• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

High Law and Low Justice, Part 4

Wilphe

Adventurer
Maerdwyn

[sblock] Dorothy watches the broadcast impassively, a quiet smile of satisfaction spreading her lips, "Well so much for a quiet retirement." [/sblock]

Maerdwyn

First Post
Ktarle, Ruzz'koff, Tomas:

[Sblock]

Keyes says, "All right ladies and gentlemen, I don't know where this is going to go from here. I need to contact Command, and, apparently, IBC. I guarantee you this, though - Green is going to be pissed." He rises. "Feel free to kep watching the screen, but don't get too upset at what you hear. I get the feeling Command is going to what this spun in their own way. Anything you want me to pass along to them?" [/sblock]

Saanath
[sblock]
Green watches the vidscreen with pursed lips. Without looking at Saanath, she asks, "Where did that video come from? It certainly didn't get sent out from this ship...and Dvonn wasn't boradcasting anythng like that when you jumped in..."

ooc: it's been a while, so here's a refresher, if it's needed. [/sblock]

DrZombie

First Post
Maerdwyn said:
Ktarle, Ruzz'koff, Tomas:

[Sblock]

Keyes says, "All right ladies and gentlemen, I don't know where this is going to go from here. I need to contact Command, and, apparently, IBC. I guarantee you this, though - Green is going to be pissed." He rises. "Feel free to kep watching the screen, but don't get too upset at what you hear. I get the feeling Command is going to what this spun in their own way. Anything you want me to pass along to them?" [/sblock]

[sblock]
"Yes, tell them that we made this broadcast when we were attacked by Nell-C's hired killers. And tell them we didn't ask to be in this mess, but we'll see this through, how they want it, but that Nell-C will have to pay. Big time."
[/sblock]

Maerdwyn

First Post
Dorothy, Trel:

[sblock] As the video winds down and begins to loop, with only margianlly different commentay by the news presenters, A man in a business suit comes into the room. "Ladies and Gentlemen. My name is Richard Benecic - one of the Navy's Counsels-at-Large. I want to thank you a for your extremely helpful and informative statements. We are horrified at what has been done to you, but even more than that, we are enraged. You should know that we have two people we believe were involved with the conspiracy in custody already, and that the Scouts have already been sent to the Daramm and Tamadere systems carrying warans for the arrests of several other players. What we need from you, going forward, is your testimony. If you are wiling to testify against these muderers and saboteurs, the Navy is prepared to provide all of you with a very comfortable living situation, including a stipend to cover your expenses leading up to the trials. Ladies and gentlemen, the people who attacked you are among some of the most well-connected in the Domain. Your best chance at seeing justice done against them is to agree to testify against them in court. If you do not, they will likely be able to act again with impunity. The men are distributing the necessary forms among you now - I hope the Iperium can rely upon you to do the right thing."

Everyone receives yet another batch of forms, which includes a nondisclosure agreement which prohibits discussion of the case with anyone inclding the media and which is marked "mandatory". In fact the midshipman who delivers the packet to each person doesn't move onto the next person until the NDA is read and signed. The bulk of the packet outlines the Imperial Witness Protection Program, and this appreas to be voluntary. [/sblock]

Seonaid

Explorer
Ruzz'koff & Tomas:[sblock]Ktarle reaches for some more food and drink and settles back. "We should probably watch this." Her light tone is belied by her grim visage.[/sblock]

Wilphe

Adventurer
Maerdwyn, Trel
[sblock]Dororty makes her way over to Trel, "A word Trel, I want a detailed look at that NDA before I sign it, I suggest you might want to as well," she looks for a place where Arthur, herself and Trel can talk without being overheard by the rest of the rescued - not really giving a damn about anyone in the crew.
"It's probably my nasty suspicious mind, but if we sign up to this, then basically we are silenced no matter what the Imperials decide to do. If they go ahead and prosecute then all well and good, but if the Nells tie the case up or the Imperials sweep it under the carpet there is nothing we can do about. We'd be seperated, possibly under guard and under witness protection so we'd never be able to contact each other. I'm just saying it could well be legitimate, it could also be the first stage of a coverup - and I doubt that they've really decided either way yet. This will have to go right to the top."[/sblock]

(Sorry)

Last edited:

Maerdwyn

First Post
ooc: Wilphe, if you could close that spoiler tag, I'd appreciate it. :) doghead, I'm going to borrow Trel for a little while.

Saanath:[Sblock]ooc: your conversation continues for a while, and we can do that late, but I need to move the others along some. As you and Green wind down, the door to the chamber opens, and Captain Keyes stands there with a man in a business suit. "Now it's time to come with me, son. Green, I thought you would like to know that they are moving Force Commander Quinn to the Dawn Treader. I know you wanted your shot at him before he left." Green stammers a bit, exhales, and says to Saanath, "I'll be back!" befor hurrying out of the room. Keyes says, "Okay Saanath, let's go see your friends. " Saanath follows the capatin and the other manup to the officers quarters, and finally to Keye's own dining room.[/sblock]

Ktarle, Tomas, Ruzz'koff, and Saanath:[Sblock]

Keyes leaves the room, and without much more to do, everyone finishes their meal. The vidscreen keeps showing the recording, but the presenters say little of substance beyond what has already been revealed. About forty-five minutes later, Keyes returns, with someone whose bearing a business suit simply screams out "LAWYER!". As they enter, they see Saanath trailing not far behind. Keyes turns down the volume on the vidscreen, then speaks.

"High Command has come to the temporary conclusion that until the exact nature of the biological agent you encountered on Dvonn has been determined, that the nature of the attack and details surrounding it - not the fact that the Dvonn was attacked - will be kept from the public for the purpose of preserving the integrity of the investigation. You will be asked not to reveal your knowledge of this incident to anyone outside of ISS or specific individuals and offices within the Ministry of Justice." He glances briefly back at the suit, who nods discretely. "You, I am afirad, may be in some danger, should Walid Nells Corzin and his allies learn that you survived and could possibly testify against them in court. I, and Counsel-at-Large Benecic here, have have been asked to go over some options with you.

First, you three, along with the young man named Saaath who Green has her claws in down below will be asked to testify against the people responsible as soon as more are apprehended. I assume there will be no objection to this.

Second, all the survivors will receive some compensation for their trouble and will enter protection until the trials of the perpetrators can begin. The investigation is proceding, but I am pleased to say that tt is a virtual certainly that the four of you, Scout Zaedhrarrg, and the estate of Captain Darius [ooc: The absence of both Quinn's and Trelene's names in the list of names is a bit surprising.] will receive a reward and very likely an Imperial citation for your brave actions surrouding the rescue of the marooned Dvonn and her defense from hostile forces under peril of your own lives. The Imperium owes you all a great deal, both for the rescue of so many citizens and for bringing a number of criminal activities to light, no to mention making us aware of a potentially deadly biological threat."

At this point Keyes pauses very briefly, perhaps to see if pepole so far have any comments. Ktarle and Ruzz'koff, notice tha the news is now showing Keyes on screen, making some sort of statement. The captioning at the bottom of the screen reads,

"The heavily damaged Dvonn was rescued after arriving in the Dukh System earlier today. Keyes: "The Imperial Navy has taken possession of the Dvonn and her susrvivors are being cared for. We can confirm damge to the life support system, but we are busy analyzing its computer record to learn more." Interviewer: "Can you confirm that Dvonn was imperiled through the deliberate inactino of a member of the Archduke's family?" Keyes: "I cannot comment on that at present. [*his visage turns almsot imperceptibly sly*] According to all available information, however, the recording broadcast today is genuine. The Justice Ministry will have further comment later today, but at this point I need to return to the investigation." Interviewer: "Thank you, Captain Keyes. That was Richard Keyes, captain of the Empress Margaretm the Naval destroyer that ultimately rescued the Dvonn. For IBC1, I'm..."[/sblock]

Dorothy, Trel
[sblock]Trel nods grimly. "I will not dishonor my mate's memory by signing away my right to speak about how she died." He takes the papers and beins trying to sort them out. He looks quite frustrated after a bit, and Dorothy think he could indeed use some aid in dealing with these (to an Aslan) female matters. As she notes this, she sees Captain Keyes is on for a a brief interview on the vidscreen.

Interviewer: "Where is the Dvonn now?"
Keyes: "The Imperial Navy has taken possession of the Dvonn and her susrvivors are being cared for. We can confirm damge to the life support system, but we are busy analyzing its computer record to learn more."
Interviewer: "Can you confirm that Dvonn was imperiled through the deliberate inactino of a member of the Archduke's family?"
Keyes: "I cannot comment on that at present. [*his visage turns almsot imperceptibly sly*] According to all available information, however, the recording broadcast today is genuine. The Justice Ministry will have further comment later today, but at this point I need to return to the investigation."
Interviewer: "Thank you, Captain Keyes. That was Richard Keyes, captain of the Empress Margaretm the Naval destroyer that ultimately rescued the Dvonn. For IBC1, I'm..."[/sblock]

Trelene
[sblock]
Trelene is left alone in her effective cell. some minimal fod and drink is brought to her, but she is otherwise left to er thoughts and worries.[/sblock]

Last edited:

DrZombie

First Post
Maerdwyn,Ktarle, Tomas, Ruzz'koff, and Saanath:[Sblock]

Second, all the survivors will receive some compensation for their trouble and will enter protection until the trials of the perpetrators can begin. The investigation is proceding, but I am pleased to say that tt is a virtual certainly that the four of you, Scout Zaedhrarrg, and the estate of Captain Darius [ooc: The absence of both Quinn's and Trelene's names in the list of names is a bit surprising.] will receive a reward and very likely an Imperial citation for your brave actions surrouding the rescue of the marooned Dvonn and her defense from hostile forces under peril of your own lives. The Imperium owes you all a great deal, both for the rescue of so many citizens and for bringing a number of criminal activities to light, no to mention making us aware of a potentially deadly biological threat."

[/sblock]

[sblock]
"Excuse me, but aren't we missing some people here? Quinn? Trelene?" Ruzz'koff says, his eyes suspicious.
[/sblock]

Last edited:

Maerdwyn

First Post
Ktarle, Tomas, Ruzz'koff, and Saanath:

[sblock]
"Excuse me, but aren't we missing some people here? Quinn? Trelene?" Ruzz'koff says, his eyes suspicious."

Here, Captain keyes begins to speak, and is abruptly silenced by the lawyer, who was looking darkyl at Keyes ever since he read that list of names off. Counselor Benecic softens his expression as he turns to the rest of you and says, "Force Commander Quinn has consented further questioning which will take place on the Dawn Treader [Ruzz'koff and Tomas know that is the name of the Emperor's flagship], which will probe fully the extent of his involvment with the Nellsian regime and these unfortunate occurances, if any such relation ship does in fact exist. I have his signed waiver here, if you would like to review it. The status of Ms. Scrautigue, is, I am afraid, much less certain. She has been less cooperative with the investigation, and I am told she is likely to be arrested shortly." [/sblock]

DrZombie

First Post
Maerdwyn said:
Ktarle, Tomas, Ruzz'koff, and Saanath:

[sblock]
"The status of Ms. Scrautigue, is, I am afraid, much less certain. She has been less cooperative with the investigation, and I am told she is likely to be arrested shortly." [/sblock]

[sblock]
"Arrested? Nonsense. She was in it with the rest of us. She took the same risk, and almost got killed. I doubt she had anythng to do with it. Maybe if we could speak with her?"
[/sblock]

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads