D&D 5E Hexcrawls/wilderness adventures

Libramarian

Adventurer
The 1e wilderness survival guide is such a crazy book :heh:

This is what I'll use as the basis for visibility:

Visibility is 2 miles for lowland terrain, 10 miles for sites/treetops, 20 miles for hills, 30 miles for mountains and 40 miles for snowcapped mountains. This is the distance one can see looking out from on top of this terrain, or see this terrain from elsewhere. Terrain of greater visibility blocks the view of terrain of lesser visibility. Sites can be seen from a maximum of 10 miles away, or up to 20 miles with a Perception check. (Basically when comparing terrain to terrain, take the greater value. When looking at a Site, take the lesser value. Sites might require a Perception check in forested terrain, or might be invisible from >1 mile away if they're beneath the canopy).

I like the rules for weather in the DMG: simple but effective. I made a couple tweaks:

Temperature
1: d6 degrees colder than normal, and reduce normal temperature 1°C
2-5: Normal temperature (10°C at game start)
6: d6 degrees warmer than normal

Wind
d6
1-4: Clear
5: Light wind
6: Heavy wind

Rain (snow when <0°C)
d6
1-4: Clear
5: Light rain
6: Heavy rain

Cold: When temperature is below 0°C, DC10 Con check each hour for Exhaustion unless wearing winter clothing or near a campfire.
Campfire: Doubles encounter check frequency when not moving.
Wind: Treat effective temperature as 5° colder in the rain.
Rain: Reduces visibility by half.
Heavy wind: Disadvantage to ranged attacks and Perception checks that rely on hearing. Prevents the party from taking a short rest in clear terrain.
Heavy rain: Light obscurement (visibility <1 mile). Disadvantage to Perception checks that rely on hearing. Extinguishes campfires. Clothes become waterlogged and no longer function as winter clothing until dried out. Heavy snow creates difficult terrain.

Libramarian

Adventurer
Regarding encounter distance...I can't find this anywhere in the rulebooks. I've heard that it's on the DM Screen? Does anyone have access to that?

Considering how simple and punchy the rest of the rules for travel and exploration are, I can't imagine it has the traditional slightly different distance for each terrain type, but I could be wrong.

Ovinomancer

No flips for you!
Regarding encounter distance...I can't find this anywhere in the rulebooks. I've heard that it's on the DM Screen? Does anyone have access to that?

Considering how simple and punchy the rest of the rules for travel and exploration are, I can't imagine it has the traditional slightly different distance for each terrain type, but I could be wrong.

5e doesn't have a table for encounter distance. Someone posted the 3.x encounter distance charts last page somewhere, and there's no reason not to use those.

AaronOfBarbaria

Adventurer
From the 5th edition DM's Screen:

Encounter Distance, by terrain
Arctic, desert, farmland or grassland 6d6 x10 feet
Forest, swamp, or woodland 2d8 x10 feet
Hills or wastelands 2d10 x10 feet
Jungle 2d6 x10 feet
Mountains 4d10 x10 feet

It also has "audible distance" and 'visibility outdoors"

feartheminotaur

First Post
I made one for F/C conversions out of the DMG. Because some of us operate in the Dark Ages regarding metric/SI units.

Roll 1d6 for Temperature Variance

1-4 Normal (50 F/10C)
5. 1d4x10 degrees F colder (1d8+1d10+4 degrees C)
6. 1d4x10 degrees F warmer (1d8+1d10+4 degrees C)

Ancalagon

Dusty Dragon
"6d6 x10 feet"

so... 60 to 360 feet, average 180 feet, ie about 2/3 of a football field. On flat open terrain?!? Isn't this very short?

AaronOfBarbaria

Adventurer
"6d6 x10 feet"

so... 60 to 360 feet, average 180 feet, ie about 2/3 of a football field. On flat open terrain?!? Isn't this very short?
Not if you consider it to be the "we've actually rolled initiative because we are sure this is an 'encounter', not just a 'saw some stuff in the distance that had nothing to do with me'" distance instead of the distance at which your eyes first realize that's a [whatever it is] over there.

Ancalagon

Dusty Dragon
Not if you consider it to be the "we've actually rolled initiative because we are sure this is an 'encounter', not just a 'saw some stuff in the distance that had nothing to do with me'" distance instead of the distance at which your eyes first realize that's a [whatever it is] over there.

Is the longest range attack in 5e 180 feet? Because in some cases you can tell what they thing is, and you are going to start buffing in advance and then hit it at extreme range.

AaronOfBarbaria

Adventurer
Is the longest range attack in 5e 180 feet? Because in some cases you can tell what they thing is, and you are going to start buffing in advance and then hit it at extreme range.
If you know that you are going to start firing at extreme range, then it should be your extreme range that sets the distance - there's no reason to roll dice for encounter distance unless you haven't specifically decided it.

Remove ads