• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

High Level Ranger vs Fighter Powers

Otterscrubber

First Post
Is it just me or do the high level Fighter powers seem to dish out more damage than the high level Ranger powers? This seems odd to me as Rangers are supposed to fill a damage dealing role and I would think their powers would outstrip any defenders in that regard.

ac_noj

First Post
Is it just me or do the high level Fighter powers seem to dish out more damage than the high level Ranger powers? This seems odd to me as Rangers are supposed to fill a damage dealing role and I would think their powers would outstrip any defenders in that regard.

You're quite right, Fighters have some really good powers. In fact it's a good idea to multi-class Fighter and take some of them.

Otterscrubber

First Post
That's kinda what I was thinking, just didn't want to give up any feats if I didn't have to. There are a lot of non-combat feats that I'm interested in getting, like sure climber and agile athlete. Getting those plus some nice combat ones PLUS coughing up a few for fighter MC is a rough choice. Guess that means they got the balance right :)

Nifft

Penguin Herder
Rangers also have things like Master of the Hunt (Utility 22, add Wisdom bonus to damage rolls). Thus, getting 5 "little" attacks can turn into really quite a lot of damage.

Cheers, -- N

Stalker0

Legend
Rangers do an extra +3d8 each shot at epic levels (I say that because I can't see a ranger not taking the improved quarry feat by that point). Fighter powers have a long way to go to catch up to that damage.

Lord Sessadore

Explorer
Rangers do an extra +3d8 each shot at epic levels (I say that because I can't see a ranger not taking the improved quarry feat by that point). Fighter powers have a long way to go to catch up to that damage.
Well, you only get hunter's quarry once per round. +3d8 is nothing to sneer at, but it doesn't get added to every attack ;)

darkadelphia

First Post
I don't think the intention of the OP was to say that Rangers did less damage than fighters, but to say that Rangers multi-classed to Fighter do more damage than regular Rangers.

Larrin

Entropic Good
Actually where rangers can make up lost ground is in the additional attacks adding additional STR+enhnacement+feats. at high levels this can be easily 15 damage (+6 enhancment, +3 feat, +6-8 stat) which is ~2[w] to 4[w]'s average damage depending on weapon (i'm just eyeballing the math, correct it if you feel so inclined)

if we look at level 29 fighter powers we have: (i'll ignore stances, since they really muck things up)
a 7[w] reliable + 1Xstr,enhancements,etc
a 5[w]+ 1Xstr,enhancements,etc, half on miss

rangers have:
3 2[w] ranged attack, essentially 6[w] + 3Xdex,enhancments,etc+3d8, half on each miss
and a 3[x] +1[w]->4[w] (assume same weapons in each hand)+2xstr+3d8,etc, half of the 3[w] on a miss, and if both hit you negate the triggering attack. (side note: i dislike this being the level 29 mellee power, its good, but it really doesn't feel like the capstone power of a two weapon ranger)

now the fact that rangers make multiple attacks makes them less black and white, if you miss on 2 of three shots, how does that compare to the reliable 7[w] fighter power. i don't know. But they have very great damage potential. But so do fighters. Damage is part of both their jobs, but they dish it out very differently.

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads