list is hardly longer than the druid's list.

*Books catalogued are Core, CW, CD, CArc, CAdv, Draconomicon, MotP, XPH, BoED, and PHB II.

thosfsull

First Post

Particle_Man

Explorer
I hadn't checked out Magic of Incarnum. How many spells? Do they have a "Hexblade Spell Box" like they do with Complete Arcane and Complete Adventurer?

Felon

First Post
Particle_Man said:
Hexblades are introduced in Complete Warrior.

Some extra spells are added to their spell lists in Complete Arcane and Complete Adventurer.

Some feats are added to their reperetoire in Dragon 339 (I think, I don't have this one).

PHB II gives them an alternative to their familiar.

Sounds like plenty of love to me.

Classes are largely self-contained affairs. If they weren't, there'd be complaints about having to own a dozen different books to play one.

Artoomis

First Post
Perhaps this is yet another reason to not expand the list of classes but keep that simple and add prestige classes only?

Of course, that ship has sailed...

Particle_Man

Explorer
Felon said:
Sounds like plenty of love to me.

Classes are largely self-contained affairs. If they weren't, there'd be complaints about having to own a dozen different books to play one.

If that is true, then why the ever-expanding spell lists, class variant option lists, class-feature based feat lists, etc., for the cleric, druid, et al.?

I would say that a Hexblade could be run out of CW + Core just as a Cleric could be run out of Core, yet both benefit from other books that add some options (not necessities, merely options).

I was curious about the Magic of Incarnum spells for the Hexblade. Are they pretty much "essentia based", so that one would first need some Incarnum feat to access their use?

thosfsull

First Post
Page 97 of Magic of Incarnum, in the way upper left hand corner (it is a right sided page) has five NEW spells for the Hexblade.

Any spell with an "E" denotes a spell in which the caster can invest Essentia. Any spell with an "I" denotes a spell with the Incarnum descriptor, which means only characters with the Incarnum Shapeshifting feat on page 38 can cast them.

Three 2nd level spells:

Divest Essentia: Target's Essentia becomes univested.

Soul Blight: Deal 1d4+1 per three levels essentia damage to a foe.

Supress Magic:Magic Item or Soulmeld is suppressed for one round/level. "E"

Two 3rd level spells

Rend Essentia: Deal Charisma damage or Essentia damage to foe; Gain Essentia."I"

Unbind Chakra:Sever one Chakra bind per four caster levels; deal 1d6 + 1d6/Essentia damage per bind severed."E"

thosfsull

First Post
Particle_Man said:
I hadn't checked out Magic of Incarnum. How many spells? Do they have a "Hexblade Spell Box" like they do with Complete Arcane and Complete Adventurer?

No Spell Box, identical to Cleric, Ranger, etc... formats in the book. So we got EQUAL Time for this book.

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads